• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's oh no not again?!

Oh How Original

Made some changes... Put some brass fittings on the fuel lines, I'm unsure exactly which they are, I'm assuming an early version of the Full Force one, I don't know if anyones able to confirm or not?

Also put the Velocity quick release stack on, with a TGN Short Stack air filter, finally got round to fitting it, only bought it all about 6 months ago :lol: just need to stop being tight now and buy a Short Stack Outerwears :P

20151117_221415_zpsmyn0izw8.jpg

20151117_221637_zpsqkltii3u.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this finally got run today, after nearly four months without turning a wheel, two slow priming pulls, two fast pulls and she fired up no problem, was going great until I suddenly lost drive, hopefully just a drive pin, but I'll find out a bit later on when the strip down begins, she hasn't been dirty for a while so thought I'd post a couple of phone pictures :)

20151126_152142_zps2mdc6a0v.jpg

20151126_154024_zps4ssxfkwz.jpg

20151126_154534_zps1t6njq81.jpg

Hoping for kind weather tomorrow!
First time she's had a shell on for aaaages, going to see what difference it makes to the mud and crap getting into the chassis and radio box etc... It's not so much grass as actual dirt, the field is relatively sandy for a farmers field so it mixed with the mud and creates a horrid substance.
Fingers crossed this works and if so I might invest in a nice new shell and full undertray for extra protection.

20151201_230342_zpsplf8opma.jpg

Pbm hobby on ebay sell the 5b flux body painted for £19..99 or with a wing included for £29.99.

I was wondering if using a 5b body as dirt shield under my 5sc body but not sure if it will work. 

I feel the same about the forum it's broken and becoming more or a hassle to use than it should. I hope it's fixed. 

If you're running a 5sc shell, you just need to make some inner fender out of milk bottles or something similar, much cheaper Kev.

It's funny but I had a really nice HPI shell on my watch list, it had a complete Proline undertray, all matching and looked really nice, for some reason I was tempted to buy it (this was before I went out and got it stupidly messy in a few minutes) and it's the first time I've paid any attention to a shell lol, I knew I should have snapped it up, 30quid it was and looked really good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you mean you've not worn your current pair out?

I actually gave them a hard time when I reviewed them, because I was running on very hard sandy ground, they seemed to wear quickly.

But I picked up a brand new in sealed packet pair for under a tenner, using my Nectar points on eBay.

So figured I'd give them another go and stiuck to wet grass and see what's what.

They definitely grip better than MX's, nobody can say they don't, but I'm more bothered about fully testing there wear rate now.

Well the ESP ran great, it didn't half drink fuel though, I'm assuming because it's set very rich, but it used a near full tank in sub 20 minutes... Being not the all singing all dancing champion/fullmod version, I expect and hope it's more due to the richness than the porting and hopefully I'll get 30+ minutes when the carb is all set.

Very happy though, it revved well for 50% throttle and everything seems to be running fine.

Got mis-matched beadlocks due to a quick wheel change to run a bit through it on tarmac, wanted to do a bit over a full tank of fuel, and couldn't be bothered wading back into the field, it was flooded at the bottom!

Overall, a good experience :) if my first thoughts about it are right, it's going to fly!

IMG_5292_zpsk1gpgbml.jpg

Ran another  1 1/2 through the ESP today, ran very reliably as normal, I got 36 minutes from a brimmed tank to bone dry, that was gunning it as well, so the first tank being cut short must have been due to it running very rich as I thought, I started leaning it out today a bit, the nose kept lifting but the ground wasn't very grippy at all.
Seems like a good engine so far, hoping it revs harder when I've put a few more tanks through it though, it was getting outpaced by a stock CY 26 :lol:
No doubt it'll open up the more I go.
Decided as this Baja hasn't had a complete service for a good 6 months, now was the time, me and Ray have agreed we won't be getting out for a bit, he's going to be busy with family stuff over Christmas and New Year so figured now was the best time, also got the Shorty to use if we have a good day that we're all free on.
So, the tear down begins...

IMG_5312_zpsd23q8png.jpg

IMG_5313_zpswn6oyoty.jpg

IMG_5315_zpslaqs50fp.jpg

I also knew the rear chassis was a tiny bit out of shape, but when all the bolts came out I realised just how far out of shape it was... I think it's time to spend some brass on the old girl and get her a new rear chassis, can't complain at 14 months of hard use from the stock KM one though!

IMG_5316_zpsgal3g2tj.jpg

IMG_5318_zpsvxpraxqs.jpg

And I'm no spark plug expert, but this looks about perfect to me, would anyone care to weigh in if I'm right/wrong?

