• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie needing advise

Shaggy 83

Hi all I have been looking at getting into drifting but don't have much experience with electric cars. So i Have bought this from modelsport as it seems good value.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/thunder-tiger-sparrowhawk-dx-chassis-spares-pre-owned-/rc-car-products/387667

Can anyone let me know firstly what I will need to get It going so I can learn to drift? and second what recommended upgrades I should look into for future developments?

Welcome to the fold. Honestly the only investments I would make is

1. Correct drifting tyres based on your surface. Recommend MST Hard tyres for carpet and MST Harder tyres for tarmac etc. They can be purchased via Soul RC

2. Upgraded shocks and different springs ranging from soft to hard so you can adjust rebound, response etc for the best traction

3. Shock oil if you do not have any already. anywhere between 15-40wt shock oils work good on drifters

Other than that, I wouldnt suggest you do not invest because its a very basic chassis which will let you learn the basics but nothing more. The more advanced tuning and drifting techniques will require a more catered for chassis. EG MST or a Yokomo setup. The basic stuff will mean youll end up throwing a lot at it before its as capable as a dedicated chassis.

Things to practice

1. Ensuring your drifting is controllable by not going over angle since it will slow you down

2. Controlling your speed since it will slow you down

3. Learn to use the steering properly as less corrections will prevent you from slowing down

4. Set up two cones and drift them with a figure of 8 course and then aim to do 10 laps with 2 steering adjustments per lap.