• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

slow batteries

Skitz47

Hi I have 2x ni-hm 3300 batteries that don't seem to produce as much speed in my car than my 2300,s. I've slow and fast charged them and on different chargers. When I select 3.30 charging rate and push start my charger reads 2.500 or 2.800 instead of 3.300!. They last quite well but nowhere near as fast as my 2300,s. Can anyone help please are they no good.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

The 2300 or 3300 is in mah or milli amp hours and refers to the capacity of the batteries ie how long they will last. The speed is down to the voltage and the discharge profile. Lipo's have a C rating but Nimh batteries do not quote this but it will change a little from make to make. Back in the pre lipo days, folks used to spend a fortune of specific makes of Nimh cells and build custom packs for the best performance.

I assume you have the same number of cells (6 is normal but it depends on the car) in each pack as that will determine the voltage. If the make and number of cells is the same then it could be if the packs are new. Most racers would cycle Nimh packs maybe 3 times before trying to use them this would get better performance from them. Also fast charging used to get more performance out of them but you will impact the life of them. I have not used Nihms seriously as Lipos were out when I started but I am sure there are plenty on here who can help.

If you can upgrade to lipo's you will see a lot of benefits not least much more speed ;-)