• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Optima - Some Pics + newbie questions

adamt

Hi all, 

My kids got given a very old (very bad) RC car which has now broken.  This reminded me that I had my Optima in the loft that I built with my dad around 30 years ago.  I absolutely loved that we built it together and it's a great memory (he died when I was 14).  Now it is time for the rebirth!

I figured a few of you might like to see the photos, so see below. I have a few kinda newbie questions too that could help my rebuild.

Q1)  This will have 8mm shock bodies I assume (my verniers are not handy)

Q2)  I'd quite like to keep the original acoms ARC 227 receiver.  I assume the outputs of this will be compatible with modern servos and ESCs?

Q3) I'm going to replace the MSC.  Is there anything I should look out for?  I notice that the current wiring includes all the BEC etc, so I'm assuming I can do the same sort of thing with modern ESCs

Q4) It's a stock, kit 540 (mabuci?) motor.  I assume this would be brushed? 

20150504_172149.jpg

20150504_172125.jpg

20150504_172113.jpg

20150504_172030.jpg

20150504_172019.jpg

20150504_172038.jpg

Yep, chain drive setup.  One of the rear wishbones is cracked and naturally all four shock collars are broken.  I work in a high tech industry, and somehow the fact that everything is still compatible 30 years later is a very nice surprise.