• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

car won't start when the engine is warm

froggy8

It will 100% be the ECU. Vauxhall in their infinite wisdom decided to mount it directly to the engine, so all the heat/vibration eventually takes its toll.  I have seen plenty of Astra's/Corsa's with the same fault, and many more with other ECU faults. There is a work around where you wire a relay and an inertia fuel shut off switch in to switch on the fuel pump when the ignition is on.

And I know what I would be doing. And It wouldn't be replacing either. There is a very simple check you can perform at the fuel pump relay to check if the ECU is commanding the fuel pump to run. It switches the earth side of the control circuit to energize the relay. And BTW I am not an armchair mechanic, I do this for a living. You can heed my free advice if you like, or you can start replacing things you don't need to replace, its up to you.

And I know what I would be doing. And It wouldn't be replacing either. There is a very simple check you can perform at the fuel pump relay to check if the ECU is commanding the fuel pump to run. It switches the earth side of the control circuit to energize the relay. And BTW I am not an armchair mechanic, I do this for a living. You can heed my free advice if you like, or you can start replacing things you don't need to replace, its up to you.

I'm also a mechanic thanks maybe you should get back to your armchair :)

I would normally suggest a possible crank sensor fault with these symptoms. In this instance though, from my own experience I can tell you that the crank sensor won't be at fault. If there was a crank sensor issue then there would be a fault code to go with it. I have first hand experience diagnosing and repairing this exact fault on numerous occasions. Does the ECU set the "P0230 Fuel pump primary circuit malfunction" code by any chance? 

• 4 weeks later...