• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is this a good club car? ... or not

EvilSalty

Hi all, 

I've been eying up a schumacher cougar sv2 pro. Is this a good 1/10 2wd buggy or not? Its only 140 quid vs a b5m for about 215...

Both mid motor. But is it good enough to be competitive or not?

Before anyone suggests 2nd hand I want to build it myself so that I know it inside out for the inevitable repairs.

Cheers for any advice

It'll definitely be competitive, so long as that design suits the track you're running on. I don't think you'd be left wanting.

Also, it depends, have you raced before? Most of the time, the driver holds the car back, not vice versa, and a good setup is king over the latest and greatest chassis. :good:

For that price, I'd say it's all good, although Si Coe is your man to speak to, when it comes to competition buggies.

Edited by Praet0r87
  • Like 1

The SV2 is a decent enough club car, but it is a little fiddly to set up so unless someone else at the club runs one (or used to) and can help its going to be a steep learning curve. A badly setup car makes racing no fun at all. On the plus sides the SV2 is pretty study and Schumacher have good spares support even for models long out of production.

If you are new to this you won't be any quicker with something different - you will be a bigger factor than the car. Even after doing this for years I'm still not really much better with my modern buggys than my vintage ones! But that all depends on you being able to drive the car at all. Setup is everything.

• Like 1

The normal trick is to look for the hot new model that everyone wants, then get its predecessor which will be being sold off cheaply.

Otherwise the Losi 22 2.0 is going for £190 right now. Its tough, well known and those that still use them seem to do well with them. Ditto the Team C TC02 Evo - both been eclipsed by other models but still work well. And the VBC Firebolt is a similar price to the SV2 but I can't vouch for quality or spares support as I've only ever seen 1.

• Like 2

With 2WD racing buggies, there are three basic types of car..

1/  A traditional rear motor buggy designed for use on dirt/clay - the oldest style and all makes have had them but not much use on modern high grip surfaces such as carpet or astro turf. Examples are Associated B5, Losi 22 (can be converted to Mid) and a few others out there. Hardly anyone runs a rear motor in the UK and even in the US they are giving way to mid motors.

2/   Mid motor. Despite the name the motors are not in the middle but just in front of the rear axle and offer better front end grip than rear motors but still good traction on lower grip. Examples are Losi 22, Associated B5M, Team C TC2C, Kyosho RB6, XFactory X6 cubed

3/   Front motor or "cheater" cars. These started as modified 4WD buggies with the front transmission disconnected to give maximum front end grip and balance for the highest corner speed and agility but are not as good on low grip although this is being engineered out so they can run on lower grip OK. The Schumacher KF series is a purpose-built front motor now in two versions and have been joined by Team C TM2 and XFactory X6-S. The Yokomo YZ2 sort of fits in this category as well.

The SV2 is the last mid motor built by Schumacher and is a top racing buggy but from the last generation. You will be fine while you relearn your skills but when you get better and want to maximise your results a front motor is probably the way to go but it can be very track dependent. My track is a carpet and the B5M competes pretty well but it is nearly always won my a front motor.

One last point is that the B5M can be converted to what they call a "lay down motor" which moves the motor forward a little as a part way to a forward motor. The Yokomo does this out of the box and is a great car on carpet.

I would say get the B5M, it is a great learner car and can go quick with some mods after all it did just win the world championships. Parts are cheap and plentiful from most racing shops

• Like 1

The thing I've seen is that the further forward the motor is the better it is at winning the A Final, but the harder it is for less skilled drivers to control on anything but the grippest tracks with fresh tyres.

I've got a DEX210V2 ('mid' motor) and a Cobra 4210 (Forward motor based on the 210 and 410). Over a single lap the Cobra is undoubtedly quicker, but over a race its practically the same because its easier to make mistakes with the forward motor. The Cobra also needs very fresh tyres and burns through them far faster. The Cobra is the better racer but the 210 the better club car.

The car of choice for racers at my club introducing their children to racing is the rear motor B4. Its tough, well understood, simple to set up and very easy to drive which makes it ideal. Ultimately if they keep racing they move on to more modern stuff but the B4 has been proven to be a better starting point. I'm setting up my spare 210 for my eldest to start racing but its going to be in rear motor layout for the same reasons.

• Like 2

Losi 22 3.0 just been released , apart from the front , the rest of the buggy is new , looks real tight

£250 is good too !

Which means you should get a decent 2.0 setup for less money as people change to the new gear ;)

• Like 2

Have decided on a Losi 22 2.0 thanks to everyones help. 

Just waiting for the next local meeting to see what people are racing before buying. As Si said its 190 quid. Interesting point about 2nd hand now that the next model is out but wanted to build it myself really. 

• Like 1