• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Torro M16 Quad Gun Carriage

Noj

Soon as the box is modded :) the torro NiMH pack is a wee, 650mah thing, which neatly fits in between the AA springs at either end. I've got an overlander 2500mah pack, which is a bit larger, so the springs and 'some' plastic needs to go, so I can close the door and run it ;)

Aiming for a vid over the weekend....on the bench, the tracks fair whizz round, so it may have a reasonable speed, lol!

• Like 1

They do love me...

Seeing as how this tank thread has loads of tank builds on it, and, being the perennial fly in any ointment, I'll put the Panther to the back of the cupboard and blindly continue on with this.

So trailer, elmod board and resin accoutrements ordered from rctank and the trumpeter 1/16 M16 static kit ordered from eBay.... all will become clear when the kit arrives, hopefully before New Year :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the bits ordered pre xmas, from rctank, arrived much quicker than usual, go figure... 

I give you : boxes, stowage, elmod board and many sheets of plastic,bag of parts and German instructions for a trailer,,,,,oooooooo, 'ow posh :xd:

trailer50DSCN2527_zps50007d86.jpg

trailer51DSCN2528_zps25fab2ed.jpg

trailer54DSCN2531_zpsd2428fb5.jpg

trailer53DSCN2530_zps6a164943.jpg

trailer52DSCN2529_zps16acb95c.jpg

trailer55DSCN2532_zpsa9eddae4.jpg

trailer56DSCN2533_zps10af72c9.jpg

trailer58DSCN2535_zps7b1d6ca7.jpg

more to come.....

So the poor level of detail on the Torro was a mild concern...so, I sprung for the original 1/16 Trumpeter plastic model, from which Matorro copied their M16. Very comprehensive kit, metal chassis rails, detailed plastic parts and the all important metal and brass bits, that seem to be deriguer for 1/16th armour:

Trumpeter70DSCN2536_zps5fad8e90.jpg

Trumpeter71DSCN2537_zps139941cb.jpg

Trumpeter72DSCN2538_zps50fc8212.jpg

Trumpeter75DSCN2541_zps839d1d10.jpg

Trumpeter76DSCN2542_zps43879f80.jpg

Trumpeter73DSCN2539_zps8ddf52f0.jpg

Trumpeter77DSCN2543_zps3a669f06.jpg

The board will live in here, I believe: Trumpeter78DSCN2544_zps62f3fce5.jpg

Trumpeter74DSCN2540_zpsa8388ca7.jpg

So, short of an 8ohm speaker, a flashed tx with return lever mod, smaller rx and an airbrush, I'm ready to go  :xd:  :xd:  :tease:

Initial thoughts are it could be done although the cast chassis could be an issue in terms of cable routing. The main parts are seemingly identical, just much better formed with better detail.

Comes down to running gear, as the rc uses metal where the kit is plastic.

It's a pity that the detailed engine can't be mock fit over the can: being an inline six it's too narrow....

The strip and rebuild will show what's what :)

Strip down started, have reached an impasse with removing the cab and gun mount and rear plate, so I shall return to it when fresh. Fancied a gander at the diff,thwarted by not having a socket slim enough to fit into the wheel to undo the nuts  :confused:

stripdownptone01DSCN2563_zpsa42ab10e.jpg

stripdownptone01DSCN2560_zps4eec52cc.jpg

stripdownptone01DSCN2559_zps15d49da9.jpg

running gear for the tracks is all metal, with rubber tyres:

stripdownptone01DSCN2561_zps4b28f6df.jpg

Where the rx will live, note how there are mouldings in the corners to facilitate a screw down cover.... :naughty:

stripdownptone01DSCN2564_zps8721fa52.jpg

Can o offer up a tip. 

SPRAY NOW !!! 

you really need to spray those looms and plastics now.

the trucks main body would have been US issue Drab olive green ( they did not use camo effects until past the 70's)

crude camo was painted on by the squaddies, but these beasts look alot better in the drab olive with the sandy dirt splashes

runs and blocking where it would gather when in battle conditions. 

the insides of road wheels would get blackened up a little and get coating in dirt and likes.

never seen in pure drab unless right of the factory floor. 

Wheel nuts , very handy tip for you guys. in the old days we used to grab a steel rod / alloy rod 

if you grind out a rough oblong in the center wide enough you can slip it over two sides of the nut

and be able to remove them.  they look like a rounded fork with two little quarter moon prongs.

also check out those tamiya wheel wrenches , maybe able to mod one slightly like above trick.

PENCILS, different weights of pencil give differnet metalic hues.

i use a HB 2 pencil over black acrylic to give that blackened steel shine :)

(will grab a photo and add to thread for you) so parts like the front fender being twanged and showing some metalic shine

a quick color in of pencil then a cotton bud dry rubbed over ( or a finger to spread the carbon sheen around).

this trick you can see in some smaller tank kit builds, where the gun mantels have a metalic rub on the edges and hook loops.

HB2 pencil trick

lB3DXK7.jpg

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

It'll all be sprayed before reassembly Tami, no fear ;)

Good job I bought the kit, as dismantling the rc will involve cutting out glued on parts, namely radio and rear rack of magazines, located on the bulkhead behind the cab: two screws which attach the rear bed and guns live underneath, once that is out, I'm confident that the rest will follow suit...

All in pieces now: the cab was a fiddle to dislocate, once the screws were undone, a plastic tab needed some persuasion with a small, flat bladed screw driver, cab off, desolder the front lights and away she came. 

The rack of ammo cans simply unclipped from the rear of the drivers compartment the radio and mounting plate had to be sawn off, but came away cleanly and will be replaced anyway  :thumbsup:  Board and speaker simply unbolted, haven't had a poke inside either the gun mech or the gearbox yet...undecided where I'll take the gun mod....depends on whether or not I choose to run the led's in the 50s...

stripdown201DSCN2584_zpsa4fd118f.jpg

stripdown201DSCN2585_zpsfb66e423.jpg

stripdown201DSCN2580_zpscf057adf.jpg

stripdown201DSCN2582_zps1c3f88d0.jpg

stripdown201DSCN2583_zpsaf6ed12d.jpg

stripdown201DSCN2587_zps697bb048.jpg

stripdown201DSCN2586_zpsad59b932.jpg

stripdown201DSCN2588_zpse0ef75ce.jpg

These arrived today :

stripdown201DSCN2589_zps6137e95b.jpg

stripdown201DSCN2591_zps4ba458d4.jpg

to replace: 

stripdown201DSCN2590_zpsa8f49ad7.jpg

Looks nice ... and those decals look really nice and detailed!

Is this only rear 'wheel' drive? Real thing had a powered front axle, but I guess there is no room for a transfer box on this scale. How does it affect the drive of the vehicle?

I have a 'plan' around building a larger sized half-track, and the fact I can only make it rear drive was worrying me slightly. I was going to go more for the German pattern of longer tracks and unpowered front beam ... but I need to have brake steering on the tracks, and that is a pain and will probably put more stress on the diff than I want.