• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First helicopter

Hi,

Having been an rc car addict for a few years I would like to try my hand at a helicopter. I have my eye on the Blade Micro Apache AH64. However I have no experience in flying a helicopter and have been advised not to buy this as a first helicopter but rather buy a training something or other.

I am aware that unlike rc cars which if they break I just buy a spare part, if the Apache crashed I would probably not be able to buy an inexpensive part for it so I do understand the thinking behind getting something simple first. However I do like the scale, realistic look of the Apache rather than the rather unrealistic looking 'helicopters' I often see advertised.

The Apache does come with different flight modes so am hoping that it may be okay for a novice on it's 'safest' setting.

Any comments from you heli guys would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

• 4 months later...

Seeing as I had no replies, I'll answer my question myself! I can say the Blade Apache is not suitable as a first helicopter. Don't get me wrong, I have had great fun learning to fly a cp helicopter after using a simulator and a WL Toys V911 fp mini heli. But it is fragile, especially the landing gear which I have to keep gluing back on. I have stripped a couple of gears too. I will keep practising. I love it's scale looks though and can recommend it to anybody who has already honed their skills! It has certainly got me into helis and makes a change from rc cars.

For outdoor fun the 230S may be a better choice.

As for the ah64 landing gear, which breaks in the highlighted point, I used pieces of plastic tube that prevent it from flexing.

IMG_20151022_073323_zpsppyb4niy.jpg

Edited by danb1974
  • Like 1

Seeing as I had no replies, I'll answer my question myself! I can say the Blade Apache is not suitable as a first helicopter. Don't get me wrong, I have had great fun learning to fly a cp helicopter after using a simulator and a WL Toys V911 fp mini heli. But it is fragile, especially the landing gear which I have to keep gluing back on. I have stripped a couple of gears too. I will keep practising. I love it's scale looks though and can recommend it to anybody who has already honed their skills! It has certainly got me into helis and makes a change from rc cars.

Hi Danb, that's a good idea to strengthen the landing gear. I've bought another fuselage set for when I no longer crash:boredlook:. I'll definitely do that mod before using it!

The 230s looks good. Maybe one for the future!

• 2 months later...

What about cutting the landing gear off, then adding some little shocks between fuselage and wheels.  

Have like a frame holding the wheels then somehow adding the shock to absorb the impact. Push rod type suspension or something. 

Or just a springy peice of alloy, leaf spring even. 

That sounds complicated. Not sure I have the modelling skills for that! However since posting I have got much better at landing gently. I still have to resort to glue occasionally though!           I still love the Apache,  however I have just bought a Blade 230s as recommended earlier in the thread. Compared to the Apache, it is easier to fly and easier to see being larger and not dressed in camouflage green! No wheels to break either?