• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Clone pipes vs The Branded pipes

coolas4k

Has anyone ever owned a clone and branded version of the same pipe on the same car and noticed any performance differences between them? I'm wanting a Victory RC side pipe but I'm wondering whether there is actually any viable difference between them to warrant buying the 'big bucks' version? Also, is there much difference on the quality of metal used to make them? Ie. Rust problems, easily dented, cracked etc

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

The clone VRC is one piece the gen is 2 piece, so less chance of cracking the head or stripping out the bolts with gen.

Same goes for any clone really I've had a gain from a clone to a gen but diff types of pipes so defeats the question, I could get a clone VRC off my bro but it's a risk I'm not willing take :( even if it is just for a five minute test.

Also once my head is bolted to the head it says put, only seals once with the gaskets so if removed I'd need to buy more :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also once my head is bolted to the head it says put, only seals once with the gaskets so if removed I'd need to buy more :(

You're bolting two heads together.  You must be some sort of mad mechanical genius :whistling:

The clone VRC is one piece the gen is 2 piece, so less chance of cracking the head or stripping out the bolts with gen.

Same goes for any clone really I've had a gain from a clone to a gen but diff types of pipes so defeats the question, I could get a clone VRC off my bro but it's a risk I'm not willing take :( even if it is just for a five minute test.

I wouldn't expect you to test it for me anyway mate I just wanted to know if anyone has tried both pipes on their car before. Good point about 2 piece branded pipes though

I just cut my clone pipes and use a coupler..... fixes the issue without affecting performance.

I'm too wary of doing that Ant without having a spring tensioning the 2 pieces together because every time you knock the pipe on a landing etc it could dislodge from the coupling and become a ball ache to keep putting back together or at worst contributed towards ripping the bracket from the chassis (or wherever each pipe is attached to the car)

If I could weld or knew someone that could do it for me I'd definitely buy a clone and weld some anchor points for the spring... Well that's if my suspicions are correct about nominal performance differences between the 2 types

Edited by coolas4k

IMO, the finish is a bit better on a genuine pipe.

I've run a VRC and the clone version, you just cut the manifold piece off, job done, it's not an issue.

The clones of the Dominators are clones of the V1's, so a clone vs the real V1 Dom isn't any different, but the V2 Dominator is definitely more powerful than the V2, in turn it's more powerful than the clone.

I think for a side pipe, just buy the clone, chop the manifold, coupler and jubilee clips, don't forget to Dremel the pipe inlet a little bit, it's just a mm or two smaller than the engine outlet, so it helps get the gases out and thus, better performance.

I'm too wary of doing that Ant without having a spring tensioning the 2 pieces together because every time you knock the pipe on a landing etc it could dislodge from the coupling and become a ball ache to keep putting back together or at worst contributed towards ripping the bracket from the chassis (or wherever each pipe is attached to the car)

Nope, it doesn't come out lol.

Get the right size piece of hose, two jubilee clips nice and tight and it won't ever pop out.

You're bolting two heads together. You must be some sort of mad mechanical genius :whistling:

Should say header I blame the phone :)

Once the header (manifold) is bolted to the head:)

Should say header I blame the phone :)

Once the header (manifold) is bolted to the head:)

I've took my V2 Dom pipe off and back on again 3 times and used this gasket sealant on top of the used existing gaskets and it gives a perfect seal again like new every time (that's so long as your existing gaskets aren't ripped or torn) 7916effee7ff0ea2d5908e7c5eac338a.jpg

I recommended it to Ant (Almighty15) too and he's been pleased with the results too

Edited by coolas4k
  • Like 1

I have the exact same stuff :) works well, I use DDM HD gaskets all round but only work once in the exhaust.

I have DDM gasket then copper then DDM on the zorst, leak free one time deal :)

They work a few times in the carbs and a few times on the head, after that sealants needed but I only use when needs must.

Try find where it was used in this pic then

ef62dcbab9ec7ae9a6a86387a7e53b40.jpg

It's fixed now lol that was just to confirm the plastic and steel cover was bent and warped due to over tightening :(

I've had the genuine and clone of another pipe and performance and sound felt the same for both. But the genuine looked much nicer and felt stronger.

If the price difference is

I'll chop my clone if coolas chops his v2..:D

Yeah, I'm well up for that Mark... Apart from the "if coolas chops his v2" part [emoji6]

Edited by coolas4k
  • Like 1