• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stripped 1mm hex screw

ZombieBite

You may be able to tap a small bladed, watchmakers screwdriver into the hex sufficiently to back it out. Try some tissue on the end of your Allen key, amazing how those fibers can grip a seemingly smooth surface and get purchase. Is it thread locked in? Heat will melt the threadlock.

Best option is drilling out I'm afraid, and when replacing, use less threadlock and an Allen key in perfect health: worn keys are often the cause of the rounded hex ;)

• Like 2

You should be able to drill them out with a drill bit slightly smaller than the bolt size eg for a 3mm dia screw pilot with a 1mm drill bit, then move up in 0.5mm increments. They should fall out by the time you get to 2mm drill size. This obviously depends on you having access to the screw head with a drill.

You may be able to tap a small bladed, watchmakers screwdriver into the hex sufficiently to back it out. Try some tissue on the end of your Allen key, amazing how those fibers can grip a seemingly smooth surface and get purchase. Is it thread locked in? Heat will melt the threadlock.

Best option is drilling out I'm afraid, and when replacing, use less threadlock and an Allen key in perfect health: worn keys are often the cause of the rounded hex ;)

I've a small screwdriver I could try that with. There's no thread locker on it, its gotten a little rusty though so that probably didn't help.

Somebody recently posted some info on some sort of gripping paste, you dip your screwdriver into the paste and this course paste gives the driver enough grip to be able to remove even the most knackered screws......I just cant seem to remember the name of it LOL.

Argh!!!

I have 2 rounded 1mm hex bolts and they're driving me mad. I don't have a dremel or any other way of cutting them so is there any other way to get the bloody things out?

try sum torque bits...the star looking ones. ..i have had success doing this more then once on rounded Allen heads...... Edited by evssv

Managed to get them off! I was able to grab the sides with pliers and after a bit of twisting manage to get them unscrewed.

Now does anyone want to point me in the right direction of the best place to get new ones, I know you can get proper HPI ones on modelsport, but is there anywhere better? I could do with other sizes as well actually as there's a few others looking a little rusty and I should probably replace them sooner rather than later.

Is it possible to buy a full set of screws for a specific model, or is it just a matter of buying individual ones?

Somebody recently posted some info on some sort of gripping paste, you dip your screwdriver into the paste and this course paste gives the driver enough grip to be able to remove even the most knackered screws......I just cant seem to remember the name of it LOL.

Gitagrip paste. It works wonders...to a point..if the rounding off is that bad, only a drill will suffice.

Good to hear you have them out :)