• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Orlandoo 1/35 crawler

Hammy

Well it's here and built the axles up but sported a problem. My servo has a white plug that I've never seen before and the esc has the traditional plug. Haven't ordered radio kit yet as I was gonna use one of my hyper.. for now then order soon.

Can the plugs be swapped or do I need different servo? Also what radio gear is everyone using.  I was going to buy another flysky 3 channel kit like I'm using in my 1/8 stuff

The esc that came with the kit had a socket for the steering servo mini plug then a conventional plug coming off to plug into the receiver.

im sure there would be a harness for a micro servo plug to 'normal' out there or even cut and solder it maybe?

I've just orderd the kit, they've made it easier than I thought by linking the items on the ad. I hope those links are to the best items people are using tho. Also banggood take paypal I didn't know that which was the main thing stopping me buy from them. But it's just like ebay. I'll be haunting the site now. 

There's a converter plug linked too I nearly got it but a review said it's not needed for the esc with leds? 

Is there two escs for the 1/35 if so I hope it's the updated one I got. The lead tones down voltage or something. 

The linked lipo sounds like an update with afew reviews saying it's smaller than the Orlando lipo. I'm lost there too but again hope I got the best one lol. 

Even so with it being such a cheap lipo I'm already nervous but I'm the same with any lipo tbh. Is there any turnigy lipos for this truck?

Radio, I have a flysky gt2b or spectrum so will use either if I can or one if limited by rx space? 

I was tempted to buy the ftx ibex but since I've wanted this for so long. Mayb get the ibex one day too tho.  If anyone installs hobby elecs.  It would make a beautiful grave digger build if there's a model kit of it the right size. 

Ok straight away I think I've got the wrong esc it's right but the link on the ad that says 404 error something esc brake. Is the one rccrawler forum recommends. What's the difference? 

Is that the one with leds on the board or is the one I got the led board but not the best option?  

Brake switch mini esc vs mini 2s esc which I have. 

Edited by RCbutcher

I bought the truck kit and electrics from hobbyking 

link to esc

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__81321__2_in_1_2S_Lipo_ESC_w_LED_Light_Set_OH35P01_1_35_Rock_Crawler_Kit_UK_Warehouse_.html

please don't do like I did and use other LEDs and power from the lipo, it'll fry the esc when you run the truck :o

im running turnigy nano tech 180mah 2s lipos, I'm sure others will advise you can go slightly bigger

good luck with the build and do it on a tray as if you drop a screw it ends up in another world :D

That's the esc i orderd but from banggood.

I've just seen the kit for £35 from asiatees lol not sure if I'm gutted tho cos who knows what ther shipping is and whether they'll mark up the price by mistake like another member had.

So would it be safer to put leds on a different circuit? I've used 3x button battery's to power micro led kits before like xmods.

Is there any word of true escs and motors being installed? Or a gearbox in work for the chassis. Surley someone could remould the floor pan with gearbox mount. 

I thought i would find more builds on them by now but I think yours is the most advanced one yet trying losi parts on it. 

I have been typing orlando tho lol. Not orlandoo so there might be some yet.  

I made another mistake too, searched ebay for model kits but 1/24 some nice ones in that scale but remeber almost too late it's 1/35. 

I brought a space f150 body anyway incase I mess up the paint. 

Has anyone thought about a ladder chassis conversion with losi gearbox or would it end up being more losi. Plus again I forgot 1/24 vs 1/35 lol. 

There's a youtube video called 1/24 D90 chassis instalation. That looks epic the comments hint at the builder being the creator of the orlandoo aswel.

So mayb he has plans to release the ladder chassis. It uses the same motor as the hunter tho. Mayb he built that one off and made the hunter as a mass kit to build funds to then bring out something like his d90 which really does look beautiful.  

Well...I started the build on my one.

It's actually pretty easy to put together. I spent a fair bit of time cleaning up any casting flash on the plastics and tidying up where they were cut from the sprues. Both transmissions went together sweetly and move silky smooth.

Noticed there are a couple of modifications to the model since it's original release.

The steering has a double ball part in place of having a ball joint above and below the steering arm....and also all the ball joints have now got a hex head rather than a flat slot. Should mean the linkages sit better on them as they are properly round.

