• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fpv video

Bigyeti007

first off cheap is range dependant. 

heres how you make up a cheap but ugly system.

one VTX and one reciever in 5ghz or 2.4ghz with antennas.

a camera to plug into the drones VTX 

thats the drone taken care of, VTX and cam 

Now the handset, most will buy an expensive lilliput monitor , 7 inch LCD 1280x800 costs around 150 quid with its little plastic case.

but if your clever you will just go and buy a cheap 7 inch raspberry PI lcd and controller ( cost around

if you have never flown just bash the hubsan till it flys no more. 

we all started with baby quads ( well most , but some of us are ex heli pilots so have the skillset already )

after a while you see the holes in the hubsan, its size and lack of power and you want a camera and maybe some fpv flights.

thats when you can start to look at self built quads ( buy all the parts and put it together yourself ) 

or the off the shelf large models (all based around a dji phantom ).

1x camera , usually a very small cctv camera is used ( we use gopros and likes for the eyecandy joyride videos)

but seat of the pants pilot view thats just a cctv camera costing about 20 quid.

the video transmiter and receiver thats about 40-60 quid. 

cheap reversing monitor for a car (14 quid ) 

a few batterys. 

that above is it that stuff is what nearly everyone will end up with when they get deep into fpv.

most swap the screen out to a headset , but lots of folks still run an lcd based system and goggles at the same time. 

will not take long to get your head round things, the hubsan will give you that first taster, for inspiration have a youtube search on team black sheep and

enjoy what fpv can offer when you turn to the darkside like we all did 

Well a toy is what I would like! I would be quite happy spending less than a hundred pound! It suited me flying round the local park with fpv even it is only with a couple of hundred meters range, I have no intention of spending hundreds on my new toy! I'll put that into my 1/5's!

i think people get mixed up with the term FPV and AP 

fpv is the pilots view you see what the camera sees as a pilots point of view there is no gizmos controlling the camera

so every swing -sway - knock-bump-vibration is seen, the camera is bolted to the airframe.

AP is the fancy side, instead of using the camera as a pilots view, its mounted on moving gimbals to keep it level and isolated from vibration.

the pilot is now free to line of sight fly and keep the movements very smooth, ie switch to a photographic flight mode, he parks the drone and swings round

letting the camera and its gimbal keep everything nice and smooth. the eyecandy views as we say in gamer terms.

this is what most think fpv is 

but reality is this is real fpv , a very ugly look to the above setup scene.

now 1/5th yeah  that can be wired up to but this below is a 1/10th blitz on fpv gear inc goggles

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

your welcome. 

the first video is a well planned out flight, using very small adjustments to the drone.

i wouldnt bet that the pilot was eyeball flying with a camera monkey checking for the feed look.

ANYONE can get the Number 1 video look, your gopro on a brushless gimbal and a lcd live view feed. 

what your not seeing is the 4-6hrs of post production work on the video.

adjusting light /contrast /hue / gamma / saturation. then the seamless cut and shut of the movie itself.

thats aerial video/photography , 20 mins flying 10 hrs trying to make it look the most awesome on a computer.