• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

motor cogging?

icebeaver

Does anybody know how to stop cogging, I've recently swapped my son's brushed motor for a hobbyking brushless combo.

It runs fine once it's moving but when starting 0-2mph there is a horrible noise.

After googling I found this is probably (cogging effect) but no mention how to stop it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by icebeaver

OK, I would have expected that to make some difference. Can you change the settings for motor timing? I've never fully understood it but you could play around with different timing and see what happens I suppose. Other than that, I'm not sure there's much you can do. One of my cars has been cogging ever since I converted it to brushless, I even bought a different motor with more torque and it still does it a bit. :(

• Like 2

Common with unsensored systems. Providing your mesh is correct, live with it and give quick, full trigger pulls to avoid it ;)

Listen to this man what he don't know about RC's isn't worth writing down

• Like 2

I also bought a brushless combo from hobby king about 3 weeks ago and mine has this noise. I just thought that's what it sounds like. I Thought it didn't sound right but meshing is fine and it runs great so didn't put any more thought in to it.

1 Lower the gearing

2 Reduce motor timing

3 Higher punch setting

4 Better c ratting battery's if using lipo, or switch to lipo if using nimh battery's Is pretty much all you can do to help.

other than that fitting a sensord bl system is the only way to eliminate the problem so the rotor knows exactly where it is at all times.

It's neither really nutty professor just a grinding noise like the gears aren't meshed (but they are).

I will try these things you mention big turbo.

After taking my lad to the park with it today all 3 7.2v nimh batterys got so hot I could barely hold them after changes. Is that normal?

I have ordered a temp gun

Edited by icebeaver

NiMH packs? There's the issue. The fact they are getting too hot suggests that you're geared too high for them, as in, the motor is drawing more current than the packs can supply.

Drop two teeth on the pinny, run again, checking temps every few minutes. Then go buy some lipos ;)

Yes as said that's the problem the nimh packs can not handle/cope with the discharge rate/amps that the motor is trying to pull, and hence why the packs are getting very hot. Gear down a few teeth on the pinny, lower the motor timing to 0deg and drop the punch right down is all you can do for now unless you go lipo.

Def look into getting some lipos but read up first how to look after them, charge etc.. You will get better run times, more torque and top speed too it's a win win all round. Just don't tell the missus ;-) then sell the nimh packs on.

• Like 1

In case no-one has mentioned, ditch the nimh and go lipo! ;)

Read up on them first, it's vital you have a basic understanding of the chemistry and how to care for it. There's a dedicated lipo thread, read it. Any questions, come back and ask!

Tell the Mrs to stop buying shoes, handbags and belts and that she looks fine in all the clobber she's already got! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...