• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

E-revo brushless keeps splitting wheel hexes

Sam.Dzharov

I got a brushless E-revo running on 4s and I upgraded to 17mm HPI warlock rims. I went through about 4 sets of wheels for maybe 10 packs... I want to upgrade to proline rims but should I change the 17mm hexes to one's that are not splined? The traxxas ones have slots in them? I don't want to glue my brand new tyres to the brand new rims and split the hex after a couple of packs.... Any ideas? Thanks

It's definitely on the right way around (not being cheeky) I don't think you can put it on the wrong way. at first I thought I was tightening the wheel nut too much so I tightened it and loosen it about a quarter of a turn and put tiny bit of glue on the thread that didn't help...

The wheel was still tight when I tried this, so I'm thinking that because it has splines on the hexes there isn't enough surface area, is that possible? I checked quite a few forums I haven't seen anyone with the same problem, and he new e-revo and I think e-maxx use the same hex conversion...

See what you mean with those hexes. Can only be fitted one way.

Is the wheel / hex fitment tight or even sloppy / loose?

If you take off a hex, can you place it into the hex in the wheel easily, or is it super-tight, like its forcing the hex?

Al.

did you use thread loc  as a wheel nut will move without it.

yes I tried using thread lock but still the same, the problem isn't that a wheel nut is coming loose, basically the hex cracks on two or more places (if you could imagine what the hex looks like, the walls crack ) and it lets the hex on the truck spin inside the rim's hex

I'd change em n try ...can't hurt..We've never stripped a hex....or had loose nuts..lol....and we have a few rc's. ..We've had wheel hexs wear out...but not what ur eexperiencing...I'm running the savvy flux warlocks on my mt4g3 on 4-6s and they r fine...normal type hexs..no issues

Edited by evssv

Over the years, I have only managed to strip hex on 3 sets of rims, they were all hpi. I just dont think they are as strong as others, a bit too flexi.

The stock Traxxas rims cracked from jumping too much lol so I saw the Warlocks on here and decided to try them they were great but obviously the Hexes started splitting, so hopefully I wont have any problems with Pro-Line, never heard anything bad about them so we'll see 

Is there a way of seeing if the hex moulding in the wheel deforms as you tighten the nut?

Not sure I'm a fan of those type of hubs / hexes.

They'd be no problem with the wheels I normally try to run - alloy ones - but with plastic I think the support should be all the way around, not just in the corners.

Al.

The stock Traxxas rims cracked from jumping too much lol so I saw the Warlocks on here and decided to try them they were great but obviously the Hexes started splitting, so hopefully I wont have any problems with Pro-Line, never heard anything bad about them so we'll see

I've seen stripped prolines but this was from the nuts coming undone which let it round out..so I'd do em up n thread lock let em set overnight with ur track record. .lol!! Edited by evssv

Is there a way of seeing if the hex moulding in the wheel deforms as you tighten the nut?

Not sure I'm a fan of those type of hubs / hexes.

They'd be no problem with the wheels I normally try to run - alloy ones - but with plastic I think the support should be all the way around, not just in the corners.

Al.

I wouldn't run alloys it'll destroy the whole drive train :/ but that's what I thought I'm not sure what the new 17mm Hex Traxxas rims look like around the back I was  trying to find pictures to see if they are to slot right onto the traxxas 17mm hex conversion because that would make sence... Saying that if any of you guys have the new 17mm Hex Traxxas Gemini could you guys share a picture of the hex? 

I've seen stripped prolines but this was from the nuts coming undone which let it round out..so I'd do em up n thread lock let em set overnight with ur track record. .lol!!

I think any hex would get demolished if the wheel nut came of lol :D I will give the Pro-lines a go, maybe I am over-tightening them which makes the Rim's Hex ''flex'' and ''spread'' a bit which would explain the cracking ... 

• Like 1

I just had another look at the Geminis and found a picture of the Hex, it is made to fit on the Hex conversion, maybe I'll try them instead of the Pro-Lines? I was thinking of getting the Pro-line Desperados with 1/2 offset along with the Pro-lines Shockwaves, any opinions? 

I wouldn't use hpi wheels with traxxas hexs. Cos the hpi uses a squashed flanged nut mayb that's something.

But you'll be fine using proline wheels.

But if you want extra beef go for some 23mm hexs and never strip one again. Downside is sourcing them.