• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

this model any good?

Wavey

I don't have any experience with these but I think that is a kyosho which means parts availability can be an issue. Also I doubt this actually does 60 RTR out of the box, also if it can do 60 out of the box being a 1/10 it will probably smash to pieces if it meets a curb or wall. A 1:8 will generally be stronger...

If staying with 1:10 lots of people seem to rate the hpi firestorm, stating it is a tough little car. Hpi spares are easy to get hold of so you'll have no issues there either. Ftx stuff is well priced and the parts are cheap and quite easy to get hold of too. From what I have seen they seem to be good cars for the money. If you want speed go for a brushless version of whatever you get and think about where it will be driven. 1:10 buggies will struggle in grass if it is too long so a truggy/truck might be better if it will be used in those conditions.

Rule 1 of RC speeds:

When a manufacturer claims a speed figure....it is ususally PR rubbish. It generally requires gearing that makes the car undriveable, or else things have been modified that they willforget to tell you.

Rule 2 of RC speeds:

When other people claim a top speed for an RC, it's rubbish unless they have proper gear to measure it with. 'My car does 70mph easy..... yeah sure. What cliff did it fall off to do that ;) To get a real speed, go to an event where they have proper timing gear to measure things.

So....really....forget the 'how fast' thing. Any half decent brushless truxk will go fast enough to be fun. Too fast just isn't controllable on anything but smooth surfaces.

Now...cars....

Kyosho make some great cars. There entrance level stuff isn't briliant, but it's OK. The big issue in the UK is spares support. Can be a real problem. Snap something in a silly mishap, and you could wait weeks to get what you need.

The FTX Carnage is a good starter car, but it's a bit fragile when abused. ~If you are on a tight budget, it's fine.

Nothing wrong with a Slash...very good cars ... but a

• Like 1

I love my Carnage. Yes it can be fragile but parts are readily available and not overly expensive. What I would suggest is getting a good set of hex drivers and replacing the hex hardware with something a lil less cheese based. 

This Kyosho, and some other models like it are 1/10 in scale but built like a 1/8th. It is far stronger than the Carnage.

Speeds are irrelevant. My race cars do about 40 tops but trust me that's fast enough.

Great advice guys, the. I'll look at the party's issues with the kyosho as you all seem to think its OK and strong. If not I'll look at the hpi firestorm asnim sure my lad will be abusing it so stronger the better. Carnage souns s a little week. Thxc again

My cars do 40mph well the revo should do 40. The baja claims 50mph but i think 30mph is more like it.

That kyosho looks nice but the hyper brushless stuff is probably the same price around

Thing is with nitro, you have to wait for the revs to build, brushless set up right is instant,brushless acceleration with good tyres is far better than a nitro plus if its a sensored brushless,no contest. I've noticed with RC's its the acceleration that fools people into seeing a fast car, top speed is irrelevant, you need just as much room at 70 mph for a 1:10 as you do a real car so think about that also. I've had 60+ vehicles but you find less places to run them, a pebble to a 1:10 is like a boulder, any dips,bumps and stones will send it off to the side then smack,destroyed car. Stick to around 35-40 mph and get it accelerating quickly, way more fun.

The guys. I think I'm going to get him the carnage ftx and see how he gets on. The parts seem reasonable and its not too pricey.

One final question... If I want to squeeze a bit more speed out of it, would upgrading the battery from the provided 3250 man liopo to a 4200 do this? Anything else I can get to help with more speed? (That's not to pricey and simple to do) the in advance

If you get the brushless one, just find out the fastest motor that the ESC will handle and buy one of that power. Most RTR cars seem to have 3 or 4 turns of head room (or 1500-1800Kv)

Then get a handful of pinions to match the gear ratio to the new motor.

(Why the fascination with speed? Most hobby grade RCs are plenty rapid, make sure he can drive it before you start making it faster)

Hpi firestorm or traxxas slash, these two cars would be brushed for your budget but.....

They are brushless ready meaning a upgrade down the line is easily done.

Parts and hop-ups are everywhere for both cars and not mega money either.

There both tough as old boots and take some proper hammer!!

The last thing you want is something breaking every time your out, this will put your lad off quickly then your left with a rc that's in the loft and wasted money.

Speed isn't everything, my slash has a 3800kv motor in it and on 2s it's a laugh, nippy off the line, donuts for fun too, by far the best basher I have ever had, my lad has the firestorm and again it takes some proper abuse as a 7 year old would and all that has is a rpm front bumper otherwise it's bone stock.

Hope this helps, gaz.

The guys. I think I'm going to get him the carnage ftx and see how he gets on. The parts seem reasonable and its not too pricey.

One final question... If I want to squeeze a bit more speed out of it, would upgrading the battery from the provided 3250 man liopo to a 4200 do this? Anything else I can get to help with more speed? (That's not to pricey and simple to do) the in advance

Won't make it faster ... but it will let it run for longer. As long as the stock battery was up to to the task, all will be well.

Fitting a more powerful motor isn't always a good idea .... If your ESC is on the limit, it won;t last as long, and you need to be sure the gearing is right. You will then find the diffs and driveline have a limit on what they can handle, and you may end up spending a load on spares and upgrades to try and cope with the extra power.

Better to just enjoy it as it is, and when you want to go faster....sell it and buy something designed to run faster.

• Like 2

I have one of those and on a standard battery set up it is quick, i have tried it with the more expensive batteries and it became very quick so was not usable in any reasonably confined spaces, it is a really good fun toy. I only bought it as my 8 year old wanted an RC car so bought him a tamiya lunchbox which is great fun, i bought the truck to go and play with and join him, makes the lunch box look like a snail!!