• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dead mta4 s28!

fuddy-mucker

Hi all....

Well its been sometimes since i paid a visit to the forum.

In may 2013 i bought a brand new tt mta4 s28 from js models at a good rate and despite having a few teething issues... well... constant battles i did finalky get the truck running well. However, on the ladt outting ( septber 2013) i took the truck out and despite the weather being really warm i ventured on to the grass with the truck and unknowingly to me at the time further down the field the truck had become wet due to damp grass. The spray had got past the backingplate and made its way into the engine. ( the grass was also quite long).

The engine cut out and took a good 15-20 minutes before it would fire back up. Pullstart and rotostart used. Then once running again i chose to let it idle for a few mins to dry out and then gave it a few passes on tarmac and suddenly the gearbox appeared to die. So... that was the end of it.

It was brought home, put on top of the unit and left until my next day available to muck around with it.

3-4 days later despite using aro after every use, the engine had locked solid!! Bearing in mind the truck was only 5 months old. I stripped the engine to find the internals were seized solid with rust. I managed to free it all off but the crankshaft bearing is nothcy and the sleeve is marked and scored. Engines is only fot for the bin i think as the owb was also seized and now theres a few bits missing too from storage.

I rebuilt the gearbox but found it a tad complicated due to having a reverse gear but... i believe i got there in the end but havent tried it out. For the past two years it has sat in my parents loft space.

Im now in two mind as to what to do, it has got:

Copper spring upgrade all round x8.

Dual tank mod running in series and works

Byron big air filter

Rebuilt gearbox ( believe it should work)

A few other bits iirc.

But with a dead engine, unknown if the gearbox.will work properly or not

Various screws and other bits missing i.e... clutch springs, carb clamp, all the slipper clutch parts but to name a few.

Do i give up and bin it ( a waste!) Or... could one or a few of you guys help?.

Ideally i would like to buy a brand new engine, seal.and start again lol.

But buy a 2nd hand truck to use as spares to keep costs low ideally. As ive also just moved out but.. this hobby is addictive lol!.

So... what would you do?

Also do you have an mta4 s28 you would be willing to sell for spares?

Im in the u.k, in west yorkshire.

Id much sooner repair the truck without it crippling me.financially as.. truth be told, i bought truck from inheritence i got my from grandfather. I bought it with the money because my grandad used to fly model aircrafts and occasionally used to have a go with one of my rc cars and i biught the truck really... to be reminded of the times we had and the time we spent tinkering and fixing together. Learning new things. Such as.. how to strip the hobbypro mutilator 6 carb without loosing the carb settings despite removing the jets.and how to re-use gaskets without the use of sealant etc etc..

I dont want this to sound like a sob story however this truck does mean something to me but i also now have responsibilties financially and in the back of my mind.. know that if the truck is in bits and never runs again.. it wont matter because i still have it but...would be nkce to see it running again. Sorry if anyone finds this hard to read im using my phone due to no broadband at the minute having just moved out :).

Thanks in advance and sorry for the ramble lol

Rob

Edited by fuddy-mucker

Evssv, is the s28 and the mgt 4.6 the exact same?. Just looking on american ebay and wow!! Loads of spares and parts lol wish id thought about it sooner.

Whats the difference between the two? I know they are the same but.... anything to be weary of?

Thanks fella

Rob

I thk pretty much there the same ..I got the s50 8.2cc....I'm sure sum one will verify it....and don't b afraid of buyin from the us....I do it all the time...dollar hobbyz is a good place..they do the associated met which is the same as the mta range....or st Louis rc's. ...or Jennys rc ...all can b found selling on eBay worldwide search

Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

Nicelys! What a way forward. The prices here in the u.k are pretty expensive i find. Even with shipping its cheaper to come from the u.s! Thanks for info and i'll be sure to check them out fella!.

Just a quick question, having seen the prices and availability of parts etc... im seriously considering a full strip down, replace every nut, screw etc for stainless as they sell them as a complete kit for the mta. And also... rebuild it back upto being an mgt8.0. Engine, box, cvds, hex's and wheels and a few little upgrades a reckon. Can anyone make a list of thibgs i'll need to convert my mta4 s28 (mgt 4.6) into an s50 (mgt 8.0). Just make sure.

Thanks in advance!!

Rob

I might have a spare 28 engine somewhere as I bought the 50 engine and gearbox for my MTA S28. May also still have the spare 28 gearbox. Not sure what other spares I may have.  Might have some arms somewhere, but to be honest, I've never broken any and I have given my truck some stick over the years.

If your looking for a cheap new engine though, the Trackstar 28's on Hobbyking (provided the sale price is still on - something like 35-40 bucks when I looked last) may be worth a punt.  I bought the Trackstar 21 for my 8t and am quite impressed with it so far. 

I just had quite a few problems in fairness... evwn when just running on flat grass and not even running hard. Would you be willing to sell the 28 spares you have?. That engine looks good really especially for the money too!.

You say you upgrades your s28 upto an s50, what did you need to change?. At the minute im in two minds wether to stick to s28 parts (cheaper for me and would be easier). Or... upgrade everything to s50 spec, little more expensive but doubt the truck will break as easily/often.

Thanks

Rob

Only reason I upgraded to the S50 engine and gearbox was the price.  Had the chance to get them both for silly money.  The S50 pulls hard to give you wheels up action and the metal internals of the S50 box are going to last a lot longer than the s28 plastics.  That said, the s28 standard is still a hell of a lot of fun.

What spares are you after then, as I think I have a set arms for all four corners, but bear in mind that I have had these sitting around for about 2 years as the truck is tough as nails.