• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

15 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Cheers, i thought you designed/printed it yourself, in which case i would've asked for the STL to potentially print one myself. 

Can't really talk about them without taking price into account since they're vastly overpriced - but if you take price out of the picture, i think the best thing you could say about them is that they fit the battery tray. Everything else is awful about them for anyone who's charged "normal" batteries before. The ID system is reasonably idiotproof, so i suppose there's a certain niche for that kinda stuff - everyone else is better off with even  Amazon cheapies. They're 25C for cakes sake.

I could make some measurements for ya 😉 

1 minute ago, Tadas said:

I could make some measurements for ya 😉 

Nah mate, not that urgent, thank you - new shell is on the backburner, the current one does work/won't break, just looks boring. For now it's figuring that QS8 stuff out, finding a decent flux pen, waiting for spur etc to be delivered and then go from there. 

Once i'm happy again with the performance, we look at putting lipstick on it. 😄

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Tadas said:

How does Traxxas lipos compare to others? Not talking price, but overall characteristics?  

Never used them, theyre daft money. I bought a used Traxxas and it came with a set of Traxxas ID Lipos and a charger, but they go for good money used so i just sold them

1 minute ago, Kpowell911 said:

Never used them, theyre daft money. I bought a used Traxxas and it came with a set of Traxxas ID Lipos and a charger, but they go for good money used so i just sold them

So does the VXL8s - not everyone is into RC enough to figure out batteries/electronics, so having an "Apple" solution certainly is appealing for some. As a normal hobbyist though..

mighty-car-mods-mcm.gif

11 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

So does the VXL8s - not everyone is into RC enough to figure out batteries/electronics, so having an "Apple" solution certainly is appealing for some. As a normal hobbyist though..

mighty-car-mods-mcm.gif

True, my truck is my childhood dream and my first "serious" RC car, have no experience with Lipos of any kind, thus went with traxxas "for dummies" solution 🙂 Since I don't have anything to compare them to i'm curious would my truck run faster/longer with other brand of lipos?  

26 minutes ago, Tadas said:

True, my truck is my childhood dream and my first "serious" RC car, have no experience with Lipos of any kind, thus went with traxxas "for dummies" solution 🙂 Since I don't have anything to compare them to i'm curious would my truck run faster/longer with other brand of lipos?  

I see, my bad. 

Yes to both. The batteries i ordered there will outlast the Traxxas packs by 50% (ish) and deliver more punch while costing considerably less. TRX connectors are also awful - which i guess if you've never used anything else wouldn't make much of a difference to you.

Now, traxxas LiPos probably aren't the worst packs out there, at least you get a usable warranty - with ebay cheapy lipos you usually don't even know what you get, so when we're talking "other brand" of LiPos, we're talking reputable brands like GensAce, CNHL, Rhino, Graphene Panthers/Rapids etc. 

Different brand of battery usually goes hand in hand with a new ESC though (Max6), which is basically your next step. Decent batteries (and charger), and a Max6. And tools of the trade if required (decent soldering iron etc), since batteries/ESC sometimes require changing connectors (like in my case now). 

Edited by m4inbrain

37 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Thats it, it basically only costs £40ishto upgrade to a Max 6 haha

Would've done the same if mine didn't blow up. Still salty about that lol.

11 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I see, my bad. 

Yes to both. The batteries i ordered there will outlast the Traxxas packs by 50% (ish) and deliver more punch while costing considerably less. TRX connectors are also awful - which i guess if you've never used anything else wouldn't make much of a difference to you.

Now, traxxas LiPos probably aren't the worst packs out there, at least you get a usable warranty - with ebay cheapy lipos you usually don't even know what you get, so when we're talking "other brand" of LiPos, we're talking reputable brands like GensAce, CNHL, Rhino, Graphene Panthers/Rapids etc. 

Different brand of battery usually goes hand in hand with a new ESC though (Max6), which is basically your next step. Decent batteries (and charger), and a Max6. And tools of the trade if required (decent soldering iron etc), since batteries/ESC sometimes require changing connectors (like in my case now). 

I see... will have to keep new lipos/charger in my head from now on 🙂 I did few modifications to my truck, one of them was Max6 🙂 Regarding tools - I got it covered, last addition to the family coming on monday 😄 

https://www.amazon.se/dp/B00F0NUU16/ref=pe_24982401_503747021_TE_SCE_dp_1 

Edited by Tadas
  • Like 1

Not a DeWalt person myself, just keep in mind that the last turn always goes in by hand, not by tool. Especially on the X-Maxx and similar (plastic) chassis. 😉

If  you already got a Max6, then yes, new batteries will make a noticeable difference. Especially if you then push up the punch setting as well - i'm not quite sure Traxxas packs cope well at punch 5 or similar. I assume you do run hardened gears as well as opposed to the sintered stuff Traxxas offers?

23 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Not a DeWalt person myself, just keep in mind that the last turn always goes in by hand, not by tool. Especially on the X-Maxx and similar (plastic) chassis. 😉

If  you already got a Max6, then yes, new batteries will make a noticeable difference. Especially if you then push up the punch setting as well - i'm not quite sure Traxxas packs cope well at punch 5 or similar. I assume you do run hardened gears as well as opposed to the sintered stuff Traxxas offers?

