• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Black smoke from TDI!

53HRA

Hi guys :)

I have a 2007 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI,which has been owned by me for about 3 years. Purchased at 12,000 miles it has now covered 30,532 as of today...

Now the issue is that i've spotted light signs of black smoke in the rear view mirror when taking off? 

Just a note:

Always serviced including filters,oil and what not.

I've kept it spotless and still remains in showroom condition for a 7 year old car

Always run on Shell diesel,and Shell v-power nitro once a month

Never trashed or raced! 

It has been used pretty much daily for local drives and the odd motorway drive about twice a week. 

Now the smoke only happens at about 2.500-3,000 revs when taking off. Only when you purposely give it a little punch you see the smoke,and it's only a very light amount...

Any ideas? :good: 

Have you replaced the diesel filter when its been serviced ? When was last time you changed the glow plugs ?

As others have said diesels dont like short trips, take it on a motorway blast and open it up.

How much black smoke are we talking here? Plumes of the stuff or just a light wisp?

How short are these local drives? Doing short trips all the time isn't good for diesels. They need to get properly warm on a regular basis to keep them working at best. 

Umm roughly 12 miles every morning to work,and 12 miles back. Generally i do let the engine tick over no matter how long or short the journey is,and never full throttle on a cold engine!

give it a good run mate at motorway speeds if its anything to be worried about it would show signs

motor speeds normally clean all filters in cat/exhaust you got a auto or manual ?

It's a 5 speed manual bud

+1, buy some diesel injector cleaner as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah i'll give this a try first,then have a blast on the motorway to clear? 

Have you replaced the diesel filter when its been serviced ? When was last time you changed the glow plugs ?

As others have said diesels dont like short trips, take it on a motorway blast and open it up.

How much black smoke are we talking here? Plumes of the stuff or just a light wisp?

Yep all filters changed including fuel filter which if i remember correctly wasnt very long ago (2-4 months maybe?)

I don't think the glow plugs have been touched and are still original to be honest mate. As for the smoke it's a medium colour black and a lightish puff :good:

Black smoke can also mean turbo failure!

I certainly hope not! :lol:

Black smoke will be fuel related, could be the plugs if they have not been changed, maybe its just one of them thats not burning the fuel correctly, try changing the glow plugs buddy see if that helps.

I cant see it being the turbo on a vw with 30 odd k on the clock, sounds like you treat it right so i cant see it being the turbo, the turbo on my volvo t5 went pop and the smoke was blue.

just making sure about the manual auto etc as alot of new diesels have a dpf ( diesel particulate filter )and these can get clogged on lots of short hops so needs a motorway blast to clear it

also try grab some redex for diesels may help clear it up a bit ;)

Imposs to be turbo as that would be either blue or white. Bpqxk is soot, wether it be from incombusted fuel ( unlikely) or more likely you drive it like a girl. Dervs dont like being around town. Get it out on the duals, rip its knickers down and screw the crap Out of it. Lokely to be the exhaust / dpf / cat getting sooted up.

It's a diesel. A bit of soot is to be expected. Wouldn't worry about it.

Glow plugs are only used to preheat the cylinders at start up so they won't affect anything. You should get a warning light if one fails anyway.

Best thing to do is remove them and check continuity through each one, you will need a multimeter set it to bleep and put the red wire to the top of the glow plug and the red wire to the thread, if the multi meter bleeps then the glow plug is fine if not get a new one/ set there about