• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Strada Evo

Thanks.

Motor Limit: 2S LiPo or 6 cell NiMH: 540 or 550-size motor great than or equal to 12 turn, RPM over 30,000 at 7.2v

Motor Limit: 3S LiPo or 9 cell NiMH: 540 or 550-size motor great than or equal to 18 turn, RPM over 20,000 at 7.2v

Dogbones are all stock.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Grimsnot said:

Thanks.

Motor Limit: 2S LiPo or 6 cell NiMH: 540 or 550-size motor great than or equal to 12 turn, RPM over 30,000 at 7.2v

Motor Limit: 3S LiPo or 9 cell NiMH: 540 or 550-size motor great than or equal to 18 turn, RPM over 20,000 at 7.2v

Dogbones are all stock.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Are you sure there's not a binding issue causing your motor to overheat?

I must say I never ran mine brushed for more than a handful of packs, though do remember it seemed pretty quick considering.

If your only wanting to replace the motor then ~£10 will do it, i'd try a different can, maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPI-Saturn-20T-Brushed-Upgrade-Motor-540-Type-Size-HPI-1136-/251454613895?hash=item3a8bdce987:g:yLkAAMXQEgpTBd6r

You should get away with the same gearing, or if you want to push the budget a little then:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-53068-RS-540-Sport-Tuned-Motor-OP68-23T-Brushed-1-10-RC-Car-Buggy-/111709755312?hash=item1a026b97b0:g:iMcAAOSwyQtVlk9U

The motor Chewie linked (FTX?) is a 550, and will provide a bit more torque, though you'll need a smaller pinion to compensate for the increased speed (lower Turn motor is faster) - you'll then hit the issue that you may not be able to move the motor close enough in the mount before it hits the centre driveshaft.  You'll have this issue with any faster motor, though the ftx one's from memory are a little bigger in diameter.  Personally I'd chuck a cheap brushless system in it, for around £35.  You should be able to recoup £5-£10 for your existing brushed esc too.  

Alternatively, if I can find them, your welcome to a brushed motor  or two of mine, for the cost of postage (it will be a small parcel so about £3).  I should have the original out my strada clone, used, as well as a brand new one from the last batch of clones I had in (as one went as a roller).  I'll have a look when home this evening after work.

• Like 2

Took the motor out and found that the fan inside has melted, managed to get it out....  goodness knows where the rest of it is.  The wheels turn easier now with the new bearings that came with the upgraded parts we put on it.  I can't feel any resistance with it - 

20160511_085927.jpg

20160511_091143.jpg

.....  thank you for the offer of the spare motors you have, kind of you ! - might take you up on that.  I did look at brushless not long ago, but couldn't find anything for £35.  Didn't see much point in spending loads as the car only cost £100 in the first place.  Saying that, we probably spent more than that on parts, new charger etc... 

2 hours ago, Grimsnot said:

.....  thank you for the offer of the spare motors you have, kind of you ! - might take you up on that.  I did look at brushless not long ago, but couldn't find anything for £35.  Didn't see much point in spending loads as the car only cost £100 in the first place.  Saying that, we probably spent more than that on parts, new charger etc... 

No problem, I'll dig through later and see what's left.  That fan def melted?  I ask as usually when mini me overheats a brushed motor the little resistor will unsolder itself long before anything else - I wonder if you had a piece of grit get inside?

Brushless!  

Waterproof, cheap and fairly reliable I'd suggest this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41129__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_10_Brushless_Power_System_3000KV_80A_UK_Warehouse_.html

Annoyingly it's very often on offer at £35....but not currently.

Extreme budget then ebay is your friend - it can be done for under £30 if you don't mind waiting (or a few quid more via Chinese english reshippers) and are willing to take a chance on longevity.

A good, but not high end, set up new will run you £70-£80 - it's an option as it'll hold resale value and should be more reliable long term so you could transplant it into another model.

• Like 1

I would say so yeah, unless it didn't have one in the first place....  you can see in the photo the original motor which still has the fan, the newer one on the left hasn't.

20160511_091346.jpg

Just now, Grimsnot said:

Would our existing batteries work with the Turnigy combo?  We have a couple hpi Plazma 7.2V NiMh batteries, one 4300mAh and the other 4700

Peter

They will yh, then when you move to lipo's you'll get another nice little bump in speed and runtimes (like for like).  

1 minute ago, Grimsnot said:

I have a couple 3s and a 6s on order with my Kraton when it hopefully turns up at the end of the month.  A doubt they'll work with it though.  

Lol, i've seen a 4S strada self destruct, never a 6!  3S is doable, though expect heavy wear to the drivetrain, coupled with inexpensive repairs when you stack it into things.

4S isn't shabby in a Kraton mind, and if you do that as 2x2S you'll have lipos that'll fit the Strada.....

32 minutes ago, Grimsnot said:

We've already snapped a few dogbones.....  I'm guessing they would die every few minutes with a big increase in power ;-) 

Likely.  I run 3300kv in my SCT with the stock pinion - it's quick enough, torquey but hasn't resulted in huge amounts of wear.

I run an 80a/3520kv combo on 2s in my Carnage (Which isn't too different to the Strada I believe) it's rapid but not too bonkers. I run the 80a/3000kv combo on 3s in my Hooligan, that is bonkers. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went for the HPI Saturn 20T in the end, working well so far !!  

My boy wanted to put together a video, it's a little long and has some naff transitions...  but was fun to do.

3 hours ago, Grimsnot said:

Went for the HPI Saturn 20T in the end, working well so far !!  

My boy wanted to put together a video, it's a little long and has some naff transitions...  but was fun to do.

Awesome work there!  I especially like how nonplussed the cat was at being used as the centre of an oval!  From the amount of footage i'd say you've gotten your $$ worth from the Strada :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2016 at 14:26, chewbacca said:

I want to bash that bash site!

A little more footage of the site here - 

and...

Either shot by my children or one hand driving & the other filming.  Will get some better footage up there soon hopefully.

On 11/05/2016 at 12:49, capri-boy said:

No problem, I'll dig through later and see what's left.  That fan def melted?  I ask as usually when mini me overheats a brushed motor the little resistor will unsolder itself long before anything else - I wonder if you had a piece of grit get inside?

Brushless!  

Waterproof, cheap and fairly reliable I'd suggest this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41129__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_10_Brushless_Power_System_3000KV_80A_UK_Warehouse_.html

Annoyingly it's very often on offer at £35....but not currently.

Extreme budget then ebay is your friend - it can be done for under £30 if you don't mind waiting (or a few quid more via Chinese english reshippers) and are willing to take a chance on longevity.

A good, but not high end, set up new will run you £70-£80 - it's an option as it'll hold resale value and should be more reliable long term so you could transplant it into another model.

My son burnt out the Saturn motor :-(  We had a spare Maverick one, so have that installed at the moment.  It appears that the Strada Evo doesn't like grass !   Seriously considering putting the brushless motor in that you suggested http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41129__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_10_Brushless_Power_System_3000KV_80A_UK_Warehouse_.html   Haven't noticed the price at £35 again though.   A little conserned that it'll burn out too....  you think it'll be a lot more reliable ?

Peter

38 minutes ago, Grimsnot said:

My son burnt out the Saturn motor :-(  We had a spare Maverick one, so have that installed at the moment.  It appears that the Strada Evo doesn't like grass !   Seriously considering putting the brushless motor in that you suggested http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41129__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_10_Brushless_Power_System_3000KV_80A_UK_Warehouse_.html   Haven't noticed the price at £35 again though.   A little conserned that it'll burn out too....  you think it'll be a lot more reliable ?

Peter

I think you'll find your not driving it as hard to get the performance you want, so it's not as stressed as a brushed motor run hard.  That said even football field length grass can be a struggle for a 1:10, so it's def something to watch.

If you don't have a temp gun now would be a good time to invest, will help you keep the big nero in tip top condition.

Do you think new tires might help too ?  It appears to work fine on gravel, or in the woodland....  every time it's burnt out it's been on grass. 

I'll look up some temp guns.

Just now, Grimsnot said:

Do you think new tires might help too ?  It appears to work fine on gravel, or in the woodland....  every time it's burnt out it's been on grass. 

I'll look up some temp guns.

Grass is hard on an rc, massively increases the rolling resistance compared to gravel / dirt - that's most likely the issue, unless the grass was very short and you we're getting very little traction, wheelspinning and thus pushing the motor to it's limits.  You can compensate for such with a stronger (torque)  motor, not faster.  A larger diameter motor won't fit in the strada but there's plenty of space for a longer can (though most of the bigger 36mm cans tend to have 5mm rotors so you'll need to source a new pinion.)

Even running 1/8 buggy/truggy I can tell by motor temps when the grass needs cutting at the local park!