• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

12 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

I actually geared like this off the back of your recommendation I believe. And you’re right, through winter there were no issues.

have you removed your max 6 fan all together? I didn’t put an additional fan on, it was a replacement.

Its just got the normal ESC Fan  and the normal stock motor fan. I know what you mean about keeping the gearing, its so much better than stock isnt it? 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

Do you not run any fans? If so, is it not to control rather than mask? The reason I asked is because I do care and would like to learn - not to be laughed at. 

I’d like to keep the gearing I have. It’s a good balance of speed and acceleration. The motors not getting too hot, just the esc.

It was the original max6 fan that was replaced as I discovered it was missing a fin (could be reason for overheating), so assumed putting like for like in would only end the same way. After a quick search, I decided on a box of 5 high performance fans from Amazon for a 11 quid so spares - it’s the ‘Rc’ ones that are overpriced. 

Took it for a quick blast last outing (not fully tested/pushed) and it appears to have fixed the issue but I’m not certain so was just looking to see if anyone had ran similar gearing without problems.

Basically I was about to pull the trigger on a max5, but didn’t know if I needed to. If it hasn’t cured it, I’ll look at getting a more capable esc, but I’ll try not to cry about it.

I do run a few fans but there not to mask but to aid, when I start finding a suitable gearing I don’t use any once I’m at the point that I’ve found the sweet spot I’ll add the fans. 

The trouble with gearing and what’s right and wrong is no one runs the same or runs the same terrain. I generally bash in the same sort of spots so the need to change is not needed unless the ambient temp gets warmer than when I set it up to begin with 

You need to find what suits you the terrain you run in and your style of bashing.

Far to many folks just follow other folks recommendations to find it’s too high so mask the issue with fans which then leads to other issues. 

Personally I find a max 6 is on its limits in the X Maxx yes it will do the job but your running it at full beans which of coarse will add to high temps. 

There’s loads of good vids on YouTube that will explain amp draw  wattage drain and so on far better than I can which are worth a watch if you want to understand how motors, esc and lipos etc work and what can cause issues 

Sorry if I came over a bit like a bear with a soar head that was not my intention 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Its just got the normal ESC Fan  and the normal stock motor fan. I know what you mean about keeping the gearing, its so much better than stock isnt it? 😃

Yep, stock is okay, but you can’t pull flips easily, and you’re definitely left wanting more top end speed. Once you’ve had a taste of it, going back the other way would be a last resort!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

I do run a few fans but there not to mask but to aid, when I start finding a suitable gearing I don’t use any once I’m at the point that I’ve found the sweet spot I’ll add the fans. 

The trouble with gearing and what’s right and wrong is no one runs the same or runs the same terrain. I generally bash in the same sort of spots so the need to change is not needed unless the ambient temp gets warmer than when I set it up to begin with 

You need to find what suits you the terrain you run in and your style of bashing.

Far to many folks just follow other folks recommendations to find it’s too high so mask the issue with fans which then leads to other issues. 

Personally I find a max 6 is on its limits in the X Maxx yes it will do the job but your running it at full beans which of coarse will add to high temps. 

There’s loads of good vids on YouTube that will explain amp draw  wattage drain and so on far better than I can which are worth a watch if you want to understand how motors, esc and lipos etc work and what can cause issues 

Sorry if I came over a bit like a bear with a soar head that was not my intention 

Thank you - makes a lot more sense. Im also sorry for reacting the way I did.

I think based on this and what I’ve read here and elsewhere, I’m gonna throw the max6 in the Mojave and try a max5 in the Xmaxx. If I have any issues still, I’ll gear down.

Id try a 21 or even a 20t pinion first for the sake of a tenner, you may still get the performance and it could cure your temp issues.  Ive ran a Max 6 in 5 different X Maxxs and never saw the need for a Max 5 (plus theyre a pain to fit nicely). Maybe its just me running a single set of lipo’s through and calling it a day, as opposed to multiple sets back to back?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Id try a 21 or even a 20t pinion first for the sake of a tenner, you may still get the performance and it could cure your temp issues.  Ive ran a Max 6 in 5 different X Maxxs and never saw the need for a Max 5 (plus theyre a pain to fit nicely). Maybe its just me running a single set of lipo’s through and calling it a day, as opposed to multiple sets back to back?

Agreed the gearing down is the first port of call and the cheapest for sure 

Only running a set is probably why you get away with it, there is definitely an increase in performance with the max 5 over the 6 but fitting the 5 is a ball ache if you want it to look good can be done mind even with a non stock motor 

6-E4-FF50-C-421-B-4053-AC6-F-1-B6-C30952

• Like 1

I have a set of Louise wheels too, they’re awesome compared to stock! They have much better traction, so probably add stress. 

I don’t have the wide kit - wonder if that would add any notable additional load though?

Hopefully yours/mine is fine as is. Me opting for the max5 will just be a bigger pillow, but I get it’s not a guaranteed fix. I’ve always driven it the same way on similar terrain, so only difference has been damaged esc fan and warmer weather. 

For now, I’ll reduce the pinion and see what difference it makes.

Im pleased to see a max5 can be installed in normal location. I’m happy to do what’s necessary to achieve this as looking tidy is a big part for me.

Thanks both for the advice 👍🏻

18 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

I have a set of Louise wheels too, they’re awesome compared to stock! They have much better traction, so probably add stress. 

I don’t have the wide kit - wonder if that would add any notable additional load though?

Hopefully yours/mine is fine as is. Me opting for the max5 will just be a bigger pillow, but I get it’s not a guaranteed fix. I’ve always driven it the same way on similar terrain, so only difference has been damaged esc fan and warmer weather. 

Im pleased to see a max5 can be installed in normal location. I’m happy to do what’s necessary to achieve this as looking tidy is a big part for me.

The Wide Maxx is just bigger therefore marginally heavier I guess? Probably not enough to make a difference

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

On 18/04/2022 at 09:40, Ant.p said:

I have the same problem with overheating. Im running stock gearing. One of the first things you must upgrade in X Maxx is ESC. Ill be getting MAX6 next month. Cheers!

P.S. am i the only one who broke this?! 

20220415_121944.jpg

3 hours ago, Tadas said:

I have the same problem with overheating. Im running stock gearing. One of the first things you must upgrade in X Maxx is ESC. Ill be getting MAX6 next month. Cheers!

P.S. am i the only one who broke this?! 

20220415_121944.jpg

I dont even know where that part is haha

5 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I dont even know where that part is haha

😄 one end goes to center driveshaft and the other to center diff (so when it breaks you end up with RWD X Maxx). It is very strange that it broke - front wheels do not get such an abuse as rear ones.... And what is even stranger that you cant buy it alone - it is sold as a part of center driveshaft.... I haven't seen any "upgrades" for it so i guess they do not break that often... I hope it was just a defect... Prior to breaking it i changed diff oil (30k front/50k back/ 20mil center) - i hope that's unrelated..

This has likely been covered already, but please could I get some opinions on what diff oil to use on all three in the Xmaxx.

I’m thinking the middle diff needs to be made thicker as fronts are spinning up a bit. 20m is standard I believe, but just wondering if others have adjusted or stuck with stock setup. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Ant.p said:

This has likely been covered already, but please could I get some opinions on what diff oil to use on all three in the Xmaxx.

I’m thinking the middle diff needs to be made thicker as fronts are spinning up a bit. 20m is standard I believe, but just wondering if others have adjusted or stuck with stock setup. Thanks.

Ive never opened the diffs on any of my X Maxxs. I feel the diffs are set up perfectly?

3 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Ive never opened the diffs on any of my X Maxxs. I feel the diffs are set up perfectly?

Meh, fair enough. To be honest I saw a video on YouTube of a guy servicing and he claimed that it’s a known thing the diffs aren’t filled with oil so they should be topped up even if not adjusted.

Im happy with mine as it, but I noticed the new Louise wheels have started to show signs of coming off the rims. Only the fronts though. I assume this is a result of them spinning up a bit when losing traction, but it was only a hunch. Just as likely my driving is causing it. 

Had a blast today. New max 5 did the trick. No heat problems at all. I did have a bad landing (in the video below) though, which snapped one of the cable ties holding the esc in place. Esc moved and dislodged motor cables 🤦🏼‍♂️

Easy enough fix. Will use more ties and make sure it doesn’t budge again.

• Like 1

Ha, yeah I’m yet to break anything on it too?! They’re proper tough, I mean it’s taken some real abuse. Apart from the shell, the chassis cleans up like new. Amazing bits of kit

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

would recommend filling them up. Easy to test center diff - lift front of the car, hold tight - apply some gas and if its rather easy to hold and front wheels start to spin up - fill up/replace oil. I felt huge difference when i added more standard 20m oil in the center diff - there were some, but definitely not enough. Same goes to front/back - my diffs were rather dry. Im using 50k back, 30k front, 20m center.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

Had a blast today. New max 5 did the trick. No heat problems at all. I did have a bad landing (in the video below) though, which snapped one of the cable ties holding the esc in place. Esc moved and dislodged motor cables 🤦🏼‍♂️

Easy enough fix. Will use more ties and make sure it doesn’t budge again.

IMG_7823.MOV

can you upload it to youtube? Get an error when trying to launch it =/

17 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Was that bashing or crashing 😂😂.   

My centre has a mix of silicone ear plug and Traxxas 50 mil  front and rear are stock. 

I landed all the others. Honest 🤥

yikes, 50 mil! Okay, I’m gonna order something a little thicker to see if it helps

1 minute ago, Tadas said:

Had a few people say this on here. I’m not sure if it’s something I do wrong?

I’ve never uploaded to YouTube. I’ll take a look and let you know if I manage it…

11 minutes ago, Tadas said:

Here you go:

• Like 2