• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ansmann Mad Rat Throttle Problems

cmaybe1

Hi,

New to the forum, any help is appreciated!

I have an ansmann mad-rat that has throttle problems and im thinking about selling. Forward works fine, reverse works when you apply pressure fine until you reach 'full' reverse, as in trying to reverse full throttle as fast as possible. It cuts out the moment you reach full, when the trigger is in full travel but is fine up until then. Sorry my explanation is crap! I  have looked online already but it is a specific problem and couldn't find any info. If it is a simple fix, I apologize for using your time-I fiddled with the trim but to no avail.

Any replies appreciated

Thanks

Charlie

What brand of ESC, TX and RX are you using and what type and spec of battery?

Have you got the ESC or RX wet and have you made any changes to the set up, requiring a recalibration of the TX and ESC?

Have you tried simply recalibrating the TX and ESC, with throttle trims at neutral?

I was in the process of writing how I had reset it and it was fixed, before i realised that I had reset it before  and this was what had created the problem. My update is now that I have to use the trim to adjust the throttle to the point where the car is stationary with my finger off the throttle. This however is what causes the problem. When the car is stationary and the motor not engaged, or making precursory noises, the reverse no longer works at full travel, on my controller.

My two modes are car stationary and throttle properly calibrated, but I can't use full travel reverse,

Or I adjust the trim so that the brushless motor makes a screeching noise that it makes before turning forward with my finger off the trigger, but I can use reverse at full travel.

It seems that when i adjust the travel to properly calibrated, the full reverse becomes 'out of range' in effect, it no longer recognizes the input from the TX. 

Sorry for the complex explanation, but I appreciate any help!

My car is stock, and it used to work fine, but something has gone wrong and doesnt adjust properly.

TX is Ansmann W5, RX is Ansmann model R5, ESC is Modelsport UK Sniper RV-20 Auto. I have a feeling that the auto calibration is what is messing the car up. Steering is perfect.

Thanks

Charlie

Edited by cmaybe1

Very detailed information is helpful :)

Assuming the TX and RX are functioning correctly, then an ESC fault is likely. The MS ESCs are cheap for a reason ;) You shouldn't need to dial in/out any throttle trim, if properly calibrated with the trim at neutral.

So, either run with it as is and the dodgy reverse (tbh, do you need to go backwards quickly?) or consider a replacement ESC, something by Hobbywing for example.

Yeah, it seems a new ESC may be necessary. Its not really the reverse, but slowing down that is the problem as the controller doesn't have much travel in reverse. 

Thanks for all the help, couldn't have been more helpful.

Cheers

Charlie

The reverse on the RV20 is pretty naff, I have a few in the kids trucks that don't like Axial RX/TX combos, (rebranded versions of yours I believe) and have me the same issues.

As said, they are a cheap esc, I've replaced mine with RV12 Assaults and they are much better.