• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project: X

-BEZ-

Soooooooo...... I took her out for a little test run this evening in the local car park.

Diffs are too lose, so first off I will be slapping some super think gunk in the center and see how that effects the over all performance, I need to tune in the ESC and drop the gearing for car park fun as it was spiking at 500A/5.2KW and lets face it the motor got rather hot after thrashing about for 10 mins, I should have gone easy on it but I found it too much fun haha.

I even managed to light up the tyres, see 55secs on the video below for some tyre burning action (If i mess with the diffs some more I will be doing more of that haha)

Oh and the servo arm bolt fell out so I kept having to stop and pop it back on, temps were high but I expected that when running 8s through a 6s motor and gearing it 26t pinion to 48t spur. But for first impressions ......... this car has buckets of potential :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-n6jotadBE&feature=youtu.be

Looks fast but sounds like death lol

IKR body scrapes and It was bouncing off the power limit, but not bad for a shake down.

So, you've built the Worlds fastest RC drifter!  :thumbsup:

Well when im not using it for speed runs I want to make it light up the tyres on demand lol

I left a lot of the settings stock including diffs just to see how they would cope ....... and the result is they didnt so it drove like a FWD lol. Plastic mount worked but I got carried away and ran it for too long (>10 mins) and melted it and cracked it somehow lol 

So I will be setting up the cnc v.soon to cut a 10mm thick ally version, then its going to be fettling the diffs, trimming the front of the body, perhaps sourcing some stiffer front springs as they are at full preload now and still compress to much under breaking.

Give it a few days and I should be ready for round 2 of testing :)

Great work Bez, as always.  I'm quite interested in a couple of things, namely overvolting the castle and how that affects it's current draw from the esc, as I plan on running the 1512y on 6S at some point and it's prob analogous.

Also, and more pressing, is how the driveshafts hold up.  I've heard 6s has a tendency to twist them in the SSe and SSTe - now if they we're just bending I'd think that'd be less of an issue for your onroad, but people have reported them twisting so some of that would seem to be related to power handling.

Well when im not using it for speed runs I want to make it light up the tyres on demand lol

Mission Accomplished on that score then! It's looking good buddy, can't wait to see the second round of testing.

Great work Bez, as always.  I'm quite interested in a couple of things, namely overvolting the castle and how that affects it's current draw from the esc, as I plan on running the 1512y on 6S at some point and it's prob analogous.

Also, and more pressing, is how the driveshafts hold up.  I've heard 6s has a tendency to twist them in the SSe and SSTe - now if they we're just bending I'd think that'd be less of an issue for your onroad, but people have reported them twisting so some of that would seem to be related to power handling.

6s on a 1512 will be fine as long as the gearing isn't too silly 15-17t pinion to a 48t spur kind of setup. The higher the tooth count on the pinion the more amps and higher temps will be generated.

On 8s the GT was pulling around 250-300A with the 1515 with 26:48 gearing. and generating high temps on the ESC and motor ........ so I will be reducing the gearing a lot I think i will fit a 17t pinny for bashing. I will also keep my eyes open for a cheap traxxas spec 1717.

Drive shaft wise the GRP tyres are small and light so I don't expect a huge amount of twisting, that said the rear dog bones in particular are pretty skinny.  I Think I will see higher levels of wear and tear when I put heavier oils in the diffs and its torturing the tyres more lol

Mission Accomplished on that score then! It's looking good buddy, can't wait to see the second round of testing.

I wont be happy till I can do full on tyre smoking burnouts/donuts, so watch this space ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Where did u get the side guards mate? Just got myself a gt! Presuming normal hyper ones dont fit? Says the gt is a longer wheelbase than a normal hyper

You might want to look at Hobao p/n 89805 too - there like Bez's awesome orange braces for the side of the shell, but stock parts from the Hyper 8SC.  I've no seen an 8 SC up close though from the pics I don't see why they wouldn't fit - whether there the correct width or close enough to alter idk, but look a simple solution for us mere mortals.

20110111181137.jpg

Edited by capri-boy