• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya (M-02L) upgrade - fun on a budget

andraco

I have got an old 1/10th electric Tamiya (M-02L 2(r)wd road), which I have picked up as "not working" from an auction. £55 including postage.  Everything came with it, what was recommended at the time (90`s most likely) (acoms tran, etc). The car has Mercedes SLK body, Stock everything, no upgrades, mechanical SC, seemingly hardly ever used. 

My plan is to gradually build a old/ new fast fun car out of it on a budget out of repro cheap parts. I will post progress and cost to here as I go on. Yes, I can hear you. Probably it would be cheaper to buy a decent one to start with. To me, it is like when folks build tuning cars out of an old golf or something. (or  Mercedes SLK in fact)  :-) I might do a build video.

Here is the car as it is now:

large.SAM_3172.JPG

Problems so far:

Transmitter was not working: Battery was leaking out at some point. After cleaning the solidified acid off, it worked faultless. Until actually the point when I gave a test run and the transmitter switched itself off, while the SC servo stuck on full power, the steering servo stuck to the right. It took me a while till I caught the car... :-D Further cleaning was required.... 

Purchasing 2x 3300 mah NiMH + dumb&slow charger (new) £29

large.SAM_3171.JPG

Replacing the mechanical SC to ESC. Purchased this for £10 (fleebay). Waterproof apparently. 

large.SAM_3169.JPG

New budget 15 turn motor (£10)

large.SAM_3174.JPG

Edited by andraco
  • Like 1