Im not a Dewalt person myself (first Dewalt for me), but can't argue they are quality tools, could probably stand next to Makita, Milwaukee, etc... And yes, i know one must be careful with the last turn thats why i went with this particular tool - on straightened position it acts like a regular screwdriver - thus you can make the last turn with it. 

Though can you enlighten me  about these "Punch settings"? No clue what are you talking about 🙂

Regarding gears - still using stock gears since i newer had any issues with them.

46 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Ok, i have red ESC instruction again 🙂 Yea i'm running on factory defaults, so on Punch 3. I would actually lower it to 2, since i run 90% on gravel and initial tire slip is unwanted.

Edited by Tadas

11 minutes ago, Tadas said:

Though can you enlighten me  about these "Punch settings"? No clue what are you talking about 🙂

Quite simple, really. The Max6 has different "punch" settings, which set  the, well, initial punch of the ESC. 😄

Basically what it does is that it pushes harder, faster. On low setting it sets off slow (you could say, low torque) whereas on high punch settings it just opens the floodgates for all the amps. 

Does that make sense? I'm not 100% sure what witchcraft exactly is happening, my best analogy would be simply the lower the punch setting, the slower it rolls into power - whereas on higher punch settings, it just pushes as many amps as you're asking for. 

That said: you do need decent batteries for that, because you're spiking voltage/amps faster/harder than on lower punch settings. 

14 minutes ago, Tadas said:

Regarding gears - still using stock gears since i newer had any issues with them.

That'll very much change once you play with punch settings lol. Traxxas gears are notorious for stripping once you put some load on them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tadas said:

Ok, red ESC instruction again 🙂 Yea i'm running on factory defaults, so on Punch 3. I would actually lover it to 2, since i run 90% on gravel and initial tire slip is unwanted.

There's no initial tyre slip, there's just not enough control in your finger. 😉

I don't run the stock radio anymore, so i have exponential throttle. Might be something you'd like to look into - basically, decent radios have a programmable throttle curve. Instead of linear throttle response, you get, well, exponential. Still 100% power at 100% throttle, but you can set it so that on the first 40% throttle, you only get 30% power, for example (then ramping up slightly faster from there). Leads to finer throttle control.

2 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

There's no initial tyre slip, there's just not enough control in your finger. 😉

I don't run the stock radio anymore, so i have exponential throttle. Might be something you'd like to look into - basically, decent radios have a programmable throttle curve. Instead of linear throttle response, you get, well, exponential. Still 100% power at 100% throttle, but you can set it so that on the first 40% throttle, you only get 30% power, for example (then ramping up slightly faster from there). Leads to finer throttle control.

I have red about this - basically you can program your truck to run like TDI or supercharged 😄 

You do realize my wish list doesn't have end 😄 Keep adding things 😄 

Just now, Tadas said:

I have red about this - basically you can program your truck to run like TDI or supercharged 😄 

You do realize my wish list doesn't have end 😄 Keep adding things 😄 

Technically that's correct. Either all power at the beginning of the throttle travel (diesel), linear (supercharged) or at the end of the travel (twin 90mm turbos). 

Looks like this then.

3692811494?profile=original

Though inverted in your case - here the guy wanted more power faster, so at 25% throttle he gets 40% power. At 50% throttle he gets 50% power, at 75% throttle 60% power etc pp. 

Much like "sport" settings in modern cars, they don't make the engine more powerful, they just adjust the throttle curve so for the same amount of throttle pedal travel, you get more air/fuel - but at full throttle, nothing changes.

To add to that, if you change to a decent radio, you also unlock the possibility to run proper aftermarket servos since in stock form, you can't fit 7.4v servos (well you can, but you have to run them at 6v since otherwise the Traxxas receiver blows  up). 

9 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Technically that's correct. Either all power at the beginning of the throttle travel (diesel), linear (supercharged) or at the end of the travel (twin 90mm turbos). 

Looks like this then.

3692811494?profile=original

Though inverted in your case - here the guy wanted more power faster, so at 25% throttle he gets 40% power. At 50% throttle he gets 50% power, at 75% throttle 60% power etc pp. 

Much like "sport" settings in modern cars, they don't make the engine more powerful, they just adjust the throttle curve so for the same amount of throttle pedal travel, you get more air/fuel - but at full throttle, nothing changes.

To add to that, if you change to a decent radio, you also unlock the possibility to run proper aftermarket servos since in stock form, you can't fit 7.4v servos (well you can, but you have to run them at 6v since otherwise the Traxxas receiver blows  up). 

and this is why i love this hobby - endless improvements 🙂

7 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

and this is why i love this hobby - endless money required 🙂

True, but i feal more relaxed after shock restoration vs thai massage 😄 If it makes me happy - its worth it 😛  

Hi

I got my first X-Max and then realized it's hard to find a place to test/run it. It's harder to find a place where I can run the X max. What are the suggestions. I need to find a place a place in Buckinghamshire (Specially around High Wycombe).  

4 minutes ago, Kapila said:

Hi

I got my first X-Max and then realized it's hard to find a place to test/run it. It's harder to find a place where I can run the X max. What are the suggestions. I need to find a place a place in Buckinghamshire (Specially around High Wycombe).  

Im not from there, but i would start looking for skate parks, BMX parks, beaches, dig sites.. 

• Like 1