• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Noob - imminent purchase ... Advice needed pls

Dondicalaya

Hello all,

Having recently decided to take up the hoobie of rc cars, I have whittled down to the partial car and equipment I would like to buy.

Being a Sunday, I decided it is best to wait and seek some advice before clicking the buy it now.

So my requirements are this:

Something fast, durable for off road/on road use (80/20)

Long run time

Little Maintence

I have Decided to purchase the following:

Car: 1/10 FS Marauder desert buggy brushless electric car

Battery : lipo 11.1v 6500mAh 75c 3s battery

Charger : skyrc 7a 55w or turnigy 300w

Not sure on the charger yet. Since I am new this hobby it is kind of confusing.

Any advice or help would be gravely appreciated.

My questions are: how long with the battery take to charge? With the he above setup?

Link to car : http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/rc-cars/electric-cars/1-10-scale/1-10-marauder-rc-desert-buggy-pro-brushless-version-rtr.html

Really don't like buying everything from one shop, but due to lack of experience have pretty much selected from them, but don't mind shopping else where if there are savings to be made.

Ty

I've got the Turnigy X200 charger and rate it highly. Can peak a 3s in about 90mins or less. I use Turnigy LiPo packs and am very happy with them. As for your choice of car, I've not heard great things about Nitrotek, have you looked at other stockists? I'm very surprised that the word Firestorm hasn't been mentioned in this thread as that's the current "go to" response to "What car do I get?". 

• Like 1

Talking of Firestorms: 

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/211247-hpi-firestorm-with-lipo-and-balance-charger/?hl=firestorm

80 quid under budget which gives you room for getting spares/upgrades. Possibly even a brushless combo.

Edited by chewbacca
  • Like 2

Hi. + 1 on the turnigy lipos from hobbyking. I've got quite a few, they've never let me down :) . The nanotechs can be a bit iffy :( .Get the highest mah that'll fit in your battery tray. More mah = longer run time. I've got a couple of trucks from the basher range ( also hobbyking) They're tough enough,the only problem is that they don't stock spares anywhere except the international warehouse for some reason . It can take a couple of months for parts to get to you :( . Do some research . It'll save you lots of money & frustration :)

• Like 1

Don't mind where I get the lipos from, but thought getting it as a package deal it was guaranteed to fit the marauder.

Had a look at the firestorm... Wow... More to think about. :)

But still swaying towards the 4wd led light desert buggy.

Main factors I need is fast charging time and long battery running time.

Any really good recommendations on chargers. Ideally want UK power supply with it.

And thank you for the feedback thus far. Much appreciated

I really wouldn't buy from Nitrotek. The company is shocking to deal with and most of their range is very poorly built. They are based near where I race and I know somebody looked into a job there fixing returns. Not good.

If you really want a desert style truck can I suggest this - it takes a smaller sized motor than the Marauder but its a lot lighter too. Its

Edited by Si Coe
  • Like 2

OK, so nitrotek is a definite no no. Thank you.

Firestorm looks OK, but really wanted a 4wd as we have fields behind the house out here in the sticks lol.

Waterproof and brushless is a must for me.

So am I correct in assuming the higher mAh battery and higher watt charger = longer run time and faster charge?

That buggy Si Coe posted looks awesome :)

Saw a video on YouTube of it jumping of roofs and it looks pretty indestructible. Just want something a little bigger with higher ground clearance. But I'm loving the toughness of it, so need that on the check list.

Can I just take a moment to say thank you for all the help thus far. I would have bought that marauder from Nitrotek had I known no better, and thank you again for a few extra hours of research on other models. Lol

The firestorm must be good as everyone recommends them but I've seem many if the first time buyers soon get bored and want something more.

This time of year I think 4x4 is the best way.

Traxxas rally , stampede 4x4 ect are in Germany for