• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Coolas4k's HPI Baja 5b ss build - NOW COMPLETED with PICS ;)

coolas4k

Hi,

Over the last few weeks I've been deliberating and deciding what 5th scale car to buy for my large scale debut! After much research and extremely helpful advice from some of you guys on here I decided on the HPI Baja 5b ss kit.

jjpklj.jpg

Even though I've been dying to get my hands working on the build since I bought it a couple of days ago, I've been waiting on a few items to arrive including a stand that I believe will be a god send especially nearer the latter stages of the build when things start getting heavy and cumbersome

xf27lv.jpg

I've also got a few upgrade parts including a dominator v2 pipe, new wing, uber RC bumpers, outerwears etc

148pwcm.jpg

I think my first job though will be the engine crank case and pull start case mesh Mod as it will need time for the glue to set etc plus it coukd be a messy affair which I'd prefer to get out the way. Picked up some fine mesh from the local hardware store for under

Edited by coolas4k

thats a cracking idea how come u didnt go in side the crank case ?

The flywheel rotates very close to the inside of the casing barely leaving any room for the mesh to be adhered. it did cross my mind the first time I saw this mod but when you actually see how much room there is you realise why they all do this mod on the outside (well all the ones I've seen anyway). Plus if the glue accidently connected the flywheel to the case in the curing period, it'd take some undoing I'd guess Edited by coolas4k
  • Like 1

My hub extenders have arrived just in time!

6417j6.jpg

Has anyone had any experience with these? It only extends each axle approximately half an inch which would be a full inch extra width with both ends done but I'm not sure if it'll actually make a difference to handling or not....? If nothing else, hopefully it'll give the wide stance look which I like

just keep an eye on those pins (front and rear hubs). They have a tendency to fly out sometimes. Hardened steel bolts and nyloc nuts tend to work better.

That's a good idea, I'll have a rummage in my spare nuts and bolts. Failing that, I might thread lock the securing bolt tightly against the pin or even a dab of thread lock on each end of the pin

That's a good idea, I'll have a rummage in my spare nuts and bolts. Failing that, I might thread lock the securing bolt tightly against the pin or even a dab of thread lock on each end of the pin

Make a flat spot on the pin so the securing screw has a little more bite

• Like 3

Make a flat spot on the pin so the securing screw has a little more bite

Brilliant idea, will definitely do that if I can't find any hardened steel nuts and bolts! :thumbsup:

It'll widen your turning circle by quite a bit, but a blip of throttle soon flicks a Baja round 180.

I never bother putting extenders on the front, for my personal set up and the way I drive, it handles better with just rear extenders.

I'll see how I get on with extenders front and rear but will bare your set up in mind if I find the turning circle a problem, cheers. What do you reckon about shock braces? I intend to bash and most likely roll the Buggy a couple of times (unintentionally of course)

I highly rate the KM rear shock brace, front is a different set up and I run the GH Racing front shock brace and towers so I don't need a brace.

I've never really seen a huge need for a front brace myself, they don't seem to come under the same sort of flex as what the rears do, which just bend like cheese.

Put some team chase shock towers on, it'll stiffen the rear up no end, I think the stock rear shock brace would be ok with the team chase shock towers, i think the reason why the rear stock brace bends so easy is the stock towers are crap, they have more movement in them than shaking Stevens.

Put some team chase shock towers on, it'll stiffen the rear up no end, I think the stock rear shock brace would be ok with the team chase shock towers, i think the reason why the rear stock brace bends so easy is the stock towers are crap, they have more movement in them than shaking Stevens.

The TC ones still move though, simply from the movement of the shocks, their is always going to be a tiny bit of movement.

Best bet is TC rear uprights and a shock brace, proper solid job then.

I rate those TC rear uprights very highly I must admit.

They do a good job in not bending though the km brace, i like the look of the km rear brace, and with these tc shock towers its indestructible on the rear now,mines getting stronger by the upgrade :)

Edited by flatout!