• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless SSK V2

ollietheox

Just been given a SkyRc for pennies.  Its a 3930kv 10T motor with a 60a ESC.  What sort of issues am I looking at as this will be my first proper brush with........uhh...........brushless. 

Firstly, anyone know what the limit is on this with regards to Lipos?   2s, 3s?????

Secondly, what pinion should I be using?  Been told it should be around the 19t mark? 

Thirdly, can I get a 2 speed pinion or will I need to get the single speed spur? 

Let me know guys and gals, any info is greatly appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just been looking into ratios of gearing etc etc.  If the SSK has a 52t spur and I use a 19t pinion, this gives me a ratio of about 2.7.   What does this mean?   Also been looking into pitch.  48 seems to be the popular choice.  Anyone care to shed some light?

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick update if anyone is interested.  Stripped out the radio tray, throttle servo and engine.  Replace the 2 speed centre diff with a single speed.  Need to strip the shock springs as the make shift socks (balloons) have degraded and stuck to the springs.  Added some rear drive shaft guards just because. 

Just waiting on the combo to arrive so that I can figure out where everything is going to be situated.

Edited by ollietheox

Just a quick update.  Found a motor mount which may need a little trimming first.  Apart from that, most of the gear is ready to install.  Just not sure on the layout yet, this is the best I could come up with atm.   Anyone care to say otherwise?

Will the LiPo fit under the centre brace in a transverse ( crosswise ) fashion? If it will, then you can have hte motor where the ESc is, the batery behind the centre diff and the ESC in whatever space you have left. This will give you better balance, as the LiPo is quite a way out to clear the spur gear as you have it.

I also noticed your motor is a bit wonky .... will it fit under the centre brace OK? Needs to be parallel to the spur gear.

Motor is wonky as its not been installed yet, have to drill holes and manage it once the pinion turns up.   The lipo wont go across the chassis as the rear drive shaft would be in the way. 

• 3 months later...

Finally got this running.  Not sure what I've used pinion and spur wise, just ended up bodging it and throwing whatever I had on to it.  Got some cogging issues, but I assume that's because the 3930kv motor is struggling a bit with the truck wheels?