• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

where is the fuse for my 1.1 starter motor?

froggy8

Do you have lights come on with ignition (battery, oil, hand brake, etc.)? How bright are they?

Could be a flat battery, not necessary left anything switched on but could be a power drain somewhere.....

battery is fully charged, the garage told me it could either be the starter motor or fuse, i just want to try the easy option first and that is the fuse or solenoid

So there is no clicking noise at all?

Chances are the solenoid is not engaging,if that is the case it wont be pulling the starter motor into position to operate it.

If you can see the starter motor try tapping the solenoid on top of it with a hammer to see if it is stuck,not whilst trying the ignition at the same time though!

Could also be a loose connection to the solenoid itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starter_solenoid

battery is fully charged, the garage told me it could either be the starter motor or fuse, i just want to try the easy option first and that is the fuse or solenoid

Don't take everything a garage says to be 100%......

The battery is the easiest place to start too as it powers the starter motor chap :thumbsup:

I asked if the dashboard lights were bright or not having headlamps on and them dimming is a good sign power is going from battery to starter though, check all earth straps too, one from body to engine and battery to body.

You should hear solenoid clicking as you turn key.

Headlghts dimming gives you three possibilities (it is not a fuse):-

!. Flat or defective battery

2. poor connection/earth. This can only be either battery connections (or adjacent bus-bar if it has one)  (check and regrease - temporary measure tap with a hammer) or earth strap to body, otherwise headlights would not be affected. That they are dimming suggests power is getting to motor.

3. Jammed or defective starter motor. Try putting car in gear and rocking it.

Otherwise, I suspect you will have take starter motor off and check it.

Edited by Shudson

sorry shudson, im not doubting you or anything but what benefits do i get out of rocking the car while in gear? just trying to understand is all

Don't take everything a garage says to be 100%......

The battery is the easiest place to start too as it powers the starter motor chap :thumbsup:

I asked if the dashboard lights were bright or not having headlamps on and them dimming is a good sign power is going from battery to starter though, check all earth straps too, one from body to engine and battery to body.

what do you mean earth straps?

Last resort. If starter pinion is jammed in mesh. Not sure what starter system the Astra uses, but there is a system where the starter pinion is not in mesh, but as starter motor revs up pinion is forced into mesh. Means motor is not called on to do any work until it has started to turn over, rather than from stalled.

Earth straps are the heavy wires connecting the various components to the body of the car to provide a low resistance return to battery - usually -ve these days. Often un-insulated and of mesh construction, but can be insulated and quite thick.

right this is what i have just done now, i used my jack lead and connected the earth from the battery to the engine and tried starting and still not worked then i put the car in 2nd gear and let handbrake off and pushed it forward and backward then tried starting it and still not worked.

tomorrow i will jack it up and hit the starter motor with a hammer to see if it unstick then try starting it

you need to get underneath ( unless you can reach from the top ) to the small wire on the starter motor. USually either a blade terminal or 8mm nut and see if it has feel. A simple circuit tester or even a bulb on a wire on the small terminal and see if it lights when the key is turned to start. If you have feed then it has to be the starter no feed then fuse or ignition switch.

i just remembered that i have this and if i can find the starter box then id be able find out if power is going through

DSCF2187-1_zpskjwy5mhx.jpg

Edited by froggy8

Foggy the starter is above drive shaft on left as you look up from under car , common fault on them is bushes go you can refeb it yourself if it is that that's at fault on yours but double check the spade has not jumped off the starter 1st some have spade an main cable from battery it's also looped to the alternator to charge in the loom. You had water issues aswell didn't you ? You sure it's not head gasket an not hydro locked the engine ? Silly things can happen I've seen some cars not even start or just cut out in the past due to header tanks running low but it was a 1800 ford . Is ur astra td or petrol

it was condensation in the oil and think it was airlock in the coolant.

i will check the starter motor tomorrow, is the starter above the left wheel?

cheers mate

Edited by froggy8

Ok bud least that's that out the way, no not above wheel that's the gearbox end plate on some Vaux models that's the way you slide the centre gearbox spline out to remove clutch rather than dropping gearbox out , ..... regards starter as I say if cars up in the air as you are under it look with a tourch to the left inner cv gaiter it's just above that . Think it's 2x 13mm bolts but some are spline or torque bits just depends what's on yours. Just remove battery lead to before you undo it though from starter , I'm sure there's a YouTube vid floating about of a full how to remove an rebuild the starter been few years but should be still on there , is yours mk 4 or 5

Edited by Trans4Mation