• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ascender thoughts

Bigyeti007

Can't help but post pics, went out for a little bit yesterday. Also in the last pic you can see I have some bumper bling :)

Tested my waterproofing, by pretty much submerging it, unfortunately motor cut out, just had to flick brushes (springs too soft to keep them in good contact I think) and worked fine again. Servo still fine, receiver is in a balloon with silicone grease and 2 zip ties.

Also upped the pinion to 18, so running 18/84, I still get good crawling power, with great wheelspeed for hopping rocks.

s9lQj7U.jpg

KSExWCP.jpg

QSs0NrB.jpg

ZQc6hUB.jpg

• Like 2

Boom racing shocks arrived, droop only unless you use a harder spring which would cause less articulation.

The truck looks more scale now as it's not all jacked up.

Running soft springs and 27.5wt oil, silky smooth and will take out for a test run in a bit.

sx9Gztc.jpg

uco1Eqq.jpg

oYXZRdo.jpg

IkivSCc.jpg

EtDD1XW.jpg

• Like 3

Now decided on medium springs, gives it a little lift so not fully droop, but has the same articulation. Also with the soft springs the torque twist is very noticeable, shall see what it's like with medium tomorrow.

I don't want to use higher wt oil as the pistons only have 2 holes on the boom shocks.

Verdict on shocks even with soft springs, if you don't mind a slightly lower ride definitely get them. I had no trouble going over things I have before, I found it to be a little more stable (still tips but can hold better when side hilling), the axles articulate loads, no springy feeling, keeping the tires planted, very smooth. (of course it will bounce when going full speed, but when crawling they perform excellently)

Overall they are a great upgrade, also my steering is now up to 115% on my spektrum transmitter as you don't have to worry about rubbing the springs.

On the note of a brushless ascender:

Shocks look good mate. Still so undecided on what sort of rc to buy.

Love scaler / crawler stuff (have a losi NC) but want abit of speed, possibly a ascender / scx running high kv brushless!

I love speed as i have a Blitz as you see, which rockets along... But wanted something technical and I really enjoy my ascender. I have geared it up a bit, but its still not fast, and never will be with a 35t motor. But it is a lot of fun as you have to pick where to place the tires when trailing

I have a 21.5t brushless system fitted in my SCX10, it's a Hobbywing Justock esc with a Much More Racing ZX 21.5t motor. At the moment I have it geared just above walking pace. Some brushless motors let you adjust the end bell timing, advance it to give you more speed, retard it to give you more torque.

i have only one pinion go and that was before I shimmed them. One driveshaft twisted, but still worked good enough to drive. I also have the MiP's but lost a pin out of one cvd. Luckily I bought spares at the time...

I broke 2 pinions but shimmed them tight now and no problems since.

Had to order new brushes and springs for my motor now, had a good amount of use but sometimes it locks up and needs a nudge. The stock springs were pretty rubbish, and the brushes might just need a little grinding down as they have a little more life left.

Its quite hard to find stand up brushes here in the uk.

I've had no problems with my MIP shafts, made sure I used thread lock on everything though.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately guys I have left the Ascender group due to financial issues, it had to go :(

I'm obviously missing it already, it was a great kit and scaler, with amazing capabilities.

I have at least kept the ESC, Motor and boomerang shocks, so I am planning to get another kit when I am settled in my new job and have a place to live. I plan to build it with a short wheelbase and put a Gelande 2 D90 body on it, probably another Alturn servo, HD pinions and the MIP driveshafts again. Probably go with the G-Made beadlock wheels, and some Mud Thrasher tires this time.

I will keep up to date with this thread, and see you all continuing to enjoy your ascenders, I hope mine has gone to a good home.

Shame about that as you did some nice work on yours, and hopefully you get another one sometime. Mine is running fine now. I am thinking of getting a set of those Boomerang shock soon since you seem to like them.