• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Why so sloppy?

everclear1984

Can anyone shed some light on why I have so much play in the wheels? All four corners are the same. I thought it was down to knackered bearings so I fitted fresh ones but it's no better. None of the steering parts are moving so it's nothing to do with the ball joints. It's driving me crazy!

https://youtu.be/Mxvkys6wxK4

*sorry for the portrait video. Still can't get them to embed!

4 minutes ago, evssv said:

Shims wil sort it:good:....all our 1/8th trucks have play. ...sum more then others. .....but on my s-mt4g3 i shimmed almost  all of it out the  axals.... left a tiny  bit in 

Sorry if this is a dumb question but where would a shim be needed, gotta be worth a try.

I went into my local hobby shop and asked if he had any shims......... He looked at me as if I was asking fro Plutonium!

Where did you get those shims from, EVSSV, if I may ask? I still have play on the MT4 rear...

(Sorry for the thread hijack)

Edited by Deadleg Roberts

Ahh the Trophy buggy slop, you could replace every part and there would still be excessive slop. The Trophy is just really bad for it, shims are the answer. Did you get the car brand new? If so there should be a little pack of them included in the box....i used mine for the diffs but they should work fine for the hubs as they have the same size bearings. I never bothered shimming out the slop...the car goes great and nothing has broke, so all good. Modelsport sell a little pack of shims that should do the trick!

Edited by RCpete

1 hour ago, RCpete said:

Acoulde Trophy buggy slop could  replace every part  and there would still be excessive slop. The Trophy is just really bad for it, shims are the answer. Did you get the car brand new? If so there should be a little pack of them included in the box....i used mine for the diffs but they should work fine for the hubs as they have the same size bearings. I never bothered shimming out the slop...the car goes great and nothing has broke, so all good. Modelsport sell a little pack of shims that should do the trick!

Can you do me a favour and link me to the Modelsport shims? I bought it used and could use some for the diffs too.

22 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Never mind, found them :)

edit: you beat me to it

2 hours ago, Deadleg Roberts said:

I went into my local hobby shop and asked if he had any shims......... He looked at me as if I was asking fro Plutonium!

Where did you get those shims from, EVSSV, if I may ask? I still have play on the MT4 rear...

(Sorry for the thread hijack)

22 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Never mind, found them :)

edit: you beat me to it

I use the multi pak they do....fastrax....but take ur pik.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=strax+shims&_sop=10&_osacat=2562&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=fastrax+shims&_sacat=2562

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=shims&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=10&_osacat=2562&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xshim.TRS0&_nkw=shim&_sacat=2562

Edited by evssv

I bought the over-priced 7075 hubs because I was stripping the originals every bash, you'd think they'd be a better fit but I still had to shim them. All good now though.

Asiatees were indeed cheap but postage killed any saving.

Edited by everclear1984

My last load of shims were:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Racing-Stainless-Steel-Shim-Spacer-0-1-0-2-0-3mm-Thickness-3-Type-Set-10pcs-ea-/351196114732?var=&hash=item51c4eb6f2c:m:mMaC5ELZVpqSSlWoxJS_3oA

I didn't bother with mine. I have noticed that other cars ie losi have a large inner bearing around the large part of the axle (joint bit) and the smaller 8mm bearing on the outer and they end up with very little play. The HPI has both bearings the same 8mm size which in effect leaves the large inner part of the axle (joint bit) hanging thus causing lateral force on the bearings creating wobble. Or something like that. All brand new makes no difference, too many shims can cause binding and excessive bearing heat, hexes proper wear where they contact the outer bearing too, I sometimes shim here to compensate the wear.

I also noticed a change by HPI on the D815 to large inner and smaller 8mm outer bearings at the back - could this be why?

Edited by dazp1976

My Losi 8 2.0 (electric conversion) certainly has a bit of slop in pretty much everything but as said above and also by a lot of "experts" in USA you are not supposed to use shims to reduce slop. Why slop in a Losi or any other RC vehicle is good no one has explained yet

1 hour ago, sunny said:

My Losi 8 2.0 (electric conversion) certainly has a bit of slop in pretty much everything but as said above and also by a lot of "experts" in USA you are not supposed to use shims to reduce slop. Why slop in a Losi or any other RC vehicle is good no one has explained yet

Simple and cynical answer is that it stops the manufacturers having to make things 'properly' with lower tolerances.  This would undoubtedly significantly increase the retail prices we pay, which would not be good news of course!  

Mass produced tat, is always mass produced plastic tat.  We then run this bundle of big toleranced tat, bolted (loosely as its tat remember) together as our new pride and joy RC and the movement created by it being tat to start with is exasperated through the tat parts moving and shaking and ovaling etc, making the tat we bought, seem really bad tat after a few runs.

I hope that has helped to explain it? :) 

• Like 1