I found it easier to drill the 4 holes for the inner linkages after I built up the axles as those parts are just so small....but to be honest....it's been a pleasure to build so far even if it is so tiny!

Definitely good advice to keep EVERYTHING you do not need in the packets and only open them when you actually want the part. The screws are tiny. I also put a piece of thin foam in the bottom of the box to stop bouncing and am using it as a build tray.

Included screwdriver was cheese....but it made a good tool to press in bearings, and I had a selection of much better tiny screwdrivers to use. Trim it down to press in the bearings in the rear axle ends as it doesn't fit :)

Next job is to build the linkages and start on the chassis.

Sounds like thry've made some usefull little improvements. Thought having the slot on the ball joints was a poor idea. Now if only they'd change the philips screws to Losi type hex bolts. Much more convienient as the bolts stay in place on the hex driver which makes it easier to get them started in the holes.

John

Steering all linked up now, chassis drilled for ball joints. Those are a bit awkward...as the 2 rear inboard ones are a pain to get parallel.

Assembled the wheels/tyres ... and next job is to do the shocks and driveshafts.

Has anyone fitted oil shocks to this, or better friction ones?

Will have to have a look at a set of those :)

Noticed RC Mart are carrying spares and hop ups .... which is interesting. wheel weights, different tyres, ally driveshafts and a soundbox. Might order a few shiny bits.

Especially the driveshafts and some tyres. They also have 200rpm and 300rpm motors and metal gears for the gearbox.

When I bought the kit I was disappointed with the lack of upgrades and it seemed like no one else would buy one but nice to see some builds are taking place and finally replacement bits appearing.

Amazon is a good source of the right size micro geared motors in various rpms. Output shafts wil need shortening a few mm though to fit.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

RC Mart are selling Orlandoo branded motors at 200 and 300rpm output...so they are a drop in fit.

http://www.rcmart.com/hopup-parts-orlandoo-c-595_1801.html

I reckon now that there are a few more outlets for the kits more people are able to get them...and that helps. I have found the kit dead easy to put together so far, and really quite enjoyable.

What I reckon they need to do now is release an alternate body....and maybe a monster truck using the same axles widened a touch and thicker links. That would be cool!

Banggood was putting me off, until I found out they take paypal.  

My esc arrived today from the eu warehouse. I wonder if that's a shared warehouse with hobbyking?

I orderd a spare body incase anyone makes a front cab rear cage build. Then I'll have a body painted nice and a spare to mod.

I thought long and hard about what body I would like if I could fit any. Toyota hilux 80s probably. But I do really like the raptor body anyway.  

Big wheels would be lovely, I couldn't believe how big the trail trekka looks next to the hunter. It might struggle to climb lego lol.

Mayb it's a table top rc.

I think the Americans love the redcat sumo too much to bother with the hunter.  

I'm not keen on drilling it myself, is there indents or anything to help line the holes up perfectly. 

Edited by RCbutcher

There is indents too drill all holes and a drill bit pluss drill bit driver also supplied. I drilled most holes with the driver but then thoguht too use my little dremil but be warned to use dremil on low speed and clean drill bit after each hole. One hole caught up with swarf and made the hole too big :( drop of glue worked though lol. Supplied Allen key worked the treat 

I used the nut runner as a bearing press. Fitted perfectly (iit's surprising how hard you have to press the bearings too fit them ) 

I'm thinking of maybe making a truck man top on back of it too give bit more battery space . Or even a roll over hoop on back 

That's good to know I think I'll stick with the hand drill sounds like a good little tool for small jobs. 

I think the cabin top sounds good too conceal a pretty big lipo in then I bet.

The main thing I will probably want is bigger tires and jacked up alittle if possible. Hopfully letting the front wheels bite sharper inclines. 

I hope mine turns up before the new year holidays. There's a slight glimmer of hope it could. 

If you watch the short test vid posted there are the usual selection of related vids after it. iirc, the bottom left one is of the Hunter running outdoors. Quite impressive. 

Do you think it can climb lego? 

I saw a guy using one in a sand box great idea but he made the hunter look like it was struggling tbh lol. Either way jacked up with big tires always.