• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What would cause clutch to engage?

turtletom100

Shame to see you struggling with this still, If I were you I would just try the clutch nuts suggested by anthoop and some new springs. Silly question but have you asked in the firestorm thread? Surely they can shed some light on this..... And also, have you tried your clutch nut the other way round?

I already have one if them clutch nuts installed so don't see how it is that. And I got told not to turn the clutch h nut around as it was the correct way but looked like the springs had rode up a bit and I haven't asked in the firestoem thread vat have looked through and where I found out that answer rc shoes are what are used frequently

To take the flywheel off I use a pair of flange pliers to hold against the flywheel. And then I use the glow plug wrench on the clutch nut. (Use a rag between the pliers if you worried about scratching your flywheel). If you've been told not to fit the nut the other way round then don't. You just need to find a new clutch setup that can get you running again. Must be firestorm owners out there that can help you surely.

remove those upgraded shoes and springs and do us a favour

take a picture of them , try get clear images with detail. 

hpi firestorm clutch problems are about and most have you ghosting

the same with over idle, brake kill and movement at idle. ALL were down to bad/weak spring/s and or broken springs

and not seating correct. 

i gotta a feeling this is spring - shoe and placement issues, when you look at those shoes

is it just ONE shoe thats shrooming up ? or do all shoes exhibit this damage ? 

if its one single shoe its possible you have a dodgey spring, it may look perfect but could just be slighly weaker than others.

think of three kids on a roundabout spinning, the heavyer kids will stay in the center longer than the light kid, he gets thrown to the edge fairly quick.

now think of this happening in your clutch bell ONE shoes is lighter than the other two, so it expands out sooner and engages its gripping and slipping enough to give torque and not stall out.

go with just springs and shoes see if this combo works, 

why a new clutch bell , well the damage to your one now looks not to bad BUT it is damaged, if it has ridges they will deepen or possible cause

uneven wear on the shoes faces, this means more cost to you the end user having to replace them more often. its not a bad thing but

the damaged area will degrade quicker over time, i am thinking more about your pocket long term. but if you wish to try the old bell housing

its no worries just remember it may cause wear. 

remove those upgraded shoes and springs and do us a favour

take a picture of them , try get clear images with detail. 

hpi firestorm clutch problems are about and most have you ghosting

the same with over idle, brake kill and movement at idle. ALL were down to bad/weak spring/s and or broken springs

and not seating correct. 

i gotta a feeling this is spring - shoe and placement issues, when you look at those shoes

is it just ONE shoe thats shrooming up ? or do all shoes exhibit this damage ? 

if its one single shoe its possible you have a dodgey spring, it may look perfect but could just be slighly weaker than others.

think of three kids on a roundabout spinning, the heavyer kids will stay in the center longer than the light kid, he gets thrown to the edge fairly quick.

now think of this happening in your clutch bell ONE shoes is lighter than the other two, so it expands out sooner and engages its gripping and slipping enough to give torque and not stall out.

go with just springs and shoes see if this combo works, 

why a new clutch bell , well the damage to your one now looks not to bad BUT it is damaged, if it has ridges they will deepen or possible cause

uneven wear on the shoes faces, this means more cost to you the end user having to replace them more often. its not a bad thing but

the damaged area will degrade quicker over time, i am thinking more about your pocket long term. but if you wish to try the old bell housing

its no worries just remember it may cause wear.

Thanks for this and looking at the shoes it appears 2 are ruined (the 2 redish looking ones) 5 he black one looks ok. And the "mushrooming is on both sides of the redish ones so this would have made things worse as they were pushing out that bit more which makes me believe that they weren't seated properly as if they were flush on the flywheel to mushroom at the back would be hard. Also one of the redish ones actually managed to close the gap over the spring so can't get the spring out. Either way give us your opinion please below are images.

2w5r4lk.jpg

2daj9ty.jpg

110j611.jpg

bfgenp.jpg

10wkxu1.jpg

25ho205.jpg

j12ftc.jpg

I hope these help and sorry tinypic has decided to rotate them for myself.

With regards to clutch bell for time being I think I will run a bit of emery cloth around the inside as it doest feel like there are gawges/deep scratches just surface scuffs which again s leads me to believe that the 2 shoes that are reddish have scraped and caused heat which has changed the colour of the paint on them.

To take the flywheel off I use a pair of flange pliers to hold against the flywheel. And then I use the glow plug wrench on the clutch nut. (Use a rag between the pliers if you worried about scratching your flywheel). If you've been told not to fit the nut the other way round then don't. You just need to find a new clutch setup that can get you running again. Must be firestorm owners out there that can help you surely.

Yes there is a firestoem thread but on another forum and they recommend the answer rc shoes. Some use integy alloy (which is was in the car when I bought it) or the savage clutch shoes. I have checked the old integy shoes compared to the answer rc ones and they are identical shape/size other than the integy ones seem to have had are shame on the edges

Those shoes look like they are worn at an angle...or is it just the pictures?

It is hard to suggest what to buy to fix it as we have not found the culprit...but if I had to then...

I would buy a new set of shoes and fit them with the unused springs that you have....clean up the bell....double check that the shoes are sat correctly and that the bell is shimmed correctly and try it.

If it does not work then do not persist otherwise you may ruin the new shoes...

Oh and there are many ways to remove a flywheel without having to buy the expensive (specific RC) tool...I use a battery terminal puller...but you could use a number of methods involving molegrips/wood/a vice/hammer/etc...should you need to remove it then start a thread and many people will give you their thoughts.

Edited by Anthoop

Those shoes look like they are worn at an angle...or is it just the pictures?

It is hard to suggest what to buy to fix it as we have not found the culprit...but if I had to then...

I would buy a new set of shoes and fit them with the unused springs that you have....clean up the bell....double check that the shoes are sat correctly and that the bell is shimmed correctly and try it.

If it does not work then do not persist otherwise you may ruin the new shoes...

Oh and there are many ways to remove a flywheel without having to buy the expensive (specific RC) tool...I use a battery terminal puller...but you could use a number of methods involving molegrips/wood/a vice/hammer/etc...should you need to remove it then start a thread and many people will give you their thoughts.

Cheers Anthoop the 2 that are worn may have a slight angle on them but not a massive amount.

I have ordered new shoes and springs. I will use the 1.1mm springs aswell and I have got the answer rc three shoe clutch tool aswell to make sure I get them on correctly just incase it was partly my fault last time just using a screwdriver (maybe i didnt push the shoes down flush to the flywheel or bent the spring too much) I don't think I did but just to be safe.

I will run a bit of emery cloth around the inside of the bell and re fit then see if it still moves on idle if it does I will just buy the integy set and remove/replace flywheel and use the integy shoes and springs that come in the conversion kit.

Fingers crossed it will work but if not I will do as you say make a new thread about removing flywheel.

Cheers again for your advice and patience throughout :-)

Clutch shoes can be a PITA.  It is highly recommended to use a full system from one manufacture,. mixing and mashing shoes springs nuts leads to a lot of problems unfortunately.

I do hope u get this sorted,. take your time shimming the install ;)

Clutch shoes can be a PITA.  It is highly recommended to use a full system from one manufacture,. mixing and mashing shoes springs nuts leads to a lot of problems unfortunately.

I do hope u get this sorted,. take your time shimming the install ;)

Yea I 100% agree there and the set I just put on were all answer rc springs and shoes I lay thing is the flywheel is integy.

I don't know what these shims are and where they would be found as I have taking the shoes off the flywheel and there is no shims/washers behind it. And surely if it was/is engaging early I don't want to push the shoes out anymore as this would cause it to engage sooner/easier?