• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is the Arrma Kraton any good.

Joeloliver

My mate has one and to be frank its spent more time broke than running ! It's been returned twice and as I type issue to be returned yet again !! First time was due to the electrics second was due to eletrics and a few other bits this time it's going back for stripping its diffs and blowing yet another servo and RX as forthe ESC well he just got fed up with it blowing so replaced it !.

They seem very hit and miss some are holding up great but others are having no luck at all but most have had the esc and servo go pop !

Not sure why mydoddy69 is so quick to complain about these cars. It seems the first batch has had some teething problems as most would say. His biggest complaint seems to be about the electronics. I stripped out a servo while putting my car through some very abusive crashes at the track. Arrma replaced it with no questions asked. I just needed to send them a copy of my receipt as proof of purchase. Others have cooked their esc running on 6s. From what i hear, arrma will replace that as well With no questions asked. Ive had no trouble with my esc, but have only run 4s up to this point. There are other 1/8 buggies at this price point, but not a single one of them will run 6s Period. parts are widely available, but there is no aftermarket yet. Theres no gurantee that there ever will be either. Id say you should read through the thread that stretch pointed out, and you will see where the problem areas are, and how people have addressed them. in this hobby, you generally get what you pay for. In this case you can spend more and get more. You can spend less, and get less. I can assure you that you cannot spend less and get more on this one. It is a really good value at its price point.

This sort of thing is normal. The Kraton is a perfectly ordinary and unremarkable 1/8th electric. Its just as strong, handles just as well etc and comes with the same quality of radio gear as all the others on the market. Literally its single standout feature is that it comes with a 6S capable esc, whilst everything else is 4S.

The thing is 6S is a stretch for most 1/8ths. Push them around at that speed and stuff starts breaking. Its also hard to make cheap but quality esc's that can handle 6S. Now if people bought the Kraton and only ran it on 4S it would be fine. If you want to have the fastest car in town get a 5S pack, you'll still beat everyone elses 4S cars - but no. It says 6S and that means people figure its some sort of XO1 beating speed machine.

Who's fault is it? Well its true ARRMA do advertise it like that, so most of the blame is theirs but users should be more aware that 6S is pushing the limits on such a model.

Edited by Si Coe

I've a few cars that have blew servo's ie mt4 g3 twice, savage flux xl once. We all upgrade our cars to hopefully run 6s no problems and bash proof and I'm sure the kraton with upgrades will be awesome. But arrma should of made it handle the power of 6s if that's what they are gonna advertise on the box

Not sure why mydoddy69 is so quick to complain about these cars. It seems the first batch has had some teething problems as most would say. His biggest complaint seems to be about the electronics. I stripped out a servo while putting my car through some very abusive crashes at the track. Arrma replaced it with no questions asked. I just needed to send them a copy of my receipt as proof of purchase. Others have cooked their esc running on 6s. From what i hear, arrma will replace that as well With no questions asked. Ive had no trouble with my esc, but have only run 4s up to this point. There are other 1/8 buggies at this price point, but not a single one of them will run 6s Period. parts are widely available, but there is no aftermarket yet. Theres no gurantee that there ever will be either. Id say you should read through the thread that stretch pointed out, and you will see where the problem areas are, and how people have addressed them. in this hobby, you generally get what you pay for. In this case you can spend more and get more. You can spend less, and get less. I can assure you that you cannot spend less and get more on this one. It is a really good value at its price point.

Its simple fella when there not as advertised!!. It wont run 6s without destroying itself, the electrics all bar the motor are terrible the plastics are to brittle, the diffs shatter the internal pins the servo is terrible the esc smokes itself for no reason (and not just the first batch) and the list goes on, this is not from running 6s but 5s yes it works okay on 4s but it was advertised as 6s and thats there big selling point which is a false claim and still dosen't solve there brittle plastics .. IMO its a bit hit and miss on reliability yes Arrma are good at warranty claims as they need to be with this truck !!.. Sorry its just not for me as the time you add better electrics the cheap truck becomes NOT cheap  .. If i want a cheap truck that breaks and performs as well as this and to just run like you on 4s id get the sabertooth for half the cost of this  !!

Even tho I've bought a kraton I do agree with doddy, it should run 6s as that is their selling point. I do think the kraton can be a great truck once the problems are fixed. I don't mind putting a bit of money into it as I do with all my rc's. If the esc and servo get replaced under warranty that's great. I haven't read anything that suggests the plastics are worse than other companies so that would leave bearings which are a cheap fix and longer springs at the back

Even tho I've bought a kraton I do agree with doddy, it should run 6s as that is their selling point. I do think the kraton can be a great truck once the problems are fixed. I don't mind putting a bit of money into it as I do with all my rc's. If the esc and servo get replaced under warranty that's great. I haven't read anything that suggests the plastics are worse than other companies so that would leave bearings which are a cheap fix and longer springs at the back

I wonder what you think of these now ?

Perhaps you could update this with your out the box exsperence's

I dipped my toes in the high high volt 1/8 world, and got the heck out of there.

5S on my old St mean regular regluing of tyres, and regular replacement of centre diffs. Then the ESC smoked, flamed, and generally died.

It's the same with anything running on the limit. Be prepared to rebuild, repair and spend money like water, and don;t complain when you do need to. Those running more reliable setups are usually the ones who don't push to the limit.

