• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

does this sound normal?

Ninja_Maple

so yesterday i decided to take my new rc (FTX vantage) for a 5 min run, i didnt do any jumps or anything just coasting and fast by.

I was running it on damped grass and pavement + also a little light shower. 

now when i got home while cleaning the car, i noticed this noise, like a metal rattling noise when i push the car forward and even louder going back.

I am absolutely new to this hobby and have no idea how the gearing system works etc...so i wouldnt know if theres something wrong but

i would like you guys to check it out anyway just to make sure.

when the radio and batt plugged in the car everything sounds normal to me but then i am a noob :)

here it is anyways.

heres with battery

can you tell me if this sounds normal.

thanks

[uPDATE]

opened up the car, removed some dirt from the gears and it all sounds fine now.

although i stripped a couple of screw holes even though i was extra careful with it :o 

Edited by Ninja_Maple

It doesn't sound normal to me at all.  Take the motor out, two screws and a grub screw holding the pinion, or loosen the screws holding the motor and move the motor so that the pinion (the gear on the motor) is no longer meshed with the spur (the gear on the gear box), then see if the noise has stopped.  If it has, its a motor/meshing issue, if it hasn't your onto a drive train issue.

Edited by Carpmart
  • Like 3

Follow the suggestion from Carpmart above ..... that will effectively remove any motor noise when you push teh car and allow you to hear any transmission noise.

Motors can make noise when pushed, as can poor meshing of the spur and pinion.

If you move the motor away from the spur gear, you will then be able to check the rest of the car. No noise...and you know it was either the motor or the mesh.

Check spur and pinion gear for any signs of wear or damage....

then re-mesh the gears and try again.

• Like 1

Check your wheel slop too,. the rear looked wonky on acceleration.

Likely you'll need some shims (small thin designated thickness washers) if not your wheels are really unbalanced.  Though could be axle slop.  Does she run on sealed ball bearings?

Check your wheel slop too,. the rear looked wonky on acceleration.

Likely you'll need some shims (small thin designated thickness washers) if not your wheels are really unbalanced.  Though could be axle slop.  Does she run on sealed ball bearings?

yyeah the bearings are sealed. i checked and its the wheel/tires that are not even in related to the centre of the wheel.