• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking for advice traxxas XO1 or recommedations for fast cars

Mits_88

Traxxas took a big step backwards for me when they closed their dedicated UK parts support here in Bristol, which I kind of depended on to get me into the hobby back in the early 2000s...

Like RCButcher I can't think of not having any Traxxas vehicles - but they need to appreciate the Chinese competition is opening the game up a bit and respond. I'd love to own a Summit but I bought my Revo used for a reason - I'm not shelling out

Edited by pritch

By the time you make a Slash (or any other offroader) suitable for effective 100mph use* you will kill any versatility it had from stock. Its simple physics that dictates that a vehicle capable of being controlled at high speed on tarmac will not work offroad without significant modifications.

If you want a 100mph car thats fine - but understand that whatever you choose you will end up with a car designed to go fast in a straight line on smooth tarmac. Some chassis can also make pretty decent track cars on large circuits but suitable places are rare unless you use a Kart track!

* That is a car that is actually stable enough to drive reliably and be controllable at that speed - which is very different from the much easier to make overpowered, undriveable monster that is theoretically capable of 100 but actually won't go in a straight line long enough to test that some people build.

Edited by Si Coe

Dave- ive got no cars left anymore as i got ridof them a few years ago but used to own a tamiya fighter buggy and a hpi savage truck. Since then ive been into drones and currently ive got a mini drone and a parrot AR which i love. I think after looking at peoples advice im probably still going to go for an XO but then im going to also build a buggy or truck to bash about with. Im going to use the XO to use on meets and test it on airfields and events, some of the case mods look amazing that ive seen and theres alot of 3rd party parts being made that you can upgrade with if you want. Not going to buy them yet going to do around christmas

One thing i was worried about was the XO comes with a different rc controller then what ive always used. Im used to the old school stick systems and im sure you can change to one however i know the Xo controller actually holds and connects to an ipod or iphone to give you a live dashboard any ideas how i could get round this or should i just get used to the controller it comes with as im sure i would be able to however i still prefer stick control

I meant the Slash is versatile in that it could be changed back again - it can be made to go very, very fast, and it can also be made back into an off-roader when you get bored of high speed runs ;-)

Can't do nowt else with an XO1...

If you can convert a Slash into an XO you can do the reverse too.

Learn to use a wheel radio. I always used to run sticks, but good stick radios are rare and expensive whereas there are plenty of decent cheap wheel systems. Didn't take me long to switch and I've never looked back.....

Cheers dave i may take u up on that one day and i think im just going to practise on a wheel radio as it saves time, money and hassel. You got a good point mate as you get 2 cars for 1. I am still going to get an XO but im defo going to build a car as a project at the moment im also thinking about which lipos to get as initially im prob not going to take it past 50 or 60mph for a while any recommendations on the best brands or cheapest prices? And please have a look at this link the mod is awesome i would love to try and do that to mine when i get it -

I spoke to my local model shop and they are going to order one for me when im ready to do so and they are doingbit at the same price as everyone else unless i find it cheaper they will price match. They were giving me prices on batteries and chargers but wanted your opinions on what would be best i was offered a bog standard twin charger for

have you considered getting a xo-1 roller of ebay and build it up from there. that's what I have done. as for the batterys wait till you get the rc so you can see how much space you have for lipos, getting traxxas lipos will mean it will fit the car but will be expensive.