• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Andys X2 to 5ive Build

andyknight

Some of you may know that I've been looking around for an x2 or 5ive for a while on the second hand market.  well I found one the other day on the Baja Facebook page for £450 which I'm going to have a look at, supposedly used twice.

Edited by andyknight
  • Like 1

used....twice.....

I think that might be a bit of a tall tale.

I also suspect the reason the hobby was not for the previous owner was due to an inability to drive without ramming into stuff and a complete lack of maintenance post run.

I'd be looking to tear it right down and give it a full overhaul just to be on the safe side

• Like 1

I tracked his facebok account and it looks pretty genuine, bought as a present by his wife and not used much but when it was it wasn't looked after too well.

Ham fisted is the best way to describe it. I'm changing all the bearings when they arrive Saturday, just formed the mesh for the engine but got no shoo goo to fix it until tomorrow.

This is one from first batch looking at the exhaust.

John can you ship me bits for a Sat delivery if I call you tomorrow? Also any recommendations on areas to address?

Oil as above but will depends on how you want it to handle but you need to make sure there are gaskets in them

Ok ordered a few bits. If you can push this out asap it would be appreciated.

Hi Andy

Be interested to see this running. Be good to have you being able to keep up on the 19th.... :)

Decent quality bearings should last a good while, I'm guessing you've ordered some quality ones to replace?

Is the air filter any good on these?

Diff oil. I've told you how I like the centre diff quite well 'locked up' so I would go for much heavier oil than others have suggested.

The bearings just feel bad when the pinion is nipped up.  I might investigate the carrier tolerances today as I read another post that the alloy carrier has been known to be a tiny bit out.

Yeah already junked the alloy carrier as the tolerances aren't right for the bearings and cause them to be pinched when the pinion is done up.

Put the standard cast one back on and everything is fine.

I'm going to replace the engine in a month or two so as long as it lasts a few weeks I'm fine.

Edited by andyknight

Engine and pull start meshed.  not a fan of the silver pull start but got to use what I have until funds allow some nice upgrades.
gallery_36211_3957_1161323.jpg

Edited by andyknight
  • Like 1

Yeah already junked the alloy carrier as the tolerances aren't right for the bearings and cause them to be pinched when the pinion is done up.

Put the standard cast one back on and everything is fine.

I'm going to replace the engine in a month or two so as long as it lasts a few weeks I'm fine.

taken from large scale forums

The alloy parts are well machined, exception being the clutch carrier. The plunge depth at the bearing is too shallow to allow the bearing full recess. I had to shim 1.mm between the clutch bell and pinion groove to avoid pinching the bearing when fully tightened. The steering top plate and rear body post is a very nice pair of parts with excellent tolerances. I only tightened the servo saver a couple turns and it handles much more crisply now. The Radio link brand TX and Rx have good range and are comfortable and lightweight using only 4 aa's. I had to mess with endpoint adjustment and dual rate to get the servos setup better out of the box.

That post from large scale forums was the one I was referring to.  I couldn't see a way of shimming the pinion and clutch bell though as the key is only the width of the bolt so no room for a shim/washer.  I'd gladly revisit this if anybody has an idea how to shim it.

Edited by andyknight

Today stated off with a Saturday delivery of bits.
gallery_36211_3957_12757.jpg

Mixture of different diff oil weights, air filter outerwear, complete full force bearing set, pull start extender, fid servo arm, fid clutch bell and pinion (much better then ordinary key lock system), alloy manifold, savox 0241 servo and some driveshaft guards for the rear.

I've spent the whole day stripping the car down and rebuilding it.  I pulled all 3 diffs and replaced the bearings and seals, changing the diff oil as well.  no damage appears to be in any of them which is good. Flysky Rx fitted and bound to the tx, endpoints all set and tested.
The engine is going to be a wild card.  I reckon its a bit duff as the piston sides look badly marked through the inlet port but will have to wait until I try to start it tomorrow.

This is how she looks now.

gallery_36211_3957_973812.jpg

On the shopping list now is:

Front and rear alloy gearbox cases

Alloy diff cases(maybe)

New engine of some kind (need some help from you guys here on what to go for)

Centre diff alloy supports

New exhaust of some type

Edited by andyknight

Today stated off with a Saturday delivery of bits.

Mixture of different diff oil weights, air filter outerwear, complete full force bearing set, pull start extender, fid servo arm, fid clutch bell and pinion (much better then ordinary key lock system), alloy manifold, savox 0241 servo and some driveshaft guards for the rear.

I've spent the whole day stripping the car down and rebuilding it. I pulled all 3 diffs and replaced the bearings and seals, changing the diff oil as well. no damage appears to be in any of them which is good. Flysky Rx fitted and bound to the tx, endpoints all set and

tested.

The engine is going to be a wild card. I reckon its a bit duff as the piston sides look badly marked through the inlet port but will have to wait until I try to start it tomorrow.

This is how she looks now.

On the shopping list now is:

Front and rear alloy gearbox cases

Alloy diff cases(maybe)

New engine of some kind (need some help from you guys here on what to go for)

Centre diff alloy supports

New exhaust of some type

is this car from longton in stoke?

Edited by sean-vrs

Yep, hasn't been looked after by previous owner.  John @rcmodelz has verified the history and what the previous owner bought in terms of replacement bits which is about what previous owner told me so he hasn't lied about the history.  he has however taken no care of it, looks like its been run in the wet and not dried off before storing, all bearings rusted including couplings front and rear.

It's been rolled without the cage on as well judging by the marks and scuffs.

Edited by andyknight
  • Like 1