• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

Thanks!

Yes, the diff won't have any issues with 13.5t. It has metal innards and a thick plastic casing that isn't at all prone to flexing.

You might want to upgrade the dogbones though. The stock items have hollow shafts and plastic ends, making them light but not terribly strong. I prefer the all-metal ones from the WT-01 trucks, part number 19805551.

And of course a steel pinion is a good idea in place of the stock soft alloy one, but you probably knew that.

Edited by XV Pilot

11 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Any recommendations for NiHM battery packs?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

My over lander 3300 has dropped a cell :-(

I have had good service from my Carson packs. Some are over 5 years old now and still firing on all cells.

• 2 weeks later...

XVP, or any other Tamiya owner with a TL-01 chassis, need a small favour please, could someone please measure the width of the front and rear suspension arms, where they mount onto the diff casing? Both inner and outer measurements. I'm working on a project :-)

Sure, will do so when I get home, unless someone beats me to it.

Most interested to hear more about your project!

Sure, will do so when I get home, unless someone beats me to it.

Most interested to hear more about your project!

Just toying with some ideas. And the arms are only the start..... i suspect you know what this project is... ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

You ought to be in luck then.

The TL-01 (and M-03, M-04, M-05, M-06, MF-01X, WT-01, WR-01, WR-02 and no doubt many others) use suspension arms with 24mm inner and 45mm outer measurements.

I don't have a TB-01 to hand to measure, but based on the fact that the one-piece TL-01LA suspension arms also fit the TB-01, I see no problems fitting it with TL-01B arms.

I thought they should be somewhat similar. Ill measure my TB-01 when im home. Arms partly sorted. The hunt for a

shock tower will prove to be a little difficult. Dogbones from the TL-01b will fit nicely and coupled with longer outer drive cups from the WR01 (and may other tamiyas) it will give a fairly wide stance.

TL-01B dogbones will indeed fit, but with their lightweight hollow shafts and plastic end pieces, they aren't particularly strong. Might I suggest the all-metal ones from the WT-01 instead? They are the same length and will fit right in.

TL-01B dogbones will indeed fit, but with their lightweight hollow shafts and plastic end pieces, they aren't particularly strong. Might I suggest the all-metal ones from the WT-01 instead? They are the same length and will fit right in.

Yes you may. Lol. Thank you

Lord Dave,

Naturally I have both. 01B arms and driveshafts (mix of new and used) and a very tidy, hardly run DF02 which is likely as not going up for sale as I don't use it. It has some hop ups fitted and on 3s was really rather silly!

However.....as you know my current situation of boxed crap, I can only 100% confirm the whereabouts of the DF02....:lol:

The Torque Tuned usually runs quite cool in my experience. It almost always passes the 5-second finger test even after a long run. 

• 1 month later...

Been a while since this thread saw life, fortunately, I have questions to ask of The Guru....

Ordered a re-re Brat, because why not. Esc-less, but combos and servos I have in abundance, RS bearings on the way. Nothing much going in terms of upgrades it seems, so, what, if anything, can be done to improve it?

Also, what pitch and max size pinny can I fit?

Cheers :035:

• Like 2

A nice choice Mr Noj, I'm sorry I can't however suggest anything suitable for your vehicle. I'm guessing it has oil shocks? Steel pinion is always a good choice, as we all know Tamiya alloy pinions are a bit wussy.

• Like 1

Sounds like a fun purchase!

The Brat is based on the ORV chassis, which takes 0.8 Module pinions.

It is supplied with three alternative spur gears in the kit - 49, 50 and 52t with which you use 19, 18 and 16t pinions respectively. The stock pinions are alloy, so steel upgrades are a good idea as TMaxxDave suggests.

The diff can push itself apart if you try to put a lot of power through it, so the so-called OldFrogShot diff mod is a good idea in such cases. This involves putting a screw through the middle of the diff to hold it together - the link below shows how:

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=24674&sid=3142

Centralising the steering servo is another popular mod, which requires making up some new tierods.

AmPro have some slightly expensive but highly effective 3D printed metal braces on Shapeways which significantly strengthen the rear swing arm shock mounts. Link below:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/U4ZQNUV9H/tamiya-orv-swing-arm-shock-brace?li=shareProduct

And of course you might still find the CRP skidplate and bumper coming up on eBay now and then.

• Like 1