• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TT01E - Better Choice Chassis

Kpowell911

Hi, I really wanna make an R/C Version of my 1:1 car...

I have a VW Scirocco.

11218059_10153667092617558_8841977935667

Now Tamiya make a Scirocco Race Car, on the TT01E chassis...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-1-10-RC-Volkswagen-Scirocco-GT24-R-Line-TT-01E-300058508-58508-/331783139014?hash=item4d3fd0eec6:g:q9YAAOSw9N1Vu3l1

Is this my best bet? Im only gonna run a mild EZ Run brushless, but is that really my best choice of chassis??  I mean it doesnt even come with bearings! Obviously id paint the shell white, leave the wing off and use minimal decals.

Whats the minimum Id need for this chassis? Bearings?
Any wheels similar to what I have on my 1:1 in R/C form?
Thanks

The TT chassis is basic in stock form, but has huge upgrade potential.

Personally I am fine with it not coming with bearings - I can then choose whether I want rubber seals for rally or metal shields for clean track use.

Like many Tamiyas, the TT-01E  benefits from the Big 3 -  bearings, oil shocks and a steel pinion. An alloy propshaft is also a good idea if upgrading the motor.

4 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

The TT chassis is basic in stock form, but has huge upgrade potential.

Personally I am fine with it not coming with bearings - I can then choose whether I want rubber seals for rally or metal shields for clean track use.

Like many Tamiyas, the TT-01E  benefits from the Big 3 -  bearings, oil shocks and a steel pinion. An alloy propshaft is also a good idea if upgrading the motor.

I'm fully aware of the TT01s upgrade potential, I spent hundreds on my last one when they first came out. Which is my issue. You end up spending Xray Race Touring car money on a cheapo chassis.

From the tamiya lineup, the tb-04 should require so much less basic upgrades out of the box. Just check if the wheelbase fits desired shell.

Maybe get the shell you want in the form of the tt01 kit, sell the rest of the kit nib, keep the shell and wheels

Did that once with a tamiya xb (xpert build - aka rtr) kit, just for the beatifully factory painted shell

Edited by danb1974

Since the fullsize is FWD, how about putting a FWD chassis under the shell? The Tamiya FF-03 or FF-04 would give you bearings, turnbuckles, race-grade fibre-reinforced plastics, etc, plus handling and weight balance more like the real thing, and the body posts would line up with the holes/dimples in the shell as they are in the same positions as on the TT-01.

Yeah, tamiya is kind of making money from nice memories, selling the same 80's designs again and again, all the flaws and shortcomings still in the box (except the trf series, but those are expensive)

12 hours ago, TMaxxDave said:

Feeling a little insulted that you'd choose Turnigy over Tamiya, lol, but can see your point

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Tamiya cant be releasing kits with bushings, posi drive screws and friction shocks in 2016..... at ANY level point. They're not even that cheap! Shells and TRF Cars are all that theyre good for these days. Im actually offended but what Tamiya attempt to sell these days.

Tamiya cant be releasing kits with bushings, posi drive screws and friction shocks in 2016..... at ANY level point. They're not even that cheap! Shells and TRF Cars are all that theyre good for these days. Im actually offended but what Tamiya attempt to sell these days.

Very valid point mate :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo