• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Just got this...

HSKzz

He's alright with things like that as I always pay him back lol. I probably have another almost new .28 engine lined up as well... More on that Monday haha. I've got work all next week hopefully so I should have some money to settle some things that I owe and spend a fair bit of money on things like, a new servo, radio gear might get the DX2E, diff oils, receiver pack etc. Just things to make my life easier and make it work more fluent haha 

If the old radio gear works I would try and get it running before you upgrade it. Nothing worse than upgrading something that works to then find you need a part and funds are short again. You choice but I speak from experience,  several times over. Lol.

Yeah I hear what you're saying but I should have enough to cover it. Plus it's the stick control layout and for the life of me I cannot use it as well as the wheel and trigger. I'll probably give it to my step dad as it's slightly better than the one he has at the moment. It's also the whole it takes 8AA batteries and I only have 8 good ones... 4 of which are in the car lol 

Haha I know they are supposed to be easy... I get confused with them... Which is weird considering that I have always played with console controllers for like 15 years which is similar and yet I can't do it in real life... xD Can't wait to start my other job week after next then I might save up for a Hyper SS Truggy :P

I was planning a bashing session on my day off, Monday, with the lads from work but Ive busted my thumb wide ooen so steering may be tricky. See how it goes, I need to get out and burn some nitro.

Ahh yeah we have one if them and I've slipped it on some wheel nuts before and with all my strength punched the floor and broke a knuckle :( Hope it gets better soon must suck lol

The bolts that go through the chassis into the engine mount. I think they're something like M4x8 although not too sure 

44 minutes ago, Burridge said:

Is it me or are snap on getting abit **** now? Hearing more and more bad things about their stuff :|

Yeah ive heaed loads of things about their ratchets being really crap. We've got loads of things from them that are a good 10 year plus old and still going strong. So it goes to show 

Snap on are total rubbish now, as are Mac. Only thing Snap on I recommend now are the double wall tool boxes. The standard ones just collapse after a few years and they dont want to know. Halfords pro stuff is good for the money and silver line is spot on for warranty.  As a HGV mechanic my tools take some serious punishment, always used snap on until a few years ago. They dont swop stuff without argument most of the time now and it breaks too often. Just been to A&E with the thumb after no sleep for 2 nights. Wife made me go, found I have shattered the bone above the top joint. Still hurts just know why now. Lol.

So I took delivery of that engine for £25... Well all I can say is I have asked the seller for a return address...

In the advert it says "turns over freely" well now when I tried to turn it over by hand I felt like I was about to snap something, it turned a little bit but I bet it was very close to seizing up last time it was ran. 

Mentioned nothing about the carb being rust welded together causing it to be seized. 

Nothing about a massive chunk out of the fuel tank etc. It goes on. 

Fair enough the seller did offer me a refund and said they didn't know much about nitros. Some times it's just common sense...

Rant over... Lol

You bought a used nitro engine for 25 quid and expected it to work lol. From my experience with nitro engine just but them new u less it's off someone who knows what their doing. There too finerky and if they haven't be looked after are just going to be a PITA

You bought a used nitro engine for 25 quid and expected it to work lol. From my experience with nitro engine just but them new u less it's off someone who knows what their doing. There too finerky and if they haven't be looked after are just going to be a PITA

Second hand nitro's are very hit and miss, I've had an ansmann virus .28 off eBay that I got for £80 and it goes and runs as sweet as a nut, can't fault it, but I also have a Schumacher Riot from eBay of which the piston disintegrated on my first tank of fuel through it. [emoji37]

10 hours ago, NG15 said:

I never said that I expected it to work in 100% perfect order. Its just the fact that the advert says "turns over freely" and it is as stiff as anything. Just a really bad advert and I didnt feel like I bought what I saw 

I agree if the engine advert says will need tuning stay away. That's usually code for couldn't get it tuned lol. 

New lrp engine is £100.

I would even try a hobbyking engine £40 and when I was looking reviews looked good on one of them .21 mayb.  I can't remember if it was hobbyking but a cheap brand brought old nova rossi engine rights. 

People running the expensive nova rossi was buying the no name con rods.  

Could have been another company tho. Go tech mayb.  

I would worry more about an engine that does turn over freely lol. As in no compression at all. 

Give it a good clean inside and out flush the needles too. Rince it out with fresh fuel once cleaned put together lube it up and it might work out. 

I did it with an engine I thought was junk which was really like new. That would seize up from top pinch too just like a new engine. 

I agree with Butcher, a nitro engine that spins freely is junk. Tight at TDC is good, as for the tank, you didnt buy it for that it was just extra. I would have spent a little time on it after contacting the seller. I got what looked to be a mint engine and it blew, roughest one I had ever seen is still going strong.

I know they're not supposed to spin like really easy. It's not even like it's a little bit tight at the top. You can move it about 1/4 turn before I physically can't turn it any more. You would have to see it to know why I am so ****** with it. 

I've received something that I wasn't aware of what I was buying. I shouldn't have to sit there for hours on end of my time trying to fix a problem that I wasn't aware I was buying. 

What if I had stripped it down and found out the piston/liner needed replacing for a new one? I would have thought they would be more than £25. Then I've spent £50+ on the engine by then I could have bought a brand new SH engine...

Sorry if that sounds a bit angry lol

Welcome to the world of used nitro and distance buying. You got a refund so alls good. You always take a risk with used but its tge same risk with new. There will be the odd bad engine, the battle to get those replaced is a tough one from experience. 

• 3 weeks later...

Right got a new engine coming tomorrow with any luck... As well as some 20% fuel and a new throttle linkage set! Should be able to go for a bash at the weekend... After the long task of breaking the engine in xD

This sound like a good procedure?

Start it up and let it idle for 10-15 mins, top up fuel tank. Then onto 1/4 throttle up and down passes, 2nd and 3rd thank doing 1/2 throttle up and down. Then 4th and 5th tanks just going from idle up to full throttle gradually?