• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How many speeds? 1, 2, 3, 3+?

m1tch_87

Hi all,

Just working out transmissions for my Rossa project, I can see that the top end speed for the .18 nitro engine is close to 100mph with the open wheel also being around the same (although with a free engine choice up to 7.5cc.

I was just wondering what gearbox I should look to get - could I simply go with a single speed clutch bell and spur with tall gearing or should I look to get a 2 or 3 speed box - I could even look at running 2x gearboxes and a lay shaft to give me up to 6 speeds.

Just wondering what is the usual setup for the higher speed runs.

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, ajlovering said:

2 speeds is OK for 100 mph

Cheers

I have a HPI 2 speed transmission on order, there is a 3 speed upgrade setup but I should be able to run the stock 2 speed transmission and simply gear up the clutch bell gear and input spur gear slightly - need to find out the ratio of the stock box but should give some good options. I already have a threaded clutch bell with a 23t on it so I would just need to match up the spur for the transmission ratio and the diff ratio for final drive.