• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New Laptop - Old OS.

Kpowell911

Hi, ill be honest, I know next to nothing about Computers. Im happy with my iPad, but I must admit its a bit limited. This year Ive purchased two brand new Laptops, for around the £350 mark. One for my dad who browses eBay and shops online, and one for my girlfriend, mainly for using Microsoft Word and Excel. Both are Windows 10, and both are pathetic. I cannot get on with it, its slow, most of the stuff I dont need, its complicated. I get frustrated using them both. I found and old E Machine Laptop in the loft, it only works with the power cord in (so its a desktop lol) and it has a few keys missing. Its from 2007 I think. I wiped everything, put a legit copy of Windows 7 I randomly had? And it honestly hasnt put a foot wrong. For what I use it for (forums!) its fine....

However, im looking at upgrading it. As I say its not in the best of shapes, i say looking cause Im not 100% yet, as the current rig "works". I have a £100 to spend at Argos (long story), so, what in Theory is stopping me buying this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4139290.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

And buying this and putting it on it from day one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ICNQXEO?keywords=windows%207&qid=1449875191&ref_=sr_1_3&s=software&sr=1-3

Thanks

Excellent, i just put the disc in straight away on the initial start up and there will be no traces of Windows 8/10? Isnt that a system builders disc? My new laptop will have 8 already on it?

Thanks

Edited by Guns

A couple of things before you do this though. Make sure you download the drivers for Windows 7 before you do it. So things like graphics, sound, wifi etc. Windows 7 has a good driver base but I did it to my dads and it didn't pick up the network but luckily I downloaded the drivers and put them onto a usb stick.

Also make sure you make the recovery usb stick for the laptop you are going to purchase because most retailers will only support it with its original operating system on it so if anything goes wrong with it you can put it back to its factory build before you take it in.

Im a bit confused by all that lol. But will that disc definately be ok, despite having windows 8/10 already on the system? Thing is, im probably going to go buy the laptop today.... But the OS wont be here for a few days. Ill probably end up using it till Windows 7 comes..... Will that be an issue?

Ok, So I went and bought the laptop, and Ive started it up...... Windows 10 is so much different on this one? Its fast and doesnt seem to be as intrusive as on my other 2 laptops? Have they updated Windows 10?? For now this is amazing, and Ill use the £30 I was going to spend on Windows 7 to buy Football Manager 2016 :)

• 3 months later...