• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Build from scratch

Shaun33

Doing things by that method could make a build at least twice as expensive as just buying a kit to start with.

But should that be what you want to do, just find a model you want to build download the manual and index all the parts you need and order as an when you need the bits

If you want to get a head start, on the cheap, I've got most of a rolling chassis of a Hong Nor X3 left - 1/8 Electric Buggy :)

I'm with Bez though, tis generally much much cheaper buying a kit in, even if your budget doesn't stretch it makes more sense to me saving and buying in one go.  I like building kits / sourcing parts but there's nothing more infuriating than waiting for something you need and it being OOS everywhere, never mind the times you find a spare hour or three to work but have nothing in to do.

Edited by capri-boy

If you want to get a head start, on the cheap, I've got most of a rolling chassis of a Hong Nor X3 left - 1/8 Electric Buggy :)

I'm with Bez though, tis generally much much cheaper buying a kit in, even if your budget doesn't stretch it makes more sense to me saving and buying in one go.  I like building kits / sourcing parts but there's nothing more infuriating than waiting for something you need and it being OOS everywhere, never mind the times you find a spare hour or three to work but have nothing in to do.

You could maybe buy Hpi Vorza parts, they are cheap enough on eBay.com

Unless this is in the wrong section he wants to build a petrol car :)

I have done this in the past and it does work out expensive.

It's not so much the main parts such as arms etc but all the little bits to put it together you forget about that can make it expensive.

You buy suspension arms and then forget that you need the pins to hold them in along with the clips as well as any ball joints etc,it soon starts to add up.

Depending on what you want to end up with it might be worth buying a cheap donor car to get the main parts along with the smaller bits and then upgrade and replace as you rebuild it.

As others have said, unless you want it to work out much more expensive, another alternative is to buy second hand joblots.

I used to just for spares and before I knew it I had a fully built second Baja... Obviously not brand new, but if it bothers you that much, just save and buy a kit.

Failing that, what Bez said is your best bet, just be sure to mark off what you receive, then you don't end up with 8 left arms and no right ones ;)