• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Well that was a bit scary....Savage incident

nr73

So, just been having a look at what appears to be a dodgy & sticking 'setup' button on the Hobbywing ESC in my Savage Flux. It's been insisting on going into setup mode rather than normal mode for much of today, and on closer inspection the little setup button seems to be sticking somehow, although it's not the phyical button itself.

I was in the conservatory with the Savage on a stand, TX turned on. Turned the ESC on a few times in succession and got mixed results, sometimes setup and other times normal mode. Then after several attempts at that it does neither, but starts doing something else along with random beeps. What it was doing at that point, it later transpires, was recalibrating the TX throttle without any button presses from me, just bogus presses from that button being faulty.

The next time I switched it on, it went full throttle reverse, the tyres ballooned to the size of pancakes, which caught the stand it was on and knocked it off the stand. It then did at least 2 backflips literally inches away from me. It was like being locked in a cage with a tiger. Fortunately I had only sat the lipo's in the battery trays, but not closed the lid because I was just trying to find the fault with that switch. So after a few backflips one of the lipos got flung free and that cut the power. In effect this was a runaway in my conservatory.

Just spent 20 minutes hoovering half of today's quarry bash off conservatory windows, ceiling and floor, and hand scrubbed the tyre burnout marks from the laminate floor. Runaway savages in the house do not a happy wife make.

So...after that I removed the wheels, sat it on the stand and anchored it down. TX throttle is now recalibrated and working as it should, I'm going nowhere near that button from now on though and I've a replacement ESC switch on order along with a program card for it. Lesson learned, next time it's wheels off and anchor it down to my stand before I do anything with it. While it could've been a lot worse, it definitely shook me up!

• Like 1

Lol.....very lucky dude!!!...just as well it wasn't on the ground pointing at road...group of people. .....a wall....

Yep, although if it launches itself against a wall or other object I'm not that bothered, as long as it's not a person in the way. When I'm out and about with it I always turn it on while holding it in the air by the roll bar, then I test it in the air before setting it down anywhere. Once the ESC has powered on, without going into setup, it's absolutely fine. Good job one of the batteries made a bid for freedom though!! :)

Dude, had a runaway bl 5ive in my living room, appreciate how puckering the experience is!

Remove the pinion or wheels in future, no chance of a runaway then ;)

Will do...good advice there Noj... :) Edited by Neil Robinson
  • Like 1

"It was like being trapped in a cage with a tiger" Lmao!!!

I can only imagine the size of the "pizza cutters" you were trying to tame lol, RC Edward scissor hands with a headache.

Lol had the same thing calibrating a new receiver in my Thunder tiger E MTA-4... Dirty big burnout on the kitchen table and a can of drink knocked flying,scared the poop outta me,and took a long time to get the burnt rubber off the table.

I never calibrate such a beast on it's wheels. Also when I switch on (I have a rival, 6kg on "just" 4S and not even able to do backflips due to center diff), I hold it by the roll bar, wheels in the air, until the esc has armed.

I never calibrate such a beast on it's wheels. Also when I switch on (I have a rival, 6kg on "just" 4S and not even able to do backflips due to center diff), I hold it by the roll bar, wheels in the air, until the esc has armed.

Yep, I do the same if I'm going to go anywhere near the transmitter. Problem is, I had it go half throttle - still enough to pancake the tyres - when I was doing that because I had the throttle trim set wrong. And then you've got a savage going crazy in one hand, TX in the other and you very quickly need to figure out what the problem is and fix it - hopefully without making it even worse! I now have it set to forward or brake, no reverse, so anything happens I should be able to just brake with the TX - providing the ESC doesn't reconfigure itself again!

This is one of the most entertaining threads in a while.

Stories are crazy, but most definitely true.

I thought my 'runaway' with the E-Maxx then on 4S with tyre marks halfway up the wall was bad enough.

We can all understand.

Locked in a cage with a wild tiger - you should write books mate!!

Al.

• Like 1