• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Are hpi pull starts really that much better?

Stealth

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not really having problems with them, I just like to have spares when I'm out. Nowt worse than getting out and breaking something simple to swap.

I currently have one of the cheap ones on and it's doing good. It's the same as the China ones I ordered except it was from a UK seller at twice the price. Might get some of the tough chord on it and leave it at that. My main worry is the chord getting tired and snapping.

I also never had a problem with the roto start, other than it doing my head in carrying about. Somehow, the engine knows when I put it back in my bag and decides to cut out :)

That's some good info about the engines. Do hpi actually design any of their own stuff? Who are the main designers?

The savage has the F4.6 v1 engine on at the moment and it's a very good engine, never misses a beat when warmed up. When this engine packs in I'm planning on getting a LRP .28 for abit of a change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 5.9 in my savage and i've snapped a few pullstarts, went as far as stripping it and redoing with some spare string in the field because I refused to go home after 5 mins haha

I've got some supposedly unbreakable string off fleabay and so far so good...

I have the 5.9 in my savage and i've snapped a few pullstarts, went as far as stripping it and redoing with some spare string in the field because I refused to go home after 5 mins haha

I've got some supposedly unbreakable string off fleabay and so far so good...

That's the sprit! :)

How much abuse has the "unbreakable" string been through? Is it the American one?

I'm not sure which one it is as my friend gave it to me to try after quite a few previously snapping. I'll ask him tommorow and post a link up if I can.

it's been in there for a couple of months now and seems good so far

He can't find the exact one he got I'm afraid, but when he first showed me it I said it looked like kevlar, had a look on fleabay myself and found one similar that says it's kevlar too

Cool, thanks! I've just ordered one that says they will replace it if it breaks, gotta be good.... I hope. Not looking forward to the spring explosion when I dismantle it :)

Edited by Stealth