• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best way prep a lexan shell?

Daveyb84

Sorry if this in the wrong section but I couldn't find another place for it.

Trying to paint a body shell but the paint is cracking terribly. I've been told its because the prep is wrong so was wondering what's the best way to do it?

Normally its a wash with fairy liquid, rinse and wait to dry, this. The only body that's been causing me issues as well.

To paint I only apply thin layers, wait to dry then go again.

Yeah I'm using the tamiya model paint. I've properly shaken the tins too. I think I've worked what it is. I think its coz I'm doing it outside and its really cold so moisture has got involved

Edited by Daveyb84

Thats how i do it as well, tiny bit of fairy liquid as not to leave it to greasy, rinse with warm water, give it a good shake to get rid of much water as poss, wipe clean with paper towel, paint in thin layers using tamiya ps paints or pactra, always worked a treat that way for me, right paint is essential :)

Ohh and i nick the mrs hair dryer for use inbetween coats lol, keep it warm, that could be your problem.

Edited by the watchman

Use one of those kitchen scouring pads, the foam ones with an abrasive material on one side, to lightly scuff the surface first (not the windows !!!) before washing in warm soapy water. Does make the paint adhere better. And as mentioned previously using a hair drier between coats really speeds up things. About a minute is usually enough. When the paint turns matt that's enough.

I've painted in unheated sheds with no problems this way. Just bring the shell back inside right away.

John

Edited by johninderby

In short! Wash with warm soapy water, rinse and towel dry making sure you get any nooks and crannies, then gently warm(not roasting) shell and paint and spray as normal.

I've done many that way with no probs at all.

As atom3624 said wrong paint type (abs vs lexan)? I painted only one shell no previous experience with only prep being washing with dishwashing liquid, drying and not touching afterwards. Badly painted, too thick in some places, painted in low temps (basement, not heated). Pieces flex at 90 degrees and paint did not even crack not even a tiny one. I'm still amazed, really good paint (tamiya).

22C75BEB-6BAF-47C7-BC4A-24107B7DD21A.jpg

That's the paint I've used. I think I've sussed it now though, thanks for all the help. Appreciate it. I've scuffed the surface a bit and turned the can upside down to clear it out, got the hairdryer and jobs a good en. Will show you when its dried fully. Well happy with it now though :)

I've never had an issue with your original method of fairy liquid, wash, rinse and dry. With Tamiya paint too. The only thing I can think of is you're putting the paint on too thick, light misting coats are best as they dry quicker and build up the colour in layers.