ARRMA obviously got extra sales from advertising it as 6S compatable....and have reaped the reward in an active returns department. But, on the other hand, you can spend well over

Wait a sec. You guys are complaining that these arent as advertised. fact1: they run on 6s. fact2: if you do cook the esc, they replace it free of charge. What isnt as advertised? These things are barely out of their first production run. ive seen that people have cooked the original escs. Have they had the same problem with the replacements? Now that we have that out of the way...since you guys think these things should be indestructable on 6s, id like to know what other cars out there are. What have you run on 6s without any issues? Im going to assume it wasnt a rtr, so please be specific to what kit it was, and what electronics you used. im constantly seeing people complain about these cars then reccommend something like a basher sabertooth. While the sabertooth is a great truck, and a fantastic value...has anyone run one on 6s? If so, how did it hold up?

• Like 1

Wait a sec. You guys are complaining that these arent as advertised. fact1: they run on 6s. fact2: if you do cook the esc, they replace it free of charge. What isnt as advertised? These things are barely out of their first production run. ive seen that people have cooked the original escs. Have they had the same problem with the replacements? Now that we have that out of the way...since you guys think these things should be indestructable on 6s, id like to know what other cars out there are. What have you run on 6s without any issues? Im going to assume it wasnt a rtr, so please be specific to what kit it was, and what electronics you used. im constantly seeing people complain about these cars then reccommend something like a basher sabertooth. While the sabertooth is a great truck, and a fantastic value...has anyone run one on 6s? If so, how did it hold up?

I run my mt4g3 and my converted hyper7 regularly on 6s and yes I do get brakages but this is normally due to me...not the rc... doing something stupid....but as a whole both hold up to sum pretty bad ass abuse. .....and the mt4g3 is pretty much same price as the arrma rc's....thunder tiger also suggest to run a the mt4g3 on 4s only...but it can handle 6s straight out the box....but they advise against it probably to cover them selves....the stock ripper 2000kv motor is sweet for a stock item...mine runs a hobbywing xerun150 esc btw...and a savox 1256tg servo with a power cap ....i bought it very tidy 2nd hand from the man above mydoddy69....and I'm glad I did as it's awesome! !...He can vouch for this truck aswell ....He even asked to buy it bak as he made a mistake selling it.... Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

I run my mt4g3 and my converted hyper7 regularly on 6s and yes I do get brakages but this is normally due to me...not the rc... doing something stupid....but as a whole both hold up to sum pretty bad ass abuse. .....and the mt4g3 is pretty much same price as the arrma rc's....thunder tiger also suggest to run a the mt4g3 on 4s only...but it can handle 6s straight out the box....but they advise against it probably to cover them selves....the stock ripper 2000kv motor is sweet for a stock item...mine runs a hobbywing xerun150 esc btw...and a savox 1256tg servo with a power cap ....i bought it very tidy 2nd hand from the man above mydoddy69....and I'm glad I did as it's awesome! !...He can vouch for this truck aswell ....He even asked to buy it bak as he made a mistake selling it....

Now this looks like a little more of a relevant comparison, however, it doesnt look like they sell the mtg4 any longer (at least not anywhere i could find with a quick google search). Is there anything out there that you can still buy which is comparable in this price range?

edit:i did find em on the thunder tiger site, but they are $600 + $60 shipping to the usa. For that price, you can get a kraton and replace all the electronics.

Edited by d1ddl3

Now this looks like a little more of a relevant comparison, however, it doesnt look like they sell the mtg4 any longer (at least not anywhere i could find with a quick google search). Is there anything out there that you can still buy which is comparable in this price range?

not sure how much the new mt4g5 is but it's being released very soon....along with sum very sweet looking thunder tigers. .

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171640292921&alt=web

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291008196378&alt=web

and our very own ms shop

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251813478981&alt=weband there's quite a few more on there...

Edited by evssv

Debate? Sorry mate, i didnt realize thats what this was. I thought this was an open forum for sharing knowledge. Regardless, in the states, the kraton is $499 shipped.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXECKVGG&P=FR&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuremBRCbtr-1qJnKi-4BEiQAh0x08B_W_-XEtPdIQU6xmyT8YnlWBJAipC_8KbhNJeY2WqMaAmin8P8HAQ

It would cost a lil more for the mt4g here. And i would have to buy it from outside the country. How is their support in the states? What is their warranty like? the kraton's is 3 years. Arrma is really good about honoring it as well.

Yes they run on 6s but if doing so smokes the esc then it's not as advertised regardless if you get a free replacement or not.

I don't think anyone sugessted it should be indestructable on 6s?

Debate? Sorry mate, i didnt realize thats what this was. I thought this was an open forum for sharing knowledge. Regardless, in the states, the kraton is $499 shipped.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXECKVGG&P=FR&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuremBRCbtr-1qJnKi-4BEiQAh0x08B_W_-XEtPdIQU6xmyT8YnlWBJAipC_8KbhNJeY2WqMaAmin8P8HAQ

It would cost a lil more for the mt4g here. And i would have to buy it from outside the country. How is their support in the states? What is their warranty like? the kraton's is 3 years. Arrma is really good about honoring it as well.

debate..thread..post.....u know what I ment....The tt still wins in my view. .....u got ur opinion...I got mine.......as long as u enjoy ur rc...I'll enjoy mine!! Edited by evssv