IMG_5319_zpsw9omywsd.jpg

Nice work on the rear chassis lol, that does inspire confidence in km for sure. We know you cain them. I'm shocked by the 30min run time of the engine but see why. Just didn't think it would be half the run time lol. Look forward to hear how it goes. I'm watching the scz too I like the look of that engine too. I hope it turns out to be well known with good rep. 

Then again at the rate I'm going the baja will be the fgs of today by the time I'm active with it lol. Long forgotten to most. 

Edited by RCbutcher

9 hours ago, RCbutcher said:

Nice work on the rear chassis lol, that does inspire confidence in km for sure. We know you cain them. I'm shocked by the 30min run time of the engine but see why. Just didn't think it would be half the run time lol. Look forward to hear how it goes. I'm watching the scz too I like the look of that engine too. I hope it turns out to be well known with good rep. 

Then again at the rate I'm going the baja will be the fgs of today by the time I'm active with it lol. Long forgotten to most. 

I certainly don't go easy on them and I'm amazinged the main chassis is still straight, that just goes to show spending an extra few quid on an RPM front bumper and the I-RC chassis brace really does work.

Actually had one of my most nasty rolls with it, flat out, hit a little bump, sent the back end up and the front just dug in, sod all I could do but watch it with my eyes closed :lol: to my amazement, not even the wing broke.

These NRP wings are definitely the business.

Did find a broken pin inside the diff, never broken one of these before, but got it all laid out ready for a fresh pin, although I might just use a drive pin with a few mm cut off it, use my new Dremel for the first time.

Ordered at about 6pm on the 23rd, it arrived yesterday morning, damn quick service!

The run time doesn't really bother me too much, the first run out it was so rich it wouldn't even tick over, that's the onnly reason it ate the fuel in sub 20 minutes, second tank was bang on 36, so if that's anything to go by, I should hopefully see 45 minutes from a tank when she's fully settled and tuned right... I can live with 45 minutes :D

IMG_5321_zpsfqfus7gv.jpg

IMG_5322_zpszcftuniu.jpg

• Like 1

As far as I can go really before the bearings arrive for the diff.
Clutch bell seemed to be getting hot, although I've noticed no clutch fade at all, I imagine it can't be doing the life of the pads much good, so drilled some cooling holes in the clutch carrier, can't do any harm.

IMG_5337_zpsbxnutd0m.jpg

IMG_5336_zps00jhjoy0.jpg

Edited by Oh How Original

Clearly all the hours I spent stripping this back and cleaning it to make it look nice was very well spent!!
Never wasting my time doing that again lol.
Had a good blast though, just what I needed, snapped my steering servo arm, ground was very sticky, nose wouldn't stay down, so put the Mini MX's on after a couple of minutes, Vipers just gripped too much.

20151229_143848_zpsmevedr5x.jpg

Got all loaded up today and went for a play... Good day overall, run both my Bajas and both ran sweet... Had one of my hardest landings to date, ripped the wing clean off and buried it into the ground, the picture shows after I started pulling it out, then thought to take a picture lol, it was almost complete gone, took me a few seconds to realise it was in one piece and not shattered all over the field :lol: anyway, definitely put this N-R-P wing to the test and it's still in one piece, both wing mounts snapped completely off, part of the cage snapped, but the wing is in tact, top job N-R-P for making a beast of a wing!

20160104_103458_zpsupzfsums.jpg

20160104_123631_zpsi1qtm5bc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So we had a run out a couple of days ago, after replacing 3 dog bone pins, as per usual, I ran out as I forgot to take all my spares, my Dad had a spare solid dog bone so I put that in, it was going great for a few minutes until as usual, I lost drive.
Went over to check and saw the dog bone has come out, managed to find it, got back to the car and noticed one of the cups wasn't looking very healthy.
Somehow, tootling round a field, with a KM dog bone, I've managed to snap my diff, shatter the bearing and snap the cup.
I went about ordering the parts as soon as I got home, not realising the diff was actually fubared as well.
Bought HPI drive cups, HPI diff cups, Darksoul Toobz and some fresh boots to run it in as strong a set up as possible with super hardened dowel pins... But since discovering the diff I'm not best pleased at how my luck seems to have gone, last 7 or 8 times out something driveline wise has gone wrong and it's all HPI gear.
So, my plans of Bashfest are cancelled and this is going in the spare room for a while, how long that 'while' is, I've no idea, fed up with it though... Not selling it but not using it.
Figured I'd take a picture of the offending parts for everyone elses amusement :)

IMG_5571_zpsfd7ag7cw.jpg