• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Motor getting hot

wilko331984

Evening all. Tonight I decided to put 5.5t hobbywing combo in my 4wd buggy. I've just tried it out (in the dining room) and the motor is getting pretty warm just from a slow drive for a couple of minutes. What do I need to do? Something can't be right cos the usual stock motor I had in there ran slightly warm after a thrashing outside.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

It's a bsd flux assault. I was told it should be fine in it. Basically I needed a new spur gear so was sent this set with the guy saying it would be alright in there. Will it be alright with the old gears back in there do you think?

I don't know enough about the buggy but to me, A 5.5t in a BSD sounds too powerful to me. What is the stock pinion and spur, and what is the stock motor? A general rule when going too a faster motor is to gear down?

stock was 15/39 and now you're at 24/55 with a more powerful motor?

• Like 1

I don't know enough about the buggy but to me, A 5.5t in a BSD sounds too powerful to me. What is the stock pinion and spur, and what is the stock motor? A general rule when going too a faster motor is to gear down?

stock was 15/39 and now you're at 24/55 with a more powerful motor?

Just sorted it now mate. Pit the stock gears back on and it's perfectly fine. Just had to slow it down a bit though on the program card as I knew it would be fast. The only problem now is that it's faster in reverse. Can you change that on the ezrun escs or do I have to resolder wires over on the motor?

• Like 1

A better starting point would be your 55t spur and 15t pinion. 

Did you calibrate the esc to the trasmitter?

I believe so yes. Although it's still a bit strange at times getting it to go forwards/backwards. It takes sometimes 3/4 attempts on the trigger to get it to move.

As in a bit too hesitant? Could be cogging, I'm still not happy with your gearing. What motor was in it before?

It's got the same setup back in there now as it was standard. Still can't get reverse properly and it does seem to cog a bit at slower speeds.

The setup is a stock bsd 3259kv brushless motor combo. If I could find who manufactures the bsd's it would be easier so I could buy more parts and upgrades but It's a nightmare. The parts on century are very expensive.

21 minutes ago, wilko331984 said:

It's got the same setup back in there now as it was standard. Still can't get reverse properly and it does seem to cog a bit at slower speeds.

The setup is a stock bsd 3259kv brushless motor combo. If I could find who manufactures the bsd's it would be easier so I could buy more parts and upgrades but It's a nightmare. The parts on century are very expensive.

BSD racing http://www.bsdracing.com/app/menu.php?op=index they have collaboration of some sort with Century (uk parts distribution?)

Unfortunately like Guns says for the lesser known brands parts can be hard to find/expensive.

BSD racing http://www.bsdracing.com/app/menu.php?op=index they have collaboration of some sort with Century (uk parts distribution?)

Unfortunately like Guns says for the lesser known brands parts can be hard to find/expensive.

Yeah, unfortunate too because these flux assaults are bulletproof. It's that good I bought another rolling chassis. Just wish I had more knowledge on compatible parts and setting up the esc to reverse again. :(

Thinking about it, it's best asking you guys really as I'm obviously no professional. I want to get this thing a bit quicker. What sort of motor combo would you go for with a buggy? And what gears?

Well if it's bulletproof then it's not unfortunate as you will never need parts. 

OK, maybe not quite bulletproof but all I've needed so far is a spur gear due to a stone getting wedged and rounding off some of the teeth. [emoji1]

I would leave the stock spur but run a smaller pinion as you should gear down at least 4 teeth from stock running something hefty like that, going up 16 teeth on the spur is quite a big jump so the motor could be hitting its top revs way quicker and just overheating badly. If you stick with the 55t, run the stock pinion and test the temps. I had to drop 5 teeth on my FTX hooligan after putting a 9 turn motor in there. Also, brushless has a finer sweetspot compared to brushed. Id also drop the motor timing to minimum and also the acceleration, should cool the motor by a good 10 degrees.

• Like 1

I would leave the stock spur but run a smaller pinion as you should gear down at least 4 teeth from stock running something hefty like that, going up 16 teeth on the spur is quite a big jump so the motor could be hitting its top revs way quicker and just overheating badly. If you stick with the 55t, run the stock pinion and test the temps. I had to drop 5 teeth on my FTX hooligan after putting a 9 turn motor in there. Also, brushless has a finer sweetspot compared to brushed. Id also drop the motor timing to minimum and also the acceleration, should cool the motor by a good 10 degrees.

OK, thanks for the help mate. I'll try this on my rolling chassis. That's going to be my test car now. :)

• Like 1