• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Doesn't matter I bought a MK5 Golf GTi instead! :)

HYPER-BOY

So... I'm stuck with a dilemma, it's a good dilemma though... lol..

I think I have decided on getting an E60, M Sport, Auto.

Now the dilemma is I can't decide on what engine to go for..

Diesel is preferred, so it's the 520d, 525d, 530d and the 535d, to be honest I think the 525d and 535d are out of the question due to the 525d not being as frugal as the 530d and it's down on power, the 535d might be a bit too much overkill..

So now, the 4 cylinder 2.0 or the 6 cylinder 3.0d ?!!  The 2.0d would be the LCi so has the 177bhp engine.

Or is the 525i Petrol worth it instead lol...

I can't decide!

Any thoughts?

Edited by HYPER-BOY

Leave the diesel well alone !!

They love blowing there turbos and it's not a cheap fix !

The petrols are bullet proof but if buying secondhand you want a good service history or just walk away low mileage is a plus but a well cared for one should be good for 200,000 plus easy

There's plenty out there so you can be really picky !!

Good hunting ;)

• Like 1

BMW are a headache full stop. Now whats wrong with a Lexus? Better drive and more luxurious. Plus it wont break.

As per doddy, avoid the oil burners like a fat bird in a boob tube at a disco, go with a six cylinder petrol.

Be mindful of any accident repairs: the front end is an aluminium construction and has to be repaired correctly by BMW.

Plenty on the market, take your time choosing....price up tyres for the 19" spider alloys too, as many owners opted for them....

As per doddy, avoid the oil burners like a fat bird in a boob tube at a disco, go with a six cylinder petrol.

Be mindful of any accident repairs: the front end is an aluminium construction and has to be repaired correctly by BMW.

Plenty on the market, take your time choosing....price up tyres for the 19" spider alloys too, as many owners opted for them....

Yeah notice quite a few have the spider's, they are nice looking but I know the tyres come at a price.

I usually go for the fat birds at the disco though, it's guaranteed you see.... lol :) - I don't really.  Cough.

Ok, so the 525i or 530i would be the ones then, notice there is a 2.3 badged as a 525i too, or are the 525i's all 2.3 ??  These Germans and their badges...

lexus drives live the wheels arn't connected to the road.

no feedback and rubbish handling compared to a BMW.

More toys in lexus and electrics, probably why they had no money left for handling.

Air conditioned ventilated seats blowing lovely cool air up your bum, very pretty media and electric everything in a lexus.

At the end of the day whilst driving i dont tend to use many of the electrical gizmos, and find the driving sensation of vital importance rather than moving the seat.

BMWs have a rare feeling and drive exceptionally well.

I have had 325 coup 1996

320i coupe M sport 2003

325i sallon 2006

lexus IS 2.2 D Full spec

Lexus 2.5 petrol 

BMW 320 D mport 2009

BMW 328I m sport 2012

BMW M sport 520 D tourer

If you do over 10 K miles a diesel should be cheaper to run, but nothing is the same as a petrol engine if that what floats your boat.

There are risks with any used car as it depends on how it has been treated. I've clocked 10 to 140 K on several of the motors and never had any exploding turbos.

The 520 D is about 8.3 seconds from 0-60 as it is a big motor, with 177 bhp.

the 530 is about 6.8 although the new 330 d xdrive GT is 5.4.

Stats on the diesels say 54 mpg but reality with motorway cruising at 70 mph (+/10) is 43-45 mpg so 20% less than stated, assume the petrols would be similar.

Do your homework, check for history, AA inspection, even ring the local garage as if it has a BMW service history all works will be logged on the PC so you can see if there has been any problems with it as they simply use the key fob to get the mileage and any  info.

But a Lexus if you just want to get from A to B without actually feeling the road or Mercs are a very comfy, luxurious car.

Not trying to upset anyone, just my experience and personal opinion, as i never believed the rubbish adverts of "the ultimate driving machine", which it aint compared to a ferrari 348, but for the normal chap in the street its the best thing i found handling and driving wise.

• Like 1

Iirc, the 'proper' 525i is 2497cc....have all the different specs somewhere but cannot lay my hands on them, think they're at mums still, oops!

Car choice is always very personal, if you like it, own and drive it IMO. Best mate has just traded a 350z for an Alfa...DIESEL!! Silly boy ;)

How close are you to buying?

Best mate has just traded a 350z for an Alfa...DIESEL!! Silly boy ;)

How close are you to buying?

Missus dad (who has the timing chain issue) had the 350z, I personally loved it, although it got mixed reviews, he traded it for an S-Type Diesel at the time, one to which he regretted after about 4 seconds of changing.

As for me, the Qashqai has sold, funds are ready and good to go!  Ready to buy asap really.  It is quite literally burning a hole in the sky (rocket).. LOL.

Matey had to, will be doing 400 miles a week with his new role, gets expensive in a V6 ;)

Keep us posted, I can grab the mags from mums this next week if you can hang on a few days...should give sufficient time to see a few and weed out the dogs...

Matey had to, will be doing 400 miles a week with his new role, gets expensive in a V6 ;)

Keep us posted, I can grab the mags from mums this next week if you can hang on a few days...should give sufficient time to see a few and weed out the dogs...

Top man :) - Yeah that would be some expense tbf in a v6!

Will be going hunting tomorrow to see whats what, won't be putting my hard earned down though, unless it is truly worth it.

535d all the way. I know they do suffer with one or two issues, but they are very nice, very fast and reasonably economical for the performance they offer. Especially when remapped. :D 

The E60 6 pot diesels do seem to suffer with some relatively common issues, some of which can be fairly costly repairs. If you can find a really nice one with good history and low mileage then you have a much better chance of not having too much bother with it. I drive lots and lots of different cars everyday (I'm an MOT tester/mechanic) and the E60 is a very nice place to be compared to most other cars. :)

My independent hates the six pot diesels with a passion, in fact he's not a fan of the newer four pot petrol or diesel lumps either...keeps on at me to hold onto my M54 2.2 lump and not get owt newer....as it hasnt yet covered 60k in 11 years mind, so it ain't going anywhere just yet ;)

They are not to bad to work on if you know what you are doing. I have changed a few turbo's but more on the 4's than the 6's. The exhaust manifold cracking is a more common issue though. You will know if the manifold is cracked if you get a whiff of exhaust fumes in the cabin when you first start the engine with all the doors/windows closed.

I might just get an E46 M3 and be done with it lol..

The reason I wanted the E60 was it's an awful amount of car for the reddies but that was looking at the diesels.

Petrol I am not so sure as to the running costs.

We'll see! - need to go and look at them in the metal and drive them.

Minging!

19s ruin the ride, the car was designed for 18s. Interior looks like an Individual range colour, baby vomit comes to mind ;)

The M3 had a mandatory 1000 mile mini service, many owners didn't bother. Such cars are worth less than those that had the service.

Seven owners on an 02 plate is high....makes me wonder how many of them were 'fur coat and no knickers' and scrimped on servicing etc...

• Like 1

Love my  2010 E90 320i

10983420_10155221230315634_4062646759662

Still slightly bored that its only a 320i

Currently looking at a M3. but i heard they havn't really got a true roar about them unless you have the rev the bollocks off it

So i'm looking at a 2014 shape scobby (****ty interior though) or a TTrs  just because they are insalely quick and still quite decent on MPG

• Like 1

Look at a v1, single turbo 335i, drop in a forge intercooler (diy job) then take it for a remap: will be looking at almost M3 v8 power without the servicing costs and fuel bills. With the money saved, pop into Birds and get a quaife LSD fitted....sorted ;)

I've had three E60/E61 now, they're a mixed bag and not a patch on the old E39.

Easy to get caught off boost in the 520d and it only did mid 30s off the motorway, throw in the timing chain worries and wouldn't have another. The diesel six is far nicer, suits it much better and not a big real world knock in mileage. Also had a 525i and you really miss the torque of the diesels but it is lovely and smooth. Couldn't keep up with the fuel bills though, low to mid 20s and a best of 30 on the motorway keeping it legal. And that's not hoofing it, it doesn't have the punch!

Couple of other bits, all three had quite a few ( mostly electrical) niggles and faults. The iDrive is just horrible and infuriating. Putting modern tunes in is a pita. They beep at you for absolutely everything. But if you need a large barge and still want it to be reasonably pointy, nothing else matches them. Still prefer the old E39 mind :)

• Like 1

The E39 was such a good car...pity there are so few nice examples left on the open market....

Often look at the Alpina B3.3, still some low-ish mileage examples about but condition varies hugely.

The M5 block coffee table is perhaps the nearest I'll get to ownership, lol

Someone I know has an absolutely mint B3.3 on his books at the moment, am trying to be good and ignore it as meant to be keeping money aside for the extension. I've got my eye out for a good e39 touring instead and they're getting bloody hard to find now :(

Had a good look around yesterday, found nothing that floated my boat, went to another dealership... Saw a really nice Golf GTi DSG - 2005, at the right money, drove it and loved it.. Deposit down!

Typical me this is, go out looking for something and come back with something else..

Pretty much what happened to me with my missus...... LOL ;) - only joking :-----)