• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage XS changes in latest version

mhm

Hi

My local model shop has a Savage XS I'm thinking of buying but I just want to make sure its the latest version and not been sat on the shelf for a long time. What changes should I be looking for if anything?

Is there are any harm in buying last year's model, anything I would lose out on that's important?

Thanks

Ther not made anymore so it's most likely 2013 model the only changes I can remember was they included plastic hexs and spare body mounts in the updated version. 

I think the latest would have a tf40 radio these new tf11 radios look like toyz. Ide rather have the tf40 tbh.

Ask if it has the flux vapour esc and flux vector 4000kv if yes then the 65mph still isn't possible lol. It's a lie 51mph is the maximum I've seen on 3s and that was with a castle 3800kv which is the same motor as the flux 4000kv except for stator but the castle stator fits the flux can.  

tf40 looks the same as what my Savage X came with and I think it has that but will need yo check.

I am getting it for a bit less than

Ther not made anymore so it's most likely 2013 model the only changes I can remember was they included plastic hexs and spare body mounts in the updated version.

Is that official from HPI? I know that the SS is gone but haven't heard about the RTR. Stock seems good at my local dealers.

Oh yh sorry it is the SS that was discontinued. In that case see that the motor combo is still a castle system Bcos I've seen some new late 2014 hpi's come with hobbywing aswel as the tf11 radio. It might be rumour but the flux 4000kv is a little beast of a motor. Altho the esc is pants lol. 

The motor has good power but isn't the most efficient thing, the castle 3800kv runs noticeably cooler and for longer and doesn't seem any slower. Motor is definitely good enough though and there's no point swapping it out.

ESC is just a castle SV3 with a fan. Its a really good ESC and works well in 2wd 1/10 rigs and other things, it just seems to be at its limits in the XS and goes pop. Blew my original one and the new one was replaced with an SC8 off the bat then recycled into other toys where its been lovely :)

Ok so the latest version has the TF11 and a Flux 4000kv motor.

I'd rather an older one with the TF40 in that case :)

Will have to take a trip back over to the shop and see what exactly is in the box...

Reading the big Savage XS thread though it sounds like it either needs a lot of wrenching or a lot of hop ups to make it reliable...

I was looking for something morr reliable and easy to pick up for a quick bashing session than my two Nitro cars but usable in more places than my Mini8

Ring fair to them, they don't need many upgrades beyond a few simple ones, many far worse offenders out there. The trouble is the maintenance keeping them up and running properly. I'd be happier if there were more upgrades so that could spend a bit more a know it was done and wouldn't be a prob. I think a centre diff would be the best one as I'm fairly sure that the rest of the drivetrain problems are mostly caused by the slipper being pants

• 1 month later...

I have kept my xs ss on 2s lipo and have the castle 3800 sct combo and Have only had to replace a rear arm, it's a tough little truck if you don't go stupidly mad lol

Edited by Scoobyslayer

I bought my savage XS secondhand from this fine forum, and so far after 20-30 packs and probably 100 jumps and cartwheels it's not broke a thing. Not even a wheel it has come loose. I believe mine was rebuilt by Bez before I got it, which may be a factor, but it's proving to be a very tough truck. I have kept it on 2s, it's still damn fast on 2s and the drivetrain is showing zero wear and tear.