• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LiPo, the big guide thread *updated March '10* *

Garry

6 minutes ago, Tels said:

Hi. How do you charge the battery if the charger refuses to charge the battery cause its too low? 

My problem! 

I believe it’s new battery time mate

3 hours ago, Tels said:

Hi. How do you charge the battery if the charger refuses to charge the battery cause its too low? 

My problem! 

Being a brand new battery that isn't used? you might prefer to simply contact the seller and exchange it for a new one- depends if the cell voltage is just a little low, or it if there is actually a dead cell/broken wiring.  

If it came from overseas then it might cost more to send it back and replace it than it's actually worth- if you don't get any joy there, then read this, section 4.9: 

http://www.robotwars.00server.com/tutorials.html

This assumes the pack is undamaged and the wiring is good- might be worth using a battery meter or voltmeter to check each cells voltage first just to be sure they are only a little low, no dead cells as such.

Thanks for the link. Used the battery once from new, and was fine. (Turnigy 4000)

So just checked the cells and one is 2.2 and the other 4.6. 

So I'm gonna try out the link advice. Fingers crossed 🤞 

14 minutes ago, Tels said:

Thanks for the link. Used the battery once from new, and was fine. (Turnigy 4000)

So just checked the cells and one is 2.2 and the other 4.6. 

So I'm gonna try out the link advice. Fingers crossed 🤞 

It works 👍🏻

Charged on NiMH and kept an eye on the screen as it showed the complete battery voltage going up, when it got to 7. 1v stopped it and started to charge it the correct lipo way. When I connected everything the lower cell said 3.6 v, pressed start and its charging. Yippee.

Many thanks for those who took the time to reply and you suicideneil for the link. 🙏👊🏻👊🏻

1 hour ago, Tels said:

It works 👍🏻

Charged on NiMH and kept an eye on the screen as it showed the complete battery voltage going up, when it got to 7. 1v stopped it and started to charge it the correct lipo way. When I connected everything the lower cell said 3.6 v, pressed start and its charging. Yippee.

Many thanks for those who took the time to reply and you suicideneil for the link. 🙏👊🏻👊🏻

Curious did you charge it before use or just used it straight from the box. Always check cells on balance meter/meter and charge before first use. If the cells are not around the same say 4.20 4.20 4.19 or 4.18 then balance charge it. 
I myself took a truck out and didn’t charge one battery. Didn’t press charge lmao.

it drained one cell and cut out. Binned it.

18 minutes ago, BlackpoolAndy said:

Curious did you charge it before use or just used it straight from the box. Always check cells on balance meter/meter and charge before first use. If the cells are not around the same say 4.20 4.20 4.19 or 4.18 then balance charge it. 
I myself took a truck out and didn’t charge one battery. Didn’t press charge lmao.

Straight from the box

30 minutes ago, Tels said:

Straight from the box

There is where you went wrong. Always charge/check cell voltage. They need to be pretty even across the range. Also storage mode if not in use 3.8v per cell.

If you have fully charged and not used for couple days check voltage before use and balance charge. I take it your charger has a meter reader? I’m fairly new to these Lipo myself but done a lot of reading

2.2v and 4.6v; yikes.

Something is very wrong with that pack- it may charge up correctly but for sure keep a very, very close eye on it and check the voltage at the end of the next run- they should never be above 4.2v ( charged ) or ~3.0v fully discharged ( per cell ). Wouldn't hurt to check the LVC ( low voltage cutoff ) is set correctly on the esc, assuming it has one. 

6 hours ago, BlackpoolAndy said:

Straight from the box

Finally made m y LiPo purchase. Went with Modelsport order them Friday and they arrived today. 

Finally bought following

Absima Greenhorn LiPo 7.4V-45C 5000 Hardcase (T-Plug) - https://www.modelsport.co.uk/?product_id=440264

Overlander VSR-Mini AC LiPo Balance Charger 60W 6A - https://www.modelsport.co.uk/?product_id=425241

Got a couple of questions so I don't ruin them.

Max charge value per cell is 4.2V according to the charger manual I assume that's correct for a 2 Cell unit?

The balance lead on the battery is 3 pin yet the one on the charger is 5 pin and labelled 4S on the left and 1 on the right which side do i plug the balance cable into the manual is not specific? 

The batter manual says " For Charging our batteries we recommend a charge current of 1C (one time the capacity)" How does this translate in to the max amp as the charger can go up to 6A?

What would be typical charge time ?

Thanks in advance

Simon

20200719_110620.jpg

20200719_110649.jpg

Hi there 

when it says charge at 1c it means 1x the capacity of the battery so your battery will charge at 5Amps (5000mah battery)

As for the balance lead it looks like it will go in far right of that slot with the guides upwards

Next Question my charger can do one of the following types of charges. 

Charge
Balance Charge

Fast Charge

Storage Charge

From what I have read I should always balance charge is that correct?

When if ever could I do a fast charge?

What Amp setting should i use for each of these types of charge 5amp's. I thought you can prolong the life of the battery if you use a lower amp's is that right?

Thanks

balance charge is best 

i believe the occaisional fast charge is ok 

and when you use battery use storage charge for it and recharge fully before you use it

5000mah battery i would use 5a charge rate for them all 🍻

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who replied to my many questions.

Took my car out for the first time this evening with my Son and it was a real blast. Now I need to find some good tracks to take it on. Tried a car park lots of loose grave and some tarmac and also a field that has a few bumps for jumps. 

The LiPo were great got a god 15 minutes on each battery. Like people say i suspect they are giving the car a little more go I had forgotten how fast it went. 

Thanks again

18 hours ago, Simon Hester said:

Next Question my charger can do one of the following types of charges. 

Charge
Balance Charge

Fast Charge

Storage Charge

From what I have read I should always balance charge is that correct?

When if ever could I do a fast charge?

What Amp setting should i use for each of these types of charge 5amp's. I thought you can prolong the life of the battery if you use a lower amp's is that right?

Thanks

As Stormbringer says balance charge every time is best. And put into storage mode when not in use.

If you have charged then not used for couple days check battery on meter and recharge.

Try not to leave them fully charged tho. Sometimes it can’t be helped if it decides to rain etc. 

my batterys are 5000mah so I charge at 5.0amp

my sons are 3250 so that’s 3.2amp and 5300map so that’s 5.3amp.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I just got an overlander RC6-VSR charger. I have a thunder power rc lipo battery (3800mAh 2-cell 7.4V) I have no idea how to connect it to the charger for a nice safe charge (not sure if I can balance charge it?) I got a few cables with the charger and just not sure if I have the right cables to connect the battery to the charger. Can anyone please help? 
Thanks! :) 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Abbie said:

Hi guys, I just got an overlander RC6-VSR charger. I have a thunder power rc lipo battery (3800mAh 2-cell 7.4V) I have no idea how to connect it to the charger for a nice safe charge (not sure if I can balance charge it?) I got a few cables with the charger and just not sure if I have the right cables to connect the battery to the charger. Can anyone please help? 
Thanks! :) 

image.jpg

That charger will do everything you need a charger to do, including storage charge. You'll need the lead that came with the battery (the one you use to connect it to the car). If you don't know which connector it has post up a pic and we'll go from there. 

1 hour ago, everclear1984 said:

That charger will do everything you need a charger to do, including storage charge. You'll need the lead that came with the battery (the one you use to connect it to the car). If you don't know which connector it has post up a pic and we'll go from there. 

Thanks for your response! I managed to find out what I was missing. I was missing the other half of the dean cable that had a balance cable and banana ends on it or something. Got it charging now :) 

• Thanks 1