• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/10 vs 190mm vs 200mm bodyshells

m1tch_87

Hi all,

Just getting slightly confused about the different bodyshells, I do know that the 1/10 size shells are quite generic whereas the 190mm and 200mm shells are the width of the shell.

I am just looking at different bodyshells for my TT-02 build, I measured the bodyshell the car came with and I believe that its a 200mm shell, however it's quite flexible and I measured it in its uncut form.

Just wondering how best to check which size bodyshell I should get - is it a case of putting everything together, put the wheels on and measure the outside  to outside wheel width to get the correct size shell? I believe the TT-02 uses 190mm shells but I am unsure as there is conflicting info out there, the TT-02 chassis is actually quite narrow it seems but I am unsure which size shell I should go for.

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Juggernaut jims said:

You can buy a 190 she'll and get offset wheels to fill the gaps of a 200mm shell of that makes sense 

Yeah I see what you mean, I know that you can get offset wheels for the drift cars, I will double check the specs on this body, I have a feeling that its a 190mm shell, once I get the kit together I will check the width of the wheels. I have seen a lot of nice 190mm bodies so I have a feeling I might be buying a fair few so that I can own the cars that I can't in rear life! I also saw that there was a set of 5 protoform TC bodies for something like £50 eg £10 a shell, might be worth looking at getting a few basher bodies as well, plus some aero bodies.

Generally speaking, electric cars are 190mm, nitros are 200mm. So most Tamiya shells are nearer 190mm, give or take a couple of millimeters. A lot of Tamiya kit wheels can have a 2-3mm offset as well. I'm pretty sure my old TA05 with a Tamiya GTR shell, could just squeeze HPI 6mm offset rims in the rear arches, and 3mm in the fronts.

14 hours ago, Trackstar said:

Generally speaking, electric cars are 190mm, nitros are 200mm. So most Tamiya shells are nearer 190mm, give or take a couple of millimeters. A lot of Tamiya kit wheels can have a 2-3mm offset as well. I'm pretty sure my old TA05 with a Tamiya GTR shell, could just squeeze HPI 6mm offset rims in the rear arches, and 3mm in the fronts.

Thanks for that, I had a further look into it and my TT02 chassis does indeed take a 190mm shell, I have also ordered a 200mm shell as well as, like you said, you can get offset wheels, I would just need a 6mm offset wheel to then give me the extra 12mm of width overall, I will however double check my model as I believe there is also a 'wide' setting by swapping out a few parts.

Although I haven't fitted the bodyshell posts yet I couldn't wait to just drop the spare 190mm body I bought onto it to check the fitment :)

IMG_0464_zpsujyceakl.jpg