• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nitro fuel cooler

ouchie

Hi guys, I was looking at fuel filters and come across nitro fuel coolers that go in the fuel pipe between the exhaust an nitro fuel tank, any one had one and if so are they worth having?

Cheers guys

I've never heard of fuel coolers, but I can't see that cooling the gas coming from the exhaust into the fuel tank is going to have any effect whatsoever, as pressure systems in the engine are designed to pull fuel from the tank, so when it is running the positive pressure going into the tank from the exhaust is doing nothing. My understanding is that the tube between the tank and the exhaust is only needed for priming when the engine can't pull fuel and it needs the positive pressure, which is why you need to put your finger over the exhaust... And once you've used a tank of fuel and refilled and are ready to prime it again, the engine and exhaust are so efficient at shifting heat that cooling it will not have much effect... I may have the wrong end of the stick here with my physics knowledge so I apologise if I'm wrong, but my opinion would be not to bother as it sounds like a money sucking gimmick that is just more to go wrong :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I thought that the gas pressure was used to push the fuel into the carb helping the venturi effect of the carb itself? Cooling this exhaust gas i cant see having effect what so ever on the fuel itself. Surely a warmer fuel is better? It will vapourize easier or does nitro not behave like petrol? Cold fuel and engines are a pain to start and run.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The Venturi in the carb should be able to suck enough fuel up by itself, and the exhaust to tank tube will only be used when priming since if you have a tuned exhaust it will be more focused on producing the back pressure needed to keep as much of the fresh charge in the cylinder as possible... So there wouldn't be any positive pressure into the tank anyway...

I definitely agree that warmer fuel would be easier to vaporise and burn, but you want as much fuel flowing as possible, so cooler fuel would help as it would be more dense...

I don't know, but I imagine the fuel companies formulate their fuel to be a compromise between these two...

I'm just speculating so I may be wrong, but I still hold the opinion that fuel coolers and similar items are just money making gimmicks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you are a racer, and a minute of extra runtime means you complete a race without a fuel stop...then it's worth every penny. It does fractionally help fuel usage by keeping heat out of the tank.

If you are just having fun down the park, then it's a waste of money.

The theory of keeping the fuel cooled is sound but the actual cooler is too small and often mounted in an inappropriate place (next to the exhaust).....and even if there was a massive front mounted radiator the change in fuel temperature and performance would be minute.

Looks bling though. :)