• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mardave 1/12 MK1 Stockcar

A Return

Following the recent thread on here of the Mardave Mini, I felt inspired to go back to my RC roots and get an old Mardave. A discovery in the loft confermed for me what I was going to get, I found a couple of packs of old toptrumps cards, one of which was 'stockcars', an example of which was this:-

P1040374_zpsqf0zy77x.jpg

So I looked on ebay, stumbled across a Mardave stockcar, bid, and won. Easy as that. It arrived today and im chuffed to bits. From what I can work out from the net its a very rare Mk1, details on the chassis being the difference. The chassis is quite knackered but it comes with a Mk2 chassis that fits and will be modded to look like a mk1. Sort of.

332f7fa6-7710-49c3-89af-aaeac9447d51_zps

Is that not the most naffest, yet coolest thing you ever saw? No wait, that'll be the speed controller.

P1040369_zpskwirbbew.jpg

It came with some other bits which will hopfully aid the restoration. That said, patina is king and it almost seems a shame to rip it apart and rebuild it.

7a9ced7e-ab6b-4567-8dcd-ce89868951d2_zps 

The body thats on the car will be repaired and repainted, just looks more vintage. It also came with something else, and part of me is just as happy with it as i am with the car.

71ed50e5-30bb-47a0-86a8-7bf18ea84609_zps Just a pin badge, but hell yeah,

There is also an old-as-the-ark  battery charger that came with it, but there is no way on gods green earth that ill be plugging THAT into any of my plu sockets. Also came with the original box, which is nice. Very nice infact.

P1040375_zpsa7ookgi4.jpg

Its going to be a winter project, no plans to rip into into it yet, ill just look at it for a while.

• Like 1

I started a new job last week, at my interview I was struck by two things in the reception, a scale model of the whole plant (we make Coal) in a table sized glass case, the other was photos on the wall of a stock car like this sponsored by my company. Clearly my first thought was "That would look good as a Mardave". So that is going to be a future project of mine. The photo probably dates to a similar time as this rc.

Got a chance to take it apart yesterday. Turns out I was wrong about the chassis, the original is a mk1, but a butchered one, the new chassis is a mk1, unbutcherd, but i had to butcher it slightly to get the mini rear pod in. I could have put an original back end on it, but getting the bits would probably be impossable and the mini set up is better. In the bag of bits that came  with it i found 2 white mini wheels, and 2 red ones. Same diameter and fitment, but slightly wider. Need new tyres so ill make some at work. Also fitted a bonnet scoop that came on one of the spare shells. It fits well, but im not sure i like it. Painted it all red, badly, so im going to do it again.

P1040392_zpsbuznnc2o.jpgP1040389_zps8zcy1cal